Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The boks won the rugby world cup, you can go home no need to be embarrassed about SA...for next 4 years.
    On a lighter note, unbelievable trip you 2 are having.
    michnus likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    michnus and Motopsychoman like this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

brilliant pics....very much alive

thanks for the updates
    michnus likes this.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    hahaha too true :lol3
    Only going home for bbq and beers and hopefully not soon.
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the kind words :thumb
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    Cool, I will seriously make a point not to miss you when we get there, will make contact well in advance :freaky
    skibum69 likes this.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    :lol3 yes you know, you get a whole new set of skills riding a bloody loaded bike.
    95Monster likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    When we started in Africa I had the Nikon P7700 which was a great camera, but it had many limitations and I got seriously frustrated with the limitations. I mean travelling like this you shoot every conceivable type of thing. Sport, portraits, landscapes, nudes...... :D
    Carrying the DSLR was not an option. I am grateful mirrorless have evolved to this, I really enjoy the equipment especially that it fists this kind of traveling so well.
    Also, this is my memories and pension for when old. I want decent photos that will last and are printable even 20 years from now.
    skibum69, Grynch and roadcapDen like this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    Man, it is a blast, just don't try packing in too much, it is a massive place to ride. :D
    Grynch likes this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

North from Caraz along the Callejón de Huaylas, the road winds through Cañón del Pato. The Cordillera Blanca and the Cordillera Negra come to within kissing distance for rock cliffs, separated by only 15m in parts and plummeting to vertigo-inducing depths of up to 1000m. The road snakes along a single track hacked out of the solid rock, passing through 54 tunnels [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Staying over in Caraz a small town on the N3 to meet up with two American car overlanders. We had a few days to chill and check out the town. One thing I really like is wandering the local markets. People making their own stuff, selling, wheeling and dealing. It is as local as you can get and authentic bunch of folk to chat with.

[​IMG]
    Sheepshead baked. That stuff is good eating. The meat is soft and juicy.

[​IMG]
    Lady was selling cheese, I have no idea how it is made but it was good stuff.

[​IMG]
    She makes ropes, all sorts, all sizes, and all size thicknesses. I can't remember the price but it was pennies.

[​IMG]
    Shaved ice in a cup covered in pure honey and other sugar syrup flavors. Was around,20c

[​IMG]
    This dude is the local hat expert, he makes them and does on order hats for people wanting something more elaborate. Nothing bought from China.

[​IMG]
    And this lady does all the pretty-up of the hats. It is heavily labour intensive and that can take her a day to complete.

[​IMG]
    Shopping day while in town. Many of the folk live far out of town and it is a day trip to get into town and back.

[​IMG]
    The farmer brought his pumpkins to market, it is a 10ton truck filled to the top with supersize pumpkins.

[​IMG]
    This event was going to a small hall when we strolled past. The parents invited us to watch and was cool with me taking photos. Eventually, we got blessed by the kids when they threw each other with flour.
    [​IMG]
  12. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As much as I drool over your scenery photos, I also love seeing pics of local life. So much to see in these photos you have just posted.
    torch, Bunyip1260, ScotsFire and 3 others like this.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Same here, I love the scene and riding pics, but the people are super cool too. It is such a mind opener to see how differently other people live from what we are used to and what we think is normal.
    jaakmh, torch, Ohio_Danimal and 4 others like this.
  14. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Where is the "LOVE IT!" button?
    michnus likes this.
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    If you're still talking about Newfoundland here, yes give yourself some time to explore. It is the 16th biggest island in the world, one way across is 900 km's, and there are a lot of roads to ride. Feel free to PM me if you want any help planning etc. I'll be putting up a new post in vendors sometime in the next week with prices etc.
    michnus and BLucare like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I need to get out and ride more to date Ted's site. Just the other day a friend was telling me about a bunch of dirt routes on my peninsula. The main problem is I still have so much work to do around the property it's hard to get away for long when I'm not at work.
    michnus likes this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Ha! Finally half way through this whole RR!
    michnus, Motopsychoman and joenuclear like this.
  18. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    The pics y'all put on pikipiki and chasing beer are fukin groovy:lol3
    michnus likes this.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Me again, finally got through the whole thread. Super photos, I too love the glimpses you give us of the people and the cultures you are wandering through and of curse the scenery. Hopefully one day I'll get back to South America to ride. Thanks for giving us a window on the world.

Reading about the place you stayed in Columbia catering to Overlanders I just wanted to say that I'm trying to build the same kind of fun sanctuary for motorcycles and bicycles with specific amenities for riders. There is a 30'x40' shed in the works that will have lifts and a tire stand. Right now people can do minor maintenance in my shed I have a small lift and tools and the local BMW dealer is my shop sponsor so we have their support as well. We'll arrange oil/filters etc for those who want them. We'll be offering a service for people to ship their bikes to or from etc etc. A new keggerator is coming in the spring to ensure a steady supply of beer.:D

Sorry for the hijack, I'll shut up now.
    michnus likes this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Well, the way you talk, you have convinced us to go. We haven't made fixed plans to ship after South America. Will have to sit and do planning :D

Thanks man! :beer:thumb

Hell yes! There must be more of these oasis around the world for travellers to kick the boots off and share their tips and ideas with fellow overlanders/travellers. Yes it is cool to mix with locals but also just as important to sometimes speak to fellow travellers just to blow off steam with people that does the same as you and share tips and stuff.

Send me links when you got it up and running and want me to share ;)
    WANDRR likes this.