1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a face for radio and a bit camera shy :lol3

Cheers :beer:thumb

Well we have time now, seems another 1-2weeks of cabin fever. Can't ride anywhere, Bolivia is now in proper lockdown. Seems the countries is scared seeing what is happening in the USA and Italy.
    But it gives me time to catch up on this thread :D

Thanks man :thumb
    Old Codger, Geezerguy and BLucare like this.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    All the countries in South America closed their borders. And worse some people are getting paranoid about foreigners and the bloody virus. So not good to travel anywhere around here.
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words :D
    Absolutely we would love to get back to the USA, it is one of the plans when South America ends in a year or whatever time.
    Grynch and 95Monster like this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    In the same week, we were in Arequipa the religious festival was also in full swing. The love and devotion of the different religions are borderline insane. I just say that as a measure of their absolute devotion to what people believe in, not derogatory.

It was basically for a week every evening from 5pm to 11pm parade after parade with a meditating chanting and scuffling of feet on a loop circle through midtown.
    When they end in the square there are more prayers and preaching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    I am not a religious expert and my Spanish is rubbish at best so I could not really understand when they told me from what sect they are in the Catholic church.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys carried across for a good 5km around the city. Making turns for each to get a chance to suffer a bit with the wooden cross.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These tables with whatever you call them weighs a ton and the guys take turn to help out. Two meters forward one meter back and so they scuggle along for a few hours to do the loop. In Colombia, at Mompoz they do that for the entire night.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    And so it went on day after day. We pitch up in the square at 2-3pm, at our local restaurant on the 2nd floor of the main side building from where we have a good view of the entire square. We drink Pisco sours and beer till 5pm, as they start run down to walk the entire loop with them. It is fun and serious stuff all into one.

I have to add, although people took it very seriously, they were also in a very jovial happy mood. Food and drinks were offered, bars and restaurants were open and pumping with people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The elderly walked in front with the family helping out. Even if you are not religious this was such a meditating, calm and thoughtful type event/festival whatever you can call it. People are happy and seem social coherence just pulls people together. Make them good neighbors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dude on the far right is the driver of this rig. He must steer and control the speed at which they go.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    Before we hit Cusco for the overrun and trampled Machu Picchu we headed down to the coast to the oasis in the desert and a quick meetup with some overlander friends in Lima and for a bit of desert, coast, and seafood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also, a nice time playing in the sand and desert a bit. Seems anything looking like a track going into the desert is a go. Just pick a line and go as far as you want.
    elron, chinditone, kiwial and 14 others like this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn this lockdown is now going hardcore in Bolivia. Last night we got the confirmation for another 3 weeks. But this time it is even more stringent. So in total will be about 6 weeks if this ends. If still longer the cabin fever is going to set in seriously. Maybe do some homemade moonshine :D
    Geezerguy, roadcapDen, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    Look, some of the bloody tourist hot spots are a must. There is a reason they are touristy in that there is something nice to see. Huacachina oasis was one and on our route. And we arranged to meet up with two German bikers there.
    [​IMG]
    "Huacachina (from Quechua wakachina guard conceal, possibly shortened from wakachina qucha meaning 'hidden lagoon') is a village built around a small oasis and surrounded by sand dunes in southwestern Peru. The oasis was introduced as a feature on the back of the 50 nuevo sol note in 1991. Huacachina has a permanent population of around 100 people, although it hosts many tens of thousands of tourists each year."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From everything, the sunsets are the most impressive thing. And spending time with the our friends Wolfgang and Sabine for good laughs and way too much beer.

[​IMG]
    https://www.facebook.com/ride2kite/
    elron, Saso, thwak and 15 others like this.
  10. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever tried a sunrise? :hide

chilolac and michnus like this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    On our way to Lima, we went through Peninsula de Paracas national park. It is a beautiful desert park with colourful sand cliffs and numerous sea mammals making the coast their home.
    [​IMG]
    The only marine reserve in Peru, it is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a treat to be able to eat scallops fresh from the sea, just add lemon juice, pepper, and some chili salsa.

[​IMG]
    The weathered old seadog was sitting cleaning the scallops with every 10th one going to the seals that's swimming around waiting for their snack. I asked if I can take his photo and eventually he was feeding us more scallops than what he was cleaning :D
    elron, Hans Petter, Saso and 15 others like this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Very difficult, I am not a morning person :lol3

Had to drag myself out of bed to take this one in Lagunas Bolivia and it was faaarking cold! PIKI7572.jpg
    Saso, Robthekiwi, River Rat and 16 others like this.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn.....life seems to be normal and peaceful out there.

thanks as always for taking us along.
    dano619 and michnus like this.
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    Oooh man I cant you tell you how much. I am getting road rage that I can't find a Starbucks :photog
    NSFW, Grynch, Geezerguy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Just follow the big BMW’s. :jack
    michnus and Klinc207 like this.
  16. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    We are in lockdown for 21 days Mich, we can buy supermarket food if needed, but no bars, restaurants, take away's or booze sales. :baldy not even allowed to take the Great Danes for a stroll.
    michnus likes this.
  17. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    "Huacafuckingchina" gave me food poisoning. Not my recommendation.

Keep 'em coming. This country is gold.
    michnus likes this.
  18. chinditone

chinditone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that Peru's "doodsecker"?
    michnus likes this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I also did not eat there. Seems like a hipster Instagram Influencer hell ;)

By looks only :D

Yup I saw that. Man that vile ANC government seems to me wants to go all authoritarian and totalitarian on South Africans. We still have 2/5 weeks left here. But from the looks it seems these lockdowns are going to be longer that what we think.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Few shots from the bustling city of Lima.
    Though its colonial center is preserved, it's a bustling metropolis and one of South America’s largest cities. It's home to the Museo Larco collection of pre-Columbian art and the Museo de la Nación, tracing the history of Peru’s ancient civilizations. The Plaza de Armas and the 16th-century cathedral are the heart of old Lima Centro. Lima is the fifth largest city in South America.

[​IMG]

Lima is the second-largest desert capital city after Cairo in Egypt. The city is located on a desert strip between the Pacific Ocean and Andes Mountains.

[​IMG]

Lima, being a desert city never experiences proper rain. Rather, it experiences some drizzle. The city has no stormwater drainage system.

[​IMG]

Lima was founded by a Spaniard conquistador called Francisco Pizarro on January 18, 1535.

[​IMG]

San Francisco church and its monastery are most famous for their catacombs containing the bones of about 10,000 people interred here when this was Lima’s first cemetery. Below the church is a maze of narrow hallways, each lined on both sides with bones. In one area, a large round hole is filled with bones and skulls arranged in a geometrical pattern, like a piece of art. If Mass is in progress upstairs, the sound reverberates eerily through the catacombs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lima has some very cool new growth spots where the old city has been rejuvenated with art and hip shops. Many bars and restaurants offer some decent food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]