Michelin Anakee Wild with Tubes?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Oh No!, Apr 15, 2021.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Naturally they won't give you utlimate bite on the street, and in wet cold rain I would not push them like they were a premium sport touring tire but I've never felt the need to drop below the speed limit on them.

So are they good enough? I don't know how to answer that as it's hard for me to know what others consider an acceptably fun street pace. For one thing I'm old... what I consider a fun pace could be a snooze fest for others. Maybe @Nowwhat or @EvilSteve can chime in from their viewpoint if they recall the run back thru the paved twisties on the way to Panamint Springs after a day in the dirt. They are about the only folks that has been around when I dialed up the fun meter on the 790 for a bit on pavement.

It was the end of the day and they had been kicking my ass dragging me thru hell all day, LOL. It felt good to get my sorry ass back onto smooth pavement!
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Your were damn near dragging your foot pegs on the pavement....
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

Oddometer:
    These days that's "Good enough" for me.

@Oh No! The pace at which I feel the Rallz start to cry uncle and squirm on pavement is just about the same time my fun meter is maxing out anyway on a public road so for me pavement grip is a non-issue. But still, read around in the tire thread and you will find several folks who don't care for the Rallz front much. It doesn't feel as planted at speed as some tires. You started this thread saying mileage is not a huge factor. I'd slap a set of the Wilds on in that case. In no way do I think they are a bad tire and they do have a bit more grip on pavement than the Rallz for that extra bit of cushion.
  4. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I remember being the slowest one on the street out of that group...

For me, if you want to go drag knee fast, get a different set of wheels with street tyres, better yet, get a different bike (like I did, Super Duke GT). The RallZ front is just ok IMO. Offroad it doesn't have great edge grip in loose surfaces. On road it's pretty good, the knobs aren't super far apart so it handles pretty well. The RallZ rear is pretty good IMO, good grip, great longevity (at least with wider wheels) and works really well.

I can go as fast as I'm comfortable with on the bike and have fun and I'm still slower than other people on the same tyres (or more offroad focussed).

I really think that we over think this stuff, get some tyres and get something different later if they don't do what you want. Very few people actually push their bikes or tyres that far. IDK, I'm just blah blah-ing now. shrug
  5. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've run tubliss on 1.6 and 1.85 rims and tubliss worked great. on a 2021 ktm 690e, i run excel a60 rims with tubliss front/rear (1.6/2.15). i ran tubliss on the 790 on a 1.85 excel front rim. after bending that rim, i went to excel a60(1.6) running tubliss -still bent 1.6 rim. tubliss works great in both 1.85 and 1.6 sizes. i ran tubliss on the oem 1.85 rim on a 2014 690e and it worked great. jeff, owner of neutech, actually prefers neutech on a 1.85 rim.

i prefer tubliss to tubeless and waaaay, waaaay more than tubes. i won't run tubes.
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Burps too easy on a 1.85 always losing pressure if you run them at speed off road
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Most manufacturers state you go down a speed rating when you do this, so it’s perfectly legit.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    If you look at the matched sets offered by the tyre manufacturers, you’ll see there are bias front/rear, radial front/rear, bias front radial rear, and radial front bias rear. So I don’t think mixing and matching is a problem.

The old adage “don’t mix types” is likely not relevant anymore. Probably relevant on a hyper-sport street bike, maybe?
  9. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the valve stem being off center on the rear wheel cause an issue with running a tube?
  10. eRdd

eRdd Why come you got no tattoo?

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about offset valve stem and tubes too. I have a tube type rear kicking around in the garage and want to know if it will work, or if I should sell it. I haven't been able to find any real answer.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    In the short term (Emergency repair to get back to civilization) it's not an issue. In the long term if you wanted to run a tube with the stock rim the options would be drill a centralized hole for it or buy a tube with an offset valve stem. I understand Motoz makes tubes with an offset valve stem, perhaps a few others?
  12. eRdd

eRdd Why come you got no tattoo?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up about the Motoz tube. Pretty expensive! I've had a search for a more reasonably prices alternative with little luck. I've sent a few emails to see if any companies have options.
  13. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not an issue for me. The OE wheels on the Rally have centered valve stems.
  14. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run Anakee wilds on my 790, great tyre. Unfortunately due to supply issues I was forced to run a Bridgestone X41 recently and they are just too single dimensional. No bite from the rubber compound when crossing rivers with big boulders unlike the Michelin that has excellent drive on wet surfaces. Also in the deep mud the Anakee still had drive when the Bridgestone would just spin.
  15. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the Anakee wilds, one of the only tires on this bike that doesn't leave me wanting for traction on road or off. Less (basically none) high speed wobble than some other tires i've had on the 790.
  16. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us more about your experience with X41? Specifically, can you talk about the front tire and the rear tire behaviors separately? I am planning on using it on the front only, so I would be interested in the tracking and deflection characteristics of that tire. I am happy with the Motoz Rallz on the rear so I'm sticking with it.
  17. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Grace,
    Could you please explain how you did this on the Rally 2.15" and 4.00" wheels?
    Thanks.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is he talking Bridgestone Battleax AX41 adventurecross? I'm curios as to their performance on the front vs rear also.
  19. catfishhands

catfishhands Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anakee Wild's lasted about 1000 miles on my Africa Twin. They are made from Play-Doh brand rubber and peanut butter. The knobbies bend during spirited cornering and give you that wonderful skating sensation. I don't feel like they were any better offroad than the Dunlop Trailmax Missionaries.
  20. privateer

privateer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sidewalls on the Anakee Wilds are much thicker than the AX41s . I would run Wilds again but not AX41s.