Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dano :)

hahaha thanks so much, man, yes I will talk to the powers and find out what and how I am allowed to tell about the new venture.

Duuude :beer
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    1000 bottles is a very strong reason for us to turn these horses around sir. Thanks so much for the kind offer, I think we might just take you up in it. :freaky

Yes, it was not an easy decision. South African currency is rubbish against the 1st world economies. The plan was to start in the USA, go up into Canada and return and go down to Mexico. Halfway through the USA it bombed us that even with camping as much as possible we would run out of budget quite quick. So we had to cut it short and turn and run for Mexico.

If all goes to plan, we want to finish South America in the next year or so and head back up towards the USA and into Canada, seeing we know a bit more now how to go about travelling the USA.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    After all this time on those altitudes, what blows me away is the people living and working there. I mean hard labour farming, building stuff. I am sure you have to be born there with lungs the size of blowup dolls and the ability to suck a glass Coke bottle till it breaks. It is bloody hard work to hike up a hill. And sucking on a beer becomes tedious :lol3

That is what got Elsebie so happy, in her delirious state from the lack of oxygen she also thought it to be a doughnut. I had to leave her to take a bite, she just did not believe me :lol3
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    Early morning and the weather app told us it was going to be clear open day. It was time to hit the two parts over the mountains.

Start at 3000m then go all the way up to 4500m over the Andes and descent into a small town to sleep.

[​IMG]

They paved this part of the road over the mountain which was actually quite nice as it gave us massive amounts of fun on the passes. There were no cars and we could ride like hooligans.
    Part of the luxury of travelling out of season. Not that I think that road will be traffic jam any time soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Suzuki's always have this happy dog tail wagging thing going, for some reason they know when we hit the top and going down. Man, they are bloody fast going down. :lol3
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    On descending, the road passes lakes and a hanging glacier. At one of the lakes, we stopped to make some coffee. It was still cold so depending on the temperature we add a shot of whiskey to increase the happiness.

As we packed out the multi-fuel we saw this lovely lady singing into the air with a massive speaker next to her and fluffer going at the hair. Short distance away a video guy was impatiently waiting for the fluffing to end. In all that I also ask if I could have a go taking some photos of her. I emailed her a few weeks later. Hopefully, my photos will grace some billboard with her on somewhere in Peru.

And then she really started singing and we figured this must be the making of a music video we stumbled upon. We had front seat tickets to the production of a local Peruvian star recording her songs. Little did we know she was quite a star and celebrity in Peru.

We engaged in some hand signal chatting and with much fanfare, we left with a CD she offered us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just there!
    You heading North? Would still love to party with you two some day.
    ScotsFire and michnus like this.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    The next two days would be an all-out ball to the wall fun riding. Pavement and dirt, just a nice mix and throw in the scenery and landscape and this turned out to be the main event in Peru.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As with every other small town in South America the church is the main place of gathering and also the most elaborate. It is a stark contrast to what is outside of this building.

[​IMG]
    The only shop in town, at least had some bread, ice cream, and cheese. Life is easy going and relaxed.

[​IMG]
    Elsebie; "And then I pulled the bike over, and hammer the throttle, spin up the rear wheel to get out of the turn and avoid hitting the old man with the wheelbarrow in the road"
    Lady: "Laugh, and laugh and laugh"

And neither understood a word what was said. The old lady actually just asked if Elsebie could share a Churros recipe.

Well from where I was sitting chucking on my beer that is how I read the conversation. :photog

We head out early morning as we knew it was going to be an epic riding day and there were photos to be taken. Memories to be made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was some of the bloody nicest views on dirt we have ever seen. And fun to ride, it was only us.

[​IMG]
    The gods of dirt and adventure bikes smiled on us! This was 4000m something and we were going down to around 2500m in no more than 50-70km.

[​IMG]
    We stood there for an hour or longer mesmerized the expanse in front of us. It was m.i.n.d.b.l.ow.i.n.g!! The grey matter struggles to compute the size and beauty of it all. I tried to take a panorama but it will never convey the real McKoy.

[​IMG]
    The drop form the tops to the roads and valley below must be more than a kilometer. These are two different mountain peaks on each side towering into the clouds over 5700m.

[​IMG]
    If vertigo is your thing then this ain't for you.

[​IMG]
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Howzit Daniel!! Are you not still in Chile?

Unfortunately not, we are in Brazil already. I am reaaaally late on the updates :D
    But if possible ever we can hook up it would be cool!
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’ll be entering Argentina right after Christmas and will follow Ruta 40 mostly to Mendoza then back into Chile headed towards the Austral
    michnus likes this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    So where are you now? Yes don't miss Austral, but if you missed the north of Argentina then turn around, it is seriously good riding and scenery.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    0F03FFAE-BFDF-4582-A8A3-20DE22ABDD1C.jpeg
    I’m in San Pedro de Atacama. Staying here through Christmas. Then only a few hours from Argentina border (northern Argentina)
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Okay so you are going into Arg then South in Ruta40 to Mendoza and back into Chile.
    There's so many good riding to do in northern Arg and make sure to go stay at Utopia Overland in Camino a Montenieva, Seclantás it belong to Johann and Martina. bloody cool folke and they make some kick-ass pizzas.
    https://www.facebook.com/utopiaoverlandcamping/

Bloody San Pedro we could only stand for 4 days. The selfie brigade is just too much :D

btw, why can I not find your trip thread on Advrider?
    Ohio_Danimal and 95Monster like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    I’m staying out of town and the selfie brigade, other than for supplies and beer. This Hostal is just tooo good. Has everything I need right here.

You can’t find my report because it’s right under your fucking nose lol

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycl...istmas-in-san-pedro-de-atacama-chile.1296625/
    dano619 and michnus like this.
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    hahaha okay I got it now :freaky
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  15. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Just about the most unbelievable series of photos I've seen on this site. Simply awesome.
    yamalama, michnus, chinditone and 2 others like this.
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention we're turning our place into a B&B for touring motorcycles and should be open this spring so it will be a comfy place to crash when you come looking for those 1000 beers.:lol3

Awesome pics, thanks for that.
    BLucare, michnus and Klinc207 like this.
  17. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You do now..! :hmmmmm
    michnus likes this.
  18. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it! Front page stuff.

Your photo skills are getting better than your off-roading skills, watch out !
    michnus likes this.
  19. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ah thank you! Woah, a while back I sold all my Nikon stuff for Fujifilm, got an XH-1 and don't look back. Glad they came through, send them a message and I'm sure they'd make you an ambassador in a heartbeat, truly great shots with a wonderful story. I was thinking you had a tiny point and shoot, didn't think you were travelling with such kit (the body+lenses combo)
    michnus likes this.
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    With any luck I'll be there around end of July/early August!
    michnus likes this.