Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being lazy bastards does have its benefits. But lazy demands its piece of flesh in return.

[​IMG]
    Going up the one mountain for an hour or 3

We were looking to skip Lima and wanted to stay inland. But Peru being Peru there are no easy shortcuts. The Andes Mountains make bloody sure of that. So it was either Lima or way back into the Amazon area, both of which would have taken a long time sitting on tar....just, not a freaking option.
    So for a day we sat and worked on a route, contemplating our way.

[​IMG]
    Then go down the other side for an hour or two.

The biggest hurdle, no Starbucks on the route we eventually decided on! Can you believe that shit?

[​IMG]
    The terrain and landscape are intense and a bit overwhelming, the size of it all so close but yet it feels like being in space.

In the end, the route looked dodgy and there were pins on ioverlander.com that mentioned the ONE bridge, a pillar of society, we had to cross was not in good standing. The other small conundrum, the routes we could route with our maps sets were a bit vague and did not work. So we had to route it in sections and the time the GPS showed was a long day in the saddle.

We threw caution to the wind and decided to take a chance and just ask as we go if that ONE bridge we have to cross is passable. That is, of course, if there's a local to be found to ask; if the bridge wasn't passable it meant backtracking and riding another 8-10 hours. Lucky for us it was and the river was not in full rage flood.

[​IMG]
    No barriers, no people, there's nothing around for miles. This is why we keep on asking people riding alone to use SPOT or Garmin or some sort of tracker when shit happens in places like this they will never find you. And there are so many places we ride that is like this, it is easy to just disappear into thin air when you go over a cliff.

The reward of being lazy was that we found a Rainbow gorge, something so spectacular we lost a few hours taking photos and riding slowly to immerse ourselves into the incredible landscape.

It is so nice finding these little gems. We talked about, how strange it was that a place like this was not on the main tourist attractions list of Peru. No tourists, as it is nearly impossible for tourists to venture there.; and now that we have seen the real Rainbow mountain this mountain range was way more epic than the real one. Okay, it's a close tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was an hour or decent into the riverbed to make it through all the switchbacks. Straight down it would not have been more than mile or something.
    Foiler, TwilightZone, Saso and 24 others like this.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The colour of the soil in the mountain ranged from purple, blue'ish to green and a few shades in between. There were lines hundreds of meters thick of these different colours running next to each other.

I am no Geologist but there must have been some kind of medieval sorcery going on here at some same way back when in pre-Dino time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We named the place "Rainbow Gorge"

Eventually later the afternoon we got into the gorge and saw the river below the bridge was not a dilapidated broken structure but a newly constructed steel bridge. It was a relief as there was no way to walk or ride the bikes through the river and backtracking would have been left for the next morning. In our haste to get out of the gorge, we completely forgot to take photos of said bridge. The track took us eventually two days to ride not one. There's not a 50m straight stretch of dirt in the 335km route. The route ain't for people with vertigo that is for sure.
    superfunkomatic, RHC66, NSFW and 32 others like this.
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah will do, ran into a few little things to work out before I put up my vendors thread.
    michnus likes this.
  4. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice update you two!! What breathtaking scenery!! Seeing the bridge in good shape, now thats what I'm talking about!! Thanks!!
    michnus and MrKiwi like this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. Wow. Wow. :eek2
    michnus likes this.
  6. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Breathtaking.
    michnus likes this.
  7. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man what excellent photos! End of this year is my turn! Please post a map of this rout...I must ride that!

Thanks
    michnus, chilolac and MrKiwi like this.
  8. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    michnus likes this.
  9. chinditone

chinditone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wowser - wowser - wowser - evey pic from your last two posts is out of this world and front page material

Being lazy - as it were - gives one time to piki piki, think, ponder and deliver breathtakingly photographs and subject matter - eh!!

Kind of reminds me of what the great golfer Gary Player said about the more he practiced, the better he got!! Would the more you practiced being lazy make your photographs any better? - lol
    michnus likes this.
  10. WANDRR

WANDRR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing scenery.
    michnus likes this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of RTWPaul's photos through there, never any shortage of great roads and great scenery.
  12. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sho! Looks fantastic!
    Dankie julle ;)
    michnus likes this.
  13. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Good shi*. You guys are killing it.
    michnus likes this.
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    It was a bloody relief to see the bridge. If that was gone we would have had to backtrack :doh

Let me know will send you the gpx :D

The Gary Player saying was also one of my dad's favourite quotes :D
    chinditone likes this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Just check those tracks! Those were the next day tracks on our way to Lima to meet some other dodgy overlanders for Pisco's and good food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get going at 6;30am as the sun stuck its head out behind the mountains. it rained heavily the night and we wanted to make sure if there is shit to come we have time to deal with it. Normal dirt roads in Peru can go from nice to monsters in no time. Luckily that did not happen and we had a very scenic ride back to the coast.

[​IMG]
    And another day another time peaking over 4800m altitude.
    bungen, SmilinJoe, Geezerguy and 23 others like this.
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last July I dropped my V-Strom one too many times trying to tippy toe around in a U turn and broke ribs - again! V-Strom gone in 2 days on Craig's List. I still have and will always keep my DR650, lowered with lower seat. It was my wife's bike. Despite lowering I have never hung it up and very rarely bash a rock. BTW I rode it 21,000 miles RTW, Road of Bones et all.
    Dessert Storm, Bt10, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    Going a bit forward we lounged around Lima acting like celebs drinking and eating like there was no tomorrow, we dropped into the touristy city of Cusco. It was time to store the bikes for a quick visit home. When back hit Machu Pichu. Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 13.14.27.png
    SmilinJoe, Smidty, skibum69 and 6 others like this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! You got the t-shirt :thumb

I still stick to my religion, one bike ain't enough. Use the right tool for the job. And for many stuff, the lighter bikes are just better. Yeah, sure with enough violence you can break off your pinky in your own ass. Meaning a big bike can be made to do stuff it was not intended for.

Another observation the last 10 years on the road. The big bikes very rarely if ever go into the more remote places. Yes, sure one or two does but always with some consequences of breakages. They tend to stick to the main roads and good dirt. They miss out on groovy places. it is always the midrange bikes that tell the stories of the out of the way places.

Road of Bones hopefully we can do when in Eu oneday :D
  20. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for update, really appreciated-----you guys still rockin it!!
    michnus likes this.