Michigan to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Phlooburoo, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Phlooburoo

Phlooburoo More Pagan Proclivities!

Oddometer:
    Planning this 14-to-17-day trip for summer '08 and thought I'd solicit some suggestions on travel routes, destinations, dining, and the best time of year weather-wise.

Edit: Found this thread specific to NS, which I'll watch, so from here on I guess I'm looking for tips on routes and destinations to get to NS from MI... the other thread seems to cover what to look forward to when we get there.

I'll be on a DL1000 and my wife on an F650GS. We'll probably spend most of our time on pavement, but would enjoy some dirt as well (though nothing too technical; we're still noobs in dirt).

We'll likely jump straight into Canada from Michigan and stay in Canada so we don't have to mess with border crossings more than once each direction. Loop around Maine through New Brunswick and down into Nova Scotia.

We might bring camping gear in case we're compelled to spend a night under the sky, but we'll likely spend most evenings in a motel or B&B... preferably one with a hot tub.

Only been to Toronto, so we don't have much knowledge of the roads and sights that lay east. Any recommedations on anything between Michigan and Nova Scotia would be appreciated.

Cheers!
  2. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    What I'd do right off the bat is go into the Bruce Peninsula (georgian Bay) and spend a night in that park. Its not too far, and it'll let you pass through sarnia instead of the clusterfuck downtown. Then follow what have you through toronto and perhaps find a place near quebec. Stop in and see the falls on the way if you havent yet, they're fantastic! Montreal is another MUST see, go into the historic district and see if you can get into some of the "old" catacombs. From there, its as planned in all the other threads. Follow the south shore up into baie commeu (sp?) and through all the dams. On and on if you're doing that route (goose bay). Otherwise from there, you can get a ferry to take you from somewhere in that region out ot the island and you can spend a few days encircling the cabot trail. Meat Cove has been ranted and raved to be a place to stay, so I'd also second that opinion. Take lots of pictures, and PM me if you want a companion in early may :deal
  3. riceburner30281

riceburner30281 misADVenturer

Oddometer:
    mid-june-july will subscribe to this thread and check back with updates
  4. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Let me start by say'n "hi".I started the thread you were talking about.I also am planing a trip too Nova Soctia,in the summer of 08.
    I don't think were going threw New Burswick,but just going threw Maine to the ferry from upstate New York.At the moment there's 4 of us,ride'n everything from a weestrom to a couple of coni's,and even a new verseys.
    Were planing it for the last two weeks of June,and your more then welcome to tag along with us.If not maybe we can meet up for a night,for dinner and drinks.Always look'n for a reason to meet a fellow inmate.
    Ethierway,the point is theres some good people with some good advise around this page,and if theres any info i get that i think you might need or want i'll p.m. it.
    Good luck,ride hard and shoot straight!:D
  5. Phlooburoo

Phlooburoo More Pagan Proclivities!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies thus far, folks.

I'll keep the others making the trip in mind. Which month we go all depends on when my wife can swing vacation time. Originally I was thinking late May, but after checking the historical weather fluctuations for the region, July and August are the warmest months in NS, with the average topping out around 72-degrees. Sounds perfect.

Actually, I don't mind riding in the cold, but my wife prefers more moderate temps than the 50+degrees we'd likely find in May.

Edit: Just want to clarify that I stand corrected... we took the bikes out today in the mid-30s and my wife wasn't phased by the temps. Looks like her new gear works as advertised!

...but it'll likely still come down to which two-week stretch she can get off work.

Would be nice to share the trip, or at least parts of it, with some folks. Hopefully it works out.

Cheers.
  6. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that nullifies my comment! i prefer to avoid crowds, which riules out summer months, but it's best to keep the little lady happy, no? :D here is a trip report which may or may not be useful:

http://webpages.charter.net/jkd2/maritimes_1.htm

enjoy the trip.
  7. Colpitts

Colpitts poop

Oddometer:
    I can answer any questions you have about NB.

You have a few options for a route depending on what your looking for.

You can cross the province in the dirt if your in no hurry.

You can zip across on the 4 lane highway if you like.

You can take route 105 wich runs beside the Sait John river for a couple hounred kilometers(oh yeah you better get used to KPH too!) and also offers camp grounds and b&b's.

If your into Seafood you can find some of the best on the south shore between St.Stephen and Saint John.
  8. mechnoman

mechnoman wrenchn

Oddometer:
    Wheres the seafood..headn your way end of July crossn over at St. Stevens....needs some names..also good campgrounds...stayed at one this year just outside St. Stevens looked good from highway..the washrooms and showers where a bio hazard....your help greatly appreciated