Michelin Anakee report

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by iillyyaa, Mar 31, 2003.

1. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    I put on a new set of sneakers last Friday, and I think I'm in love. I put about 150 miles on them on Saturday in mixed weather, and then another 30 on Sunday in pouring rain.

I liked the tires overall, so I will try to consciously balance my feedback, to remove the bias.

Here are my impressions:

Handling:
    They'r-r-r Gr-r-reat!
    Stable in straight line, nice an smooth cornering transitions. Don't fall into turns as much as TKC80's (actually, I grew accustomesd to that edge-of-the-cliff feeling, so at first it appeared that Anakees steered slower, but that went away as I got used to them.)

Dry grip:
    The tires held well over dry sections of the road, whether bumpy or not. I went to check out chicken strips after the Saturday ride, and to my satisfaction could not find any. :nod That alone obviously is not an absolute indication of the amount of available grip, but I wasn't about to go testing traction limits on New England's sandy/wet roads so early in the season.

Performance in the wet:
    :thumb Absolutely love them!
    There are two criteria that I consider when judjing a tire's performance in the wet: amount of static grip and amount of grip in a slide. The former determines what amount of lean/acceleration that will start the rear sliding, whether intentionally or not. The latter determines your ability to rein in and control the slide. I give the Anakees very high marks on both of those parameters. That is probably due to silica content in the tire compound. the tread also has a decent rubber-to-void ratio, and a good number nice-looking edges between tread blocks. I will post a picture of the trail the wet tires left on my garage floor in a minute.

Puddles on pavement/hydroplaning:
    None to speak of. Rode on sunday in puring rain. High-speed passes over deep puddles only yielded more confidence in MOAB's new sneakers.

Sandy pavement:
    As expected, these tires easily lose to TKC80's in this department. With TKC's the front always felt planted, thanks to numerous sharp edges and relatively small tread blocks. The front Anakee felt like it stepped somewhat when going over sandy patches while leaning. This is obviously normal for any street tire with large tread blocks, but was somewhat disappointing after feeling no slippage on the knobbies.

Muddy pavement:
    I wouldn't have typically put this section in a tire review, except that I had an interesting incident worth mentioning. I was doing a familiar to me tight up-hill left-hander at about 50mph, and did not appreciate the fact that there was a new house construction site to the outside of the turn. I did not notice that there was a thin sheet of wet mud streaming down the bank of the turn until I was over it. At about the same time as I noticed the mud, the rear broke traction and started overtaking me on the outside. I was already leaning over the tank (Hey, Nachflug, that's weight on the front wheel fer ye), so I stayed on the throttle the whole time, and the slide continued through the turn and stabilized as the bike straightened at the end. The front tire stayed planted the whole time. The slide was very predictable, smooth, and not at all scary. In my mind, this reflects well on the tread pttern. :thumb

Off-pavement:
    Like expected, not as planted as the TKC's, but noone expected them to be. Since I was in the "tire-testing" mode I was occasionally riding off the pavement onto the shoulder, and back onto the pavement, just to get a feeling for the high-speed stability. I came away from that relatively satisfied. It still feels like an adventure bike. I wouldn't go in the mud or sand, but for typical dirt/forest-road and camp-site navigation trhey will do just fine.

Longevity:
    TBD, but contraty to another report posted here earlier, after the first 100 miles there was not a single injection nipple left on the face of the tread. It's possibly due to the excessive wheelspin from me enthusiastically testing the traction limits, so I'll reserve my final judgement untill I have more miles to base it on.

Overall I give them two official tire-rating thumbs up (out of possible two).

I will try to find this thread later and post updates if anything new comes up.
    --
    Ilya
  2. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    You can see the tread print on the floor. The density of edges and the amount of space looks pretty good. :nod
  3. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Another picture of the rear. You can see that there's even more edges coming into play as you lean over.
  4. Gecko

Gecko Guest

So some good things still come from France then ??? :D
  5. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Don't know whether they're from France, Malaysia or China, but they're surely good. :thumb
    --
    Ilya
  6. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    They look really great on the bike!!! One question for ya- how's the rolling noise on them? Are they quiet while rolling around slow? Looks as though they would be.
  7. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    They are indeed quiet. Although, again, my most recent experience was with TKC80's: the front was badly cupped, in addition, so a freight train would seem quieter, I'm sure. :dj
    --
    Ilya
  8. Ari

Ari Been there done that

Oddometer:
    Nice report, maybe i will give them a try i never got used to the slow steer of the Tourances when compared to the T66's.
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    iillyyaa, thanks for that report. I'm getting close to new tire time, and was really curious about the Anakees. Based on your report, it would seem that Michelin has addressed their issues re: handling in the wet. Have you ever had Tourances or T66's?
  10. sashapave

sashapave riders on the strom

Oddometer:
    thanks for the report!

i think they'll be the next tires on my oilhead.
  11. AmonTobin

AmonTobin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been waiting for a report on these for a while- This is great! THANKS!

