Michigan GPS advice needed

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by matkal, Apr 3, 2021.

1. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    Regarding offline GPS apps; I have the free versions of Gaia and Topo Maps + and have been trying to decide which one to pay for. I haven't had time to use them in remote areas and I'm trying to figure out which one is best for Michigan and then which map(s) are better for MI.
    This is mostly going to be for using my Jeep
    Any advise would be appreciated.
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m a fan of VV Mapping for all things MI and WI. Plus, Jeremy in an Inmate and a MI resident.
  3. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    will his maps work with Gaia and or Topo Maps+?
  4. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Did you click on the link? He has his own maps. You’d use it instead of the others.
  5. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    I understand that VV maps are his own maps, I used them on a Garmin when I was riding single track on my motorcycle. I didn't see where it says that they will work with Gaia and Top Maps apps that are used on phones or tablets. Will they? Forgive me but I'm not up on the latest GPS, I just know that I like how those two apps work and want to use one or the other of them with any map that works well in Michigan on not just trails and ORV routes but dirt roads and "unimproved " roads and logging roads as well.
  6. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    My mistake. I saw GPS and assumed you were talking Garmin. I’m a GPS guy, not a phone app guy, so no...not what you want. His stuff downloads onto your GPS. Sorry for the confusion.
    matkal likes this.
  7. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    matkal likes this.
  8. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a quick 5 minutes of messing with Gaia, I cannot use the Red Pine snowmobile maps in the same way as I can with Locus Pro. As RedpineMapping is no longer in business and VVmapping is they surely have superior products and customer service. I will probably be purchasing the VV sled and/or ORV maps as a buddy of mine had a great experience with them this winter.

As far as how I use the Redpine maps in Locus, it is not clean nor user friendly and does not provide turn-by-turn instructions. If you are still interested after that fair warning, I'll share my technique.
  9. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    I bought a Samsung 8" TabA and I've decided on Gaia. I'll work within it's pro's and con's. At this point I don't plan on making routes or tracks just finding DNR routes and forest service roads.
  10. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use vvmapping on android with oruxmaps. Vvmapping has a how-to on their website
    matkal likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I do a lot of DS/ADV scouting and mapping in this region and when I do I use the VVmapping product because of the quality of the background map. It is very good compared to some things I tried.
    matkal likes this.