Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail (MCCCT)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 15, 2006.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    History keeps repeating itself. . .
    Maybe we can encourage a few others to enjoy these trips.
  2. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Great report and pics! You make the trip come to life, I feel as though I've been there(well I have, a small part of it a long time ago) You give us guys(40 and up) inspiration to go dirt biking again.

Now back to page 5 to continue the story.
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Bryan, you under estimate yourself. You are ready for an enduro. You may not win, but you will finish. It just takes the will to do so and you proved it, by that ride. Nice job.

I've got to go there. Looks like great riding. And I think you made a good choice with the wet weather. Wet sand is sooooo much better than dry sand!!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I REALLY enjoyed enduros 20-25 years ago. Back then I rode really hard just trying not to hour out. I did score a second in Open C once - must not have been too many riders in that class that day . . .
    Yeah, I would finish. I only quit once, after riding the first 60 mile loop with a broken clutch hand. Had to stick it into a cooler full of beer just to get the glove off. Young and dumb.

For now, I think I really like the dual sport stuff. Although, when someone passes me on the trail I still get a little sporty and sometimes the race is on. . . The DS is nice because you can "race" a little and then stop and chat or take a few pictures.

You would have a blast at the Six Days of Michigan in July. You could get in on some great trail rides or mix in some dual sport rides as well (the DS rides are combos of trail and 2 track and other neat stuff). Plus, it is great to see all the bikes and riders gathered there.
  5. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Great report :clap

I grew up in Michigan but my parents weren't so into letting me have anything bigger than a minibike. As soon as I turned 18 I went out and bought a little dualsport honda, but I moved out shortly thereafter... Been DYING to come home and run the 6 Days or one of the Safaris, but it's a good 800+ miles away noe, so it's a bit daunting. When I think of all the hassles we go through in the northeast to ride teeny tiny areas compared to what exists back in Michigan it can really get a man down. Still have Michigan plates, though, and I'll do it one day. Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics.

-Luke
  6. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were trying that this year as an option, but it didn't work out. Found some new paper that is supposed to be "the stuff" that we are going to try, hopefully, in the near future.
    Know the spot, it's been rerouted on the pavement for that section. Your "missed turn" was actually the correct path. I need to update the Safari package to show this.
    Did you actually go down/through that muddy road? Looked pretty deep when I was up there checking it out last fall.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there were one or two bad spots, the rest was just messy. It was more like a grassy lane with mud holes.
  8. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    That was near Caberfae, I believe. FD has the GPS tracks, so he could tell you. We discussed riding the whole M3CT in a week. That would allow a more relaxed pace, and maybe I could throw a line in the Pine.

Those whoops pics make my thighs ache. I couldn't walk straight for 3 days after. Third gear, bouncing across the tops, wandering tires on the sandy ones... but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :deal
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Take a good look at those 1200 mile dual sport safaris (upper or lower peninsula). It would be a very comfortable and enjoyable five day ride. In the lower peninsula you get more technical riding on the safari plus you have a lot of opportunities to jump on the single track. Now that I tried them all, I would recommend the LPDSS for the reasons I just mentioned.
    12bridn likes this.
  10. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    Great report and great pics. Makes me want to take a week off and head up there.

Gotta give you lots of credit for doing it solo. After seeing the pictures I wouldn't attempt it without at least 1 riding partner.
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this one but a buddy just e-mailed me the link. WOW! Well done, I am envious!
  12. Neil Claydon

Neil Claydon Don't follow me, I'm lost

Oddometer:
    What a superb report and pics.:clap :clap
    And thanks for the PM .
    Neil.
  13. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride. Awesome report. Thanks for the PM heads up. :clap :clap
    (I just had to read it again and again)
  14. kittycactus

kittycactus Banned

Oddometer:
    Great report and pictures! Makes me proud that we have such a cool trail system in our state. I have to say though, that if my husband told me he was going to do the ride you did solo, I would be a nervous wreck worrying about him.

You had a couple of shots of big downed trees across the trail, how time consuming was it to get around them? We were on part of the Tomahawk B loop yesterday and there are a lot of trees down, but that trail also gets a lot of traffic and there was a beaten path around the downed stuff; doesn't seem to be the case on some of the sections you were on.

Again, good job!
  15. Singletrack Mind

Singletrack Mind DNS DNF DNR

Oddometer:
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    KC,
    In some areas there is not a lot of trail use. You just pick your way around the deadfalls through the woods trying not to tear things up off the trail (tread lightly). The maintenance crews should have the major drops cleaned up this month I guess. Although, I was on someone's fresh track one day and it became apparent a tree dropped since that person went through - kind of neat. There is always something to inerrupt your groove . . .
  17. tittiger

tittiger n00b

Oddometer:
    >Dirt-Bagz for cargo and a Wolferman tank bag.
    >Cee-Bailey windshield (knew it was a bad idea but I did it anyway - busted >it off).
    >Handlebar mount GPS.
    >Tent, sleeping bag tied down tight with a rachet strap and a bungee web.

I have taken a few camping trips on my KLR and am amazed by how little others seem to take when doing the same.

I have a big wolman tank bag, tank panniers, 10 inch aluminum panniers and a large dry bag on the back seat!!! :huh

Joe - Fort Myers FL
  18. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I did'nt see this till now. Why did we not hear this tale fireside in Trenary?

Congrats on the ride, and thanks for the report. I will be doing that soon, I am sure of it! Thanks for the encouragement!
  19. MNwilly

MNwilly RIP, my friend...

Oddometer:
    We talked about it every time we took a break on Saturday. I will be coming back to see you guys, even after I move. Don't forget, my mom lives in Eastern Wisconson.:deal
  20. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

You rang... :wink:

Awesome report. It blows me away that there's a trail like this. The longest continuous trail anywhere near here (that allows bikes -- snowmobiles are a different story) is about 21 miles. Boring old railbed, too.

Might be worth throwing a couple bikes on a trailer and heading out that way...

Great report, thanks! :thumb