Michelin Anakee III; anyone tried 'em?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Monsignore, Jan 18, 2014.

1. htbyron

htbyron n00b - now with a thumper

Oddometer:
    I have the A3s on my 2017 R1200GS Rallye with 3K miles so far. They are exactly like what I experienced with the same tires on my 2014 GS -- good but noisy on the road (wet or dry), but scary on gravel and dirt. As soon as I wear them down a bit more (in the spring) I will put a pair of TKC-70s on -- that tire is much better suited to my riding preferences -- a fair bit of highway & city riding with some gravel and dirt -- it's a great all-around tire where I ride. I don't ride enough dirt to justify full knobbies like a TKC-80, which I ran for a while on the front of my 201414 with a Karoo 3 on the rear -- that's a great combo if you spend most of your time off-road but not practical for my daily driver needs.
    Mikey Mike likes this.
  2. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    When I bought my ‘15 GSA, it came with Anakee IIIs from the factory. I swapped them immediately for TKC-80s and then later slapped on a set of Heidenau K60s. I didn’t think the Anakee IIIs either looked or were aggressive enough, despite the guys’ at the shop and Michelin’s marketing department saying they really are a good dual sport tire.

Fast forward to October 2017. After getting a brand new set of Anakee Wilds confiscated by Argentina customs, I bought Anakee IIIs at the local BMW dealer because that was the only size they had in stock that would fit my ‘08 R1200GS that I had in Argentina. I was not pleased, although I had no real choice. I was also heading to Uruguay, Brazil, and Paraguay, and later to Ushuaia and Mendoza and Bolivia along the notoriously gravel covered Ruta 40.

What a surprise! The tires absolutely handled everything that was thrown at them—torrential rains, dirt, mud, red mud, gravel, hardpack, even a fair amount of sand. I now have almost 10,000 miles on them, and can say that the tires are awesome! I love their quiet ride on pavement, their traction and confidence in the rain, and never once did I have problems in any of the crazy terrain that I covered.

I now have to put on a new set of tires for my next stage, through northern Bolivia, and definitely would consider Anakee IIIs again.
  3. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Funny how radically opposed reviews on this tire are. But way more negative than positive.
  4. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I get good grip from the Anakee III on dry and wet pavement. I'm sure it's not quite as grippy as a more road oriented tire like the Pilot Road 4.

I've also been happy with them off road. They can't do deep snow or pure mud, but I've been quite happy with them on gravel, dirt, and grass. That said, I haven't run any of the more aggressive tires at all yet, so maybe I'll put those on and find out how much faster I can go off pavement.
    Parcero likes this.
  5. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Pilot Rod 4 but on pavement, the grip from the Anakee III doesn't come close to what the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II has.
  6. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I just put about 10,000 mikes on a set of Anakee 3s in Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Bolivia. I encountered pretty much every type of road or terrain—tarmac, gravel, dirt, mud, cobblestone roads—and they were great, with the exception of the really deep red mud near Iguazú. They made it, but it was slow going. But everything else they were solid!
  7. Grizzer65

Grizzer65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swapped out the Anakee 3's for TKC 80's for the start of Idaho BDR last year. We rode from North of Seattle to Jarbidge, NV, rode the BDR and then drove home for a total of 3000 miles. The front TKC 80 was at failure. The lugs all along the the circumference of the tire had ballooned up in the center. I admit to pulling some RPM's on the tarmac but I don't think that this tire should have separated like it did. Proper tire pressure was maintained. Weight should have not been an issue. This could have caused a catastrophic failure and wreck. This tire is the one that BMW puts on their bikes with the at request when ordering. It as also recommended by a lot of people as the go to tire for dual use. I don't know if i got a bad one or if road temperature, it was very hot, effected the normal performance. I heard great things about the Anakee Wilds and will be stopping in Salt Lake City to put on a set, prior to starting the UTAH BDR. I wish I had kept the tires and did a little more research on why it failed as the Anakee Wilds are more money. Good luck with your choice.
  8. ogri88

ogri88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Anakee 3's are terrible - after only about 8,000 miles (Suzuki Vstrom 650) and my most recent long haul trip (4,000 mile 2-up round trip from So-Cal to Seattle last summer) the rear has a mondo cupping (flat spot) and what appears to be a centered crack running the circumference! Anyone seen this before, as I have not?!

20180602_112636.jpg
  9. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, the "crack" is prevalent in most of their road tires from what I remember. IIRC it happens in most brands and is a way to relieve stress as the tire wears, but that's just what I read on the interwebnets so take it with a grain of salt. Also read it is inherent to the manufacturing process, blah blah blah
  10. stratman

stratman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've run Ankanee's since 06 first the 2's on my 06 GS and then 2's and 3's on my 2013 adv and now3's on my 17 adv
    they have always sung a bit but have always liked the grip and the ride (mostly twisties) and some commuting as well
  11. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    That crack is the antenna tread in the tire. It is there intentionally and serves to discharge static electricity. I have 10,200 miles on my OEM Anakee III tires and they look like they have at least 2k more in them. The noise has subsided some, no cupping, and still decent grip on the road. 38/42 psi is what I run.
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Get something other than the A3's, please.
    For 90% road on an oilhead I'd go Michelin Pilot Road 4's. Can't go wrong.
  13. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grizzer .. I had the same issue with the TKC80 front when riding in Australia but it was on hot red dirt and gravel (The temp was 40 - 45c) and I think it must be the heat from the road, maybe the combined friction. I basically lost 3 complete knobs on the edge and one pulled away completely resulting in a flat which I had to change out in the middle of nowhere and at night when it was cooler. I had to tube the tire to continue as plugs would not cut it. I managed to get to Mt.Isa, Qld and have a new tire forwarded - I used an AK wild until I got to Brisbane on the advice of a local - switched to 80s from Brisbane heading in NSW and Vic - South and no issues.

I think in normal temps the 80's are a fabulous tire but in the heat I have lost confidence. I am just getting ready to do the TAT albeit not on my GS but on a 690 so I will run TKC 80's until Trinidad and then switch them out for AK Wilds to complete Colorado, Utah and Nevada.

Will then switch the Wilds out for 70's to slab/ gravel it down to California and Vegas.
    Grizzer65 likes this.
  14. 93DR350

93DR350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat here in Colombia. They are all they have available....so thats what I’m getting.
    They’re replacing the K60 scouts, that were on it when I bought it from a state side dealer. Ive personally have put on just over 5k miles since I bought it.
    90%(~) of what i did from the US to here, was paved, they performed well, but were a bit squirrelly with a full load in the twisties in Guatemala and here in Colombia.

If you have a smaller bike (~250 or smaller) you can find all kinds of options here, large bikes are rare.
    Parcero likes this.
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread seems to have been recently revived. I was one of the few defenders of the Anakee 3's, have for a year or two now been running Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's on both an 1150 and 1200 adv, no contest, the scorpion is a vastly superior tyre.:*sip*