Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    As the oldest living city in the Americas, at 3400m altitude Cusco has been inhabited continuously for over 3,000 years. It was the historic capital of the Inca Empire from the 13th to 16th century until the Spanish conquest, and now is a major tourist destination- receiving nearly 2 million visitors per year.
    [​IMG]
    Cuzco was founded by Manco Capac around 1200 AD. He established the Kingdom of Cuzco as a city-state that ruled the surrounding lands. In 1438 Pachacuti became the Sapa Inca of the Inca people. It is today a UNESCO heritage place.

Cusco is a place with steep narrow little streets. Many small restaurants, artisans and shops. Strolling around will take a few days if you want to discover all the hidden treasures.
    [​IMG]

The beauty of South America is the hand made stuff. And it is still affordable, but most importantly it is unique and so good to see people take pride in the stuff they do.

[​IMG]
    This lady made the most intricate carved designs on the small dried pumpkins.

[​IMG]
    This lady made me a camera strap which we picked up the next day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This dude was sitting the entire day just painting designs out of his head.

[​IMG]
    This guy made these shoes by hand, every pair is unique.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just chillin on the main square.

[​IMG]

As luck would have it there was another festival playing out while there. I love festivals, especially for photos.
    bungen, Briggski, DYNOBOB and 22 others like this.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much! I am really sorry for the infrequent late updates. It is just sometimes we are so busy I forget about it. ;)
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  3. landyguy

landyguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic you two, always waiting for the next update. Ek geniet al die stories!
    michnus likes this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    Cuzco suddenly erupted in the afternoon. This was a day before we flew back home for a quick two-month break.

What and why there was a festival no one knows. But it was loud, rowdy and full-on fun :D

Just sit back and enjoy the pics. Imagine drum and trumpet bands loud music with the dancing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bungen, SmilinJoe, Geezerguy and 15 others like this.
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    Everyone gets made up and take part in the parade. We heard from a local that the costumes cost quite a bit and they are very proud and is an honour for them to take part in the parades. The joy was visible on the faces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    bungen, Briggski, SmilinJoe and 23 others like this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How could you forget about all of us here waiting for your updates?:lol3
    michnus likes this.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn man :lol3:photog
    Grynch and skibum69 like this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Soooo, I am shamelessly asking for votes. Entered the https://www.overlandexpo.com/bestshot competition for a bit of fun and with luck are one of the final four.
    But if you guys think one of the others deserve it, please vote for them :D

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 14.22.15.png
    SmilinJoe, jachew, Scooter22 and 5 others like this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    Riding through Colca canyon to Arequipa. Famed as one of the world's deepest, is a well-known trekking destination. It's a habitat for the giant Andean condor, on view from overlooks like Cruz del Condor. The canyon landscape comprises a green valley and remote traditional villages with terraced agriculture that predates the Incas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peru is adv riding heaven!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Condor found in the Colca Valley can have a wingspan of up to 3.3 meters (about 10 feet) and weigh up to 15 kilograms (about 33 pounds). Condors live about 60 years on average, but they may live up to 80 years.

[​IMG]
    Riding over 4500m again and not much except cold air in the nostrils burning the lungs. But the solitude and calm is something we will never forget.

[​IMG]
  10. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your photo-journalism is through the roof.
    michnus, forgorin, Essbee and 3 others like this.
  11. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more...Michnus, your eye for photography is just breathtaking. I don't mean just the landscape photos...all of your photos are so well put together. Wow.
    michnus likes this.
  12. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    National Geographic worthy!!
    michnus and MikeyT like this.
  13. jaakmh

jaakmh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once again jaw dropping pics!!
    michnus likes this.
  14. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fantastic, M&E, I have actually found myself gasping at some of your pics.....and to think that in-the-flesh is usually way better! Wow! Thanks for taking the trouble to share, nothing short of awesome!
    michnus and dano619 like this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the kind words guys :raabia:D
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Gotta love the small villages and towns in Peru, and South America for that matter. Many live out a very basic existence but overall they look happy. it is difficult for a westerner to comprehend how such a basic life can be fulfilling. Seeing we hop in a car and drive to a massive supermarket in 10mins and all the techno luxuries. But I think in some ways they do not have the stress and BS we have.
    Their house taxes aren't stratospheric, they do not have an asshole for a boss and they do not give a hoot about Corona, maybe also because they're not inundated with the news.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Feminist? What de hell is that? Here we have pin-up chicks in the shop like in the 70's

[​IMG]
    Recycling is a big, well not massive but they use bottles to pretty up schools, squares and such.

[​IMG]
    We got into Arequipe for another festival and booked an Airbb for the week. Which gave us time to hit the streets for good food and some Pisco afternoons.

[​IMG]
    RHC66, SmilinJoe, bungen and 15 others like this.
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    Let me tell you a bit about Arequipa.

Arequipa is the colonial-era capital of Peru’s Arequipa Region. Framed by 3 volcanoes, it's filled with baroque buildings constructed from sillar, a white volcanic stone. Its historic center is anchored by the Plaza de Armas, a stately main square flanked on its north by the 17th-century neoclassical Basilica Cathedral, which houses a museum displaying religious objects and artwork.

It is an interesting place with small streets and a central market which sells anything and food.

[​IMG]
    Catedral Basilica with Vulcan Misty in the background.

[​IMG]
    A different view with the Andes on the other side.

[​IMG]
    On the left are loads of bars and restaurants to waste time away and watch people go by.
    [​IMG]
    So ready there's going to be a few post on the happenings in Arequipa. The 1st is a bullfight day which turned quite fun. :deal:photog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fruit ladies! They mix and juice any fruit for you in a big glass, two fillings and add a beer if you want. And then get pork on the opposite side and you have a gooood meal :D
    You dont pay a tip, i cut you like this!!! Mu ha ha ha :D
    [​IMG]
    like they say sex sells, and these ladies know how to get the fruits working :D

[​IMG]
    jaakmh, SmilinJoe, bungen and 19 others like this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    We saw a flyer stuck on a lamppost there would be a bullfighting event just outside of the city the weekend.

Well, hot diggity damn that's my kind of fun!

What you need to know about these countries, rules are suggestions. You can drink there, you can take a camera in and actually take photos. Hell, you can try and be a matador yourself, if you get hurt that's your problem.

The party started at 13h00 they said!
    [​IMG]
    We got to the venue and it looked like this. Utterly disappointed we asked around when will this start if at all, the flyer said midday? Any time now the local beer vendor tells us.

[​IMG]
    Luckily la few hours and a load of beers later people started to trickle in. Picnic baskets filled with food and all sorts of moonshine. And the horse ladies was eager to pose for a few photos.

[​IMG]
    Master of ceremonies and trombone player in the mariachi band.

[​IMG]
    People bought us even more beers being the only foreigners there, and baseball caps open caps.
    [​IMG]
    Everything was set to go!
    jaakmh, SmilinJoe, bungen and 9 others like this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    I was in the ring taking photos to the outside of the people sitting around the stadium when they showed the party was going to start. I ask the one guy if my Aussie friend and myself can stay in the ring to get better photos. Yes, sure do whatever de fuck you want. :D

[​IMG]
    The 1st up was the girls dancing with horseriders. They were bloody good!

[​IMG]
    And then the horse ladies showed off their skills. These girls can ride horses better than Posskitt can his 990:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing photos, Michnus. As always.
    gulfcoaster and michnus like this.