Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail (MCCCT)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 15, 2006.

1. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannon. I was just reading your 05 6 days report. I was up there at the fairgrounds where you guys were staging out of. We wandered over there for the riders meating the night before everyone was scheduled to ride Drummond. I was over on Drummond marking trail for the event and getting it ready the day before. Then had to ride it again to run sweep after everyone had gone thru. Man that will wipe a person out big time.

But yea I was up there. We just keep missing meeting each other dont we :freaky
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hi Nick!
    The dirt-bagz worked really well - even with the whoops. They bring the load down a little lower than what I used to do before - carrying things on the rear rack. I have the larger size set. They fit in tight to the bike. I had no problem getting between the trees on the trail. Being down a little lower they make it easier to handle a loaded bike. Having soft side bags is pretty nice when you lay the bike down too - easier on me if we connect. The bags have some straps inside to keep things packed tight. They also have an external strap to keep things tight if you have them loaded pretty heavy. I am satisfied with the durability. Here is a link that shows the installation and hardware that might give you a better idea of how they are fastened to the bike.
    https://cannonshot.smugmug.com/gallery/1362748

YZman: Yeah, we never quite run into each other do we. Hope we get a chance to ride together this season. Maybe a trip on your soon to be acquired DL . . .

Freeflow: This is a nice trail for your new Honda . . .
  3. simon@vic

simon@vic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great shots great trail.
    thank you for taking the time to post.
  4. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good write up. It takes detemination. After riding with you on that first day,raining and cold, I knew you could do it. Quite an accomplishment, one that not many can claim. Looking forward to doing some more rides in 07.
  5. kzoo

kzoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can read through this thread over and over.... Nice article CS...:clap
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Greg,
    I know I told you and Maynard before, but thanks for showing up and riding along that first cold and rainy day. A lot of guys would have found a reason to bail out. Means a lot to me to have friends you can count on. I'll be back to Michigan this season. Looking forward to riding some dirt (actually sand, I guess) together!

Kzoo,
    I'm glad you enjoy the thread and I hope it brings back memories of the ride on it that you guys took last summer. It was pretty dificult to try to tell the story in 1200-1400 words in the magazine article. Hope it tells enough of the story. To me the pictures usually tell more than the text.
  7. Brian y

Brian y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannontrek is going to be where this year, what are your thoughts thus far?

Can't wait for CTII

Brian y
  8. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Great report...thanks...:thumb
  9. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot are there some areas that a new rider could do? I know parts of northern Michigan have lots of sand. My son and I are just starting to ride dirt and looking for trails. Thanks.
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bryan, I read this report all the way through in the spring of 2006, but I was in lurk mode and never said thanks. This is a memorable ride report. Thanks for the writeup.
  11. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    Did you carry a small bow saw w/ you or something?:huh
  12. CeeBee

CeeBee The Cake Baker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump, It was a great read. I'll make plans for the six day. :clap
  13. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    You usualy can go around most things like that..or over them like I prefer. Even though it looks really dense forrest next to the trail Im betting you can get around it.
  14. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    I know you can go around most of the time in some form or fashion, even if you have to all the way around and just ride in from the other side. I was sort of joking around in the sense that this type of tree (white oak) is very tough and hard to cut up, it's also very heavy. An inside Michigan kind of joking observation. Early in the year with the ice and wind of winter season there's tons of downed timber all over the woods here and a chainsaw would really be required. I have a rack on back my KLR big enough to strap on my Jonsereds and that's how I do it.
  15. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
  16. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
  17. BentAero

BentAero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,

If you're still around here, thanks for the great story.

I lived my 1st 43 years in Michigan and believe that I've rode nearly every one of the CCC/marked trails in the lower peninsula. I would LOVE to get back up to MI and do some hard-core off-roading once again. We don't have any of that wonderful, loveable, soft sand here. Oh how I miss sand!

Not sure if I would recommend doing the MCCCT in early May as you did, the weather can be pretty iffy that early in the year. I remember being caught in a snowstorm near Grayling on Mothers day weekend while some 40 miles from camp...

With any luck, I'll be able to do the SDofM in '09.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Surprised to see this ride pop up. It has been a while since I did it. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Since then some new riding has appeared. The Great Lakes Dual Sporters published 3500 miles of great dual sport stuff (GPS tracks and maps) in both the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan. These rides are a lot more fun than the grueling marathon that the MCCCT can be. In the LP segment, there is a bunch of single track worked into the routes as well - some of it from the MCCCT. I skipped the Six Days this year to ride the 1100 mile LP loop.

Here is the overview:
    [​IMG]

Here is a report about the LP loop:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364415

Here is a report that gives some info about the UP loop:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352617

Here is where you download the tracks and maps:
    http://www.gldsmc.org/GLDSEXmi.html

I don't think I'll ever ride the MCCCT again - at least not in one burst, but I would ride these DS routes again as they are that entertaining.

For anyone thinking about the MCCCT, I'd give serious consideration to these other dual sport routes. They are a great time!
  19. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannonshot! My husband and I are doing the MCCCT starting September 6 - picking it up near Indian River and seeing how far we get in five days. Not camping to save weight and space. I'm the weak link in the equation, so not sure how many miles I can do in a day. Have also read this ride report a couple of times now and it's a good one.

Any chance you're going to do the GLDS Chandler Hill Challenge this year? It's a great ride. The food isn't quite as good as Wabeno, but it's not too shabby.

Stacey
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hi Stacey!

The Chandler Hill area has some great riding. I'm sure it will be a fabulous event. I've got some other irons in the fire though soI won't be there.

Hope you have a great time on the MCCCT. If I was leaving from Indian River I would first go south toward White Cloud as there is some great riding on the west side.

You might want to take along the downloads from Expedition Michigan in case you decide you want to ride that route back to Indian River.

Have a good time!

(Watch out for ATVs!)