Michelin Anakee Wild with Tubes?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Oh No!, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone running Anakee Wild tires with tubes? I want to mount a set on my 890 Rally and of course the stock wheels require tubes. As I understand it, the 150 rear size Anakee Wild is a radial tire and the 90/90 front is a bias ply.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can run tubes with a tubeless tire, no sweat.
    EvilSteve, roookie1 and BHoward like this.
  3. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the rear Anakee Wild is a radial. Can I run a tube in the radial? Also, can I run the radial rear and the bias ply front together?
  4. Electorn

Electorn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run Anakee Wilds, front and rear, with tubes and have no issues at all.
  5. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know - what is your impression of the tire on the 790/890 (assuming that is what you are running the tire on)?
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I've run the Wilds in the past on an 800XC with tubes without issue.
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Oh, and on the tire mixing matching thing. To a large degree this comes from the car world and relates more to having mis-matched tires from side to side which can cause some very odd handling and braking issues. With motorcycles it's possible to select a front/rear combo that doesn't work well with each other but it's less likely unless you really take it to an extreme. I've run matched sets of MC tires that did not work well together on a particular bike so buying matched front and rears is no guarantee. I often mix front and rear brands not just model for mixed surface use.

All just my personal opinion and not based on science, just personal observation.
    BHoward and brianbrannon like this.
  8. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you like the Anakee Wild on your 800XC? I am looking for a tire that is decent off road, but not horrible on road. Longevity is not a major issue for me. My impression of the TKC 80s that came on the bike is that they are good enough on road, but not great off road. I don't expect the Anakee Wild to be dramatically different, but hoping for a small amount of additional grip off road. I am also thinking about the Motoz Rallyz, but I suspect that tire is sketchy on tarmac. I may just buy a second set of wheels and put MT 21s or something like that on them for off road adventures and run the Anakee Wild for mixed riding.
  9. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    convert the rally wheels to tubeless. so much less brain damage. plug and go. you can run neutech tubliss in the front, if rim has no safety bead.

i mix match moto tires all the time. no issues that i can tell. i just run what i like or what makes sense to me.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    If mileage is not concern the Wilds may work well for you. I have heard reports that the fronts are loud. I don't recall them being particularly loud but I ride a lot of loud tires so pretty immune to it.

The Wilds and TKCs are similar in use. Both use pretty soft rubber, large low profile "knobs", and are probably more of an even compromise between sporty fun on the street and fun on dirt and gravel. From what I've heard the AX41's may also be in the same general category.

The Wild rear seems to have a bit better drive off road than the TKC but a bit less traction braking. The fronts are pretty typical of the general design - meaning not wonderful, not horrible, will not track particularly well in mud or loam but they do hold onto the pavement better than more aggressive tires.
  11. grace

Oddometer:
    from personal experience on the bmw r1200gs, tkc is softer and has quite a bit shorter life. on rear tire, i've gotten 3500-4k miles on wilds and 2700 miles max on tkc80 on the gs. i find that the wilds outperform tkc in the dirt. tkc is a superior street tire. both tires will drag pegs on the street. tkc is a ridiculously good street tire and a very good dirt tire.

i ran the wilds front tire on the 790 for about 1500 miles and i liked tire. i switched back to more aggressive goldentyre gt723r fatty.
    windblown101 likes this.
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I ran thru two Wild rears and didn't make it to 3k (2200 miles on one and maybe 2800 on the other) but I did have fair bit of fun while they lasted so that may have had an impact on things.
    grace likes this.
  13. grace

Oddometer:
    that seems short, especially on the 790 vs the big gs. on the gs, it seemed like the second half of the tread life of the wilds lasted much longer than i expected. the tire wore much slower, after i thought they were just about done and end up lasting much longer than expected. when i thought the wilds were done, i ended get another 800+ miles from them
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    My experience with them was on an 800XC. I could have gone further on either of them and been in no danger of getting to the cords. The problem with knobbys is that if I am running them I'm probably looking for the ability for it to dig, at least to some degree in some situations. In that regard they all fall off pretty quickly as the knobs go away though the softer rubber compound tires certainly offer plenty of general grip throughout their entire lifespan.

In the end I tend to pull tires sooner rather than later once the knobs wear significantly. Probably why I lean more towards tires with deeper knobs and a harder rubber compound even though it sacrifices street and hard surface grip. Neither is the end all be all. A soft compound tire can be a real joy in hard surface slick conditions where knob depth makes zero difference.
    grace likes this.
  15. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good information. Thanks everyone for this input. I also ran the Wild's on a 1250 GS, and I thought that they were great for that bike (albeit very loud initially), but I plan to do a bit more challenging riding on the 890 Rally, and it is lighter and more capable off road, so I don't feel like I have a good enough idea of how the Wild's would work for my purposes now. I am thinking that I will go with the Wilds on the OE wheels and buy a second set of Woody's wheels in narrower sizing for more aggressive riding off road riding. On the second set I will certainly mount more aggressive off road tires, as it would make little sense to have aggressive tires on both sets of wheels. Now I need to decide what width wheels to buy from Woody's, which will obviously impact the range of tires I can run on those wheels. As my wife likes to remind me, these are good problems to have!
  16. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Windblown, what tires are you running on your 790 now?
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neutech tubliss in the front is only if you lace a 1.6" front....anything else is a non starter....more trouble than it is worth
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    At the moment I'm finishing off a Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T front and Motoz Rallz rear left over from last fall.

I like the tracking of the H/T front offroad a bit better than the Rallz but the Rallz front and rear are my general purpose long range tires.

When range is not a major factor I have a second set of rims for regional more off-road biased use. I haven't settled on any one set of tires for them yet. To date on the rear I've run Dunlop 908RR, M21's, and Pirelli Scorpion Rally Pro. On the front I've run the Pirelli Scorpion Rally and The Golden tire 216 fatty.

But keep in mind, I view my 790 as more of a long range dirt bike that is comfy to ride on the street than as a street bike to run some gravel roads on, so that's the direction my tires choices lean and may not work well for others at all.
  19. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. What are your thoughts on the Rallyz tires on the street? I don't plan to treat the 890 as a Moto GP bike on the street, but I don't want to ride on tires that get really sketchy going around curvy paved roads or riding down the highway at a moderate pace either.
  20. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get one of these, and use both a knobbie and a street tire.

LNQGMRDM67YVBUY3QEOE4IWD3E.jpg
    bikemoto, grace and windblown101 like this.