Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail (MCCCT)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 15, 2006.

1. gasit4fun

gasit4fun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the writeup. I'm originally from MI, now I'm in New York. I miss the trails - there is nothing in NY like the awesome trail system in MI. Really, sometimes I miss the sand whoopers! Great pics.
  2. NJDRT-RDR

NJDRT-RDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a great time. I loved it when I did it. You can get in quite a bit in 5 days.
    Nick
  3. gixracer

gixracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    gotta love this trail
    last week went from gladwin up to luzern and back man is it tough :baldy :thumb
    tommorow morning i am in for luzern to as far north as i can get.
    the singletrack is killer

enjoy this ride folks, fyi it is real tough and grueling in certain sections but hey wtf go ride it and ride your heart out :freaky
    next year lowduck and i are making a week out of it :clap
  4. JerseyBlues

JerseyBlues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Nice ride!
  5. suppresst

suppresst n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot, I'm a middle-aged rider (Michigan resident) new to the sport (trail riding) and wonder if you could at least steer me towards the top two or three streches of the MCCCT trail (ORV sticker only/long enough to be worth driving a couple/three hours each way to get to) that would be agreeable to my aching back. The picture above is very inviting and is the kind of riding I'm longing to discover. Call it a request for an extreme thumbnail version of your "greatest hit's" of the lower peninsula.
  6. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am not answering for CS, just my opinion......

Go ride it. Take a little bit every weekend or everytime you go. That is really the only way to know.

The riding area that I do to has 75ish miles of trail, over 100 if you count minimum maintenance forest roads. When I go up there, I usually have a really good idea of what I want to ride. Most of the time, I get up there and change my mind and do something totally different.

I also find that the more I explore, the more I like some stuff that does not get ridden as much as some other stuff.

Another suggestion....

Everytime you go, put a post in the Central forum. I have done the same and ended up riding with people that I probably never would have. We also explored some trails that I might not have on my own (I thought they were too easy, turned out they were fast, flowing and fun, fun, fun.)

Have fun.

Tom B
  7. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I could pick those stretches out for you right now as so much is a blur. :lol3

I would recommend a greatest hits kind of ride in the lower peninsula like this one as an alternative:
    3500 Miles of Mapped/GPSed Dual Sport Routes - 1200 Mile Sampler

You can break it into smaller loop rides and really have a blast with it.
  8. suppresst

suppresst n00b

Oddometer:
    "Everytime you go, put a post in the Central forum. I have done the same and ended up riding with people that I probably never would have. We also explored some trails that I might not have on my own (I thought they were too easy, turned out they were fast, flowing and fun, fun, fun.)"

My experience with this website is one post thus far, two if you include this one. I'm not sure what you are suggesting - are you suggesting I post notice on forum in advance of a ride, and interested persons may contact me? Where does one do that (which forum). Also, where shall I look for posts about rides I might want to participate in?
  9. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Look in the Central region forum.
  10. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Bump. I posted here 15 years ago, having just ridden part of this same trail system. It needs to go back to the top.

Cannonshot, are any sections of this trail fairly easy? Since I was last there, I grew two munchkins who now also ride, 11 and 14, and was hoping to make a weekend out of it. I recall the area I rode was not too bad, but hell if I could tell you where that was lol.
    MeefZah likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, some sections are more solid than sandy (and less whooped than others). :D

I would have a hard time being specific after all this time other than my general knowledge about some areas in the LP. I'd be hesitant to try reliably identify easier sections. I'm sure some others that ride some of these segments more regularly could help out with that kind of information. Many of the segments are part of other trail systems so information about those would be relevant. I use the VVmapping GPS background maps for these kinds of things and their online trail guide can be helpful as well.

I hope you have a blast on some of this!
    12bridn likes this.
  12. shalbleib

shalbleib Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this but all the image links are broke after the first page?
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. The image links were fine a short time ago. I'll look into to this to see what is going on and se if I can't get things restored.

EDIT: I just tried another browser and everything is there.
  14. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    I just tried three browsers, and no images...
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm rebuilding it now. Will take some time.
  16. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Did smugmug change their link structure or something?
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I don't know what happened for sure, but I did try to restore it. It isn't exactly the original, but it covers it pretty well.
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Meef, did you ever take my old KLX400 on these trails? I often wonder what happened to that bike. One of my faves.

20. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.

I rode 2 Cannontreks in the UP on a KLX250S and a WR250R between 2008 - 2010 (?).

I did the MCCCT on a KLR650 back in 2007 (?) with a few other guys (using this very trip report as a planning guide).

But that KLX400 never left Ohio until such time as I sold it to an inmate in Michigan. That's been a few years... don't recall his name. Prior to selling it though, I rode the hell out of it on east Ohio trails...