I'm more curious about how they fare against the tourance...
  12. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have the older style michelins on my bike now (txx?) and have always felt that the wet weather performance was poor. i attributed this to the large block style tread pattern of the tire, thinking that it didnt displace water very well. i also thought that while there would be alot of slippage in wet weather it was predictable and easy to control, yet somewhat unnerving. i had planned on going with metzlers on my next change. just out of curiousity where did you get them and how much?
  13. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    I guess, considering that Anakees are going head-to-head with Tourances, I should have posted in my report that "I HAVE NOT HAD TOURANCES ON MY GS". I intended for this report to be not a comparison, but a stand-alone reflection on the tires' performance.

The only other tires I had on my GS were Metzeler Enduro4 and Conti' TKC80. Anakees are lightyears ahead of Enduro4's in terms of handling and wet riding. I will try the Tourance after the Anakees are gone, just to complete the program. But if for some reason Metzeler discontinued them (don't worry, it's just for the sake of argument) I would have been perfectly happy to continue using Anakees when riding on the street.

I got the Anakee's from www.swmototires.com for $99.95/front and $116.95/rear. Total of $216.90 for the pair (free shipping.) I wasn't shopping around, I just knew they were shipping by air, and I wanted new tires SOON. Seems like a decent price anyway.

To johnscholes86:
    John, you are welcone to ride my bike before you decide whether you like the tires. We should go for a ride next weekend anyway. It's going to be rainy on Sat. and partly cloudy on Sun. so you'll be able to sample both dry and wet handling. :evil
    --
    Ilya
  14. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you been able to rack up very many miles on the Anakees? I am curious to see if your feelings have changed any with time. Do they look like they are going to last?

I need some new tires pronto. I've got it narrowed down to the Anakees or the Tourances. With the Metzies being the benchmark, I'm thinking about going with them first (TKC 80's being my only GS tire experience). Any feedback is appreciated.
  15. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    Too late. I think you've lost me as an unbiased information source. I'm hopelessly in love with the Anakees. I had a chance to ride them for ~700 miles in the wet, in the dry, on dirty and clean pavement, on road shoulders, on dirt roads, even on my lawn (okay, so they aren't all that great on wet grass, but what tires besides knobbies are?) and I am ready to recommend them to anyone who is willing to listen.

You should understand that I'm not very nice to tires. When I ride, I usually aim for sand patches and spin the wheel whenever I can. I also try to slip the rear accelerating out of sandyy turns and over road snakes. Partially for fun, and partially because I think it is a good thing to be familiar with those manoeuvres in case you get to do one without your intent. So far the Anakees are proving to be very reliable and predictable all-weather tires. I refuse to comment on longevity until I'm close to finishing a set.

I'd say if you are choosing between Tourrances and Anakees, go with Anakees, 'cause Tourance is a known and universally accepted tire, whereas Anakees are still an underdog and need you and I to try them and prove to the world that they are even better. Besides, by choosing Tourances you are locking yourself into them for a good 10K miles.

So, are you willing to commit to the boredom of certain knowledge, or are you ready to act on your spirit of discovery and adventure? :evil

If you haven't yet crossed to the dark (Tourance) side :darth, if you can still excercise your own free will, then the ball is in your court now. What say you?
    :drums
    --
    Ilya
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  17. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    :eek2 Have you guys seen the "best time on wet race track" of the TKC80's?!!!! Anyone knows which track was this??

The conti's lost 2.7 sec to the Anakee (fastest) but won 5 sec on the Trailwings!!! (same pilot?, same machine?:confused ) Weird to say the least...
  18. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    I like the way TKC's behaved in the wet. Lots of edges, predictable (if not abundant) traction, no hydroplaning to speak of. I can see that being the case...

BTW, I'm posting a picture of my tires after ~700 miles. Here's the rear:
  19. iillyyaa

iillyyaa Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer:
    And here's the front. Round as ever; no scalloping to speak of so far, even after all those stoppies.
  20. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    My spirit of discovery and adventure has gotten the better of me. Anakees on the way!

Actually, several piddly little factors came into play:
    -They are in stock in Missouri instead of Las Cruces (quicker delivery without more money)
    -They look cooler:thumb

Now to go pick up the Harbor Freight Tire Changer (and modify it to fit my wheels).

RSD