1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    So What's with the Mick Jagger mural? {and of course all your fotos are as amazing as ever}
    michnus likes this.
  2. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to print the same thing.
    Is it doodsecker or doodsacker?

And, what is up with the Jim Morrison mural!?
    michnus likes this.
  3. chinditone

chinditone Long timer

Oddometer:
    poppawheelie and michnus like this.
  4. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    No choice Michnus, the areas such as Hilbrow Alexanra and Khyaleitsha are full of illegals and gangsters who ignore the rules and the police, only by bringing in the army do they stand a chance of observing the shutdown.
    michnus likes this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Elron :thumb

It is an old part of town many young people moved in and rejuvenated the place. This entire building had music icons painted on the outside. Thye love American/British/Western music.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BigDogRaven, forgorin, osmola and 9 others like this.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yup is it DoodsAkker. :)

Are you back home yet?!

I am worried about ZA, with that cunt of a government and is happening I get the feeling things can go seriously bad.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    michnus likes this.
  8. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic trip you are sharing with us. It has taken me a couple weeks to get through it all as all is worth reading word for word. You folks have taken the time to truly understand the countries you are traveling through not the usual highlights only at warp speed.
    I am retiring this year once some properties get sold off and am going to start wondering south from our home in northern Canada, no schedule to meet.
    The Vstrom will make one last trip into the Yukon this year and then goes on the chopping block for either a DR350 or DR650. A little worried about the age of the 350's and yours and Daniels success on the 650's makes me think it may be the best choice.
    I will continue following along with your trip as guidance and love the back country and people you are meeting. The photo's are the best motivator one could ever hope for.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you read RTWPaul's threads about his KTM 500 EXC build for RTW? He went from a DR650 to that. Just another bike option out there.
    forgorin and michnus like this.
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to write a couple of paragraphs on what a nightmare it has been to get out of Mexico and for Mexico in general, but I did not want to shit on your page .

Anyway, yesterday was my B-Day , Edy and I had proper Braai, In your and Elsbie's honor, even though it was just the two of us quarantined up.
    We had Ribeye salmon, asparagus, and roasted tomato, chilis, onion, garlic for a mexican salsa, all of this over mesquite charcoal. A little red wine, and some ice cold Coronas. We were thinking about the two of you.

Cheers, Tim & Edy

P. S. Mich you know what goes good with the Corona virus?
    Lyme desease :photog:D
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the kind words Snobear.:thumb

The 650 is like a Land Cruiser70 series. It is not fast, underpowered, gets no head-turning in the looks department, has sort off okay suspension, is basic AF, can get parts about everywhere, easy to fix, but, it is a good overland vehicle. And that is the key and what we are after. It is light enough to take us into about any challenging terrain. And can do 500-700km per day. Plus if we had to kick them into a ditch and hike back home it is not 20000us we leave behind. Their initial purchase price is also a big factor as it cost half what other newer bikes cost. Including pimping them for a trip. That said once you trip for longer periods at a time there is much more to consider than a shiny pimped bike.

Heavy bikes looks good on Touratech posters but I can tell you from experience they cost a load to maintain once out of represented countries. The guys riding the bikes most often than not, never go to anything more difficult than dirt roads and thus miss out on nice cool stuff on trips like these. And I am not talking enduro stuff. Just nice little tracks that sometimes present themselves.

When you break something or on the bike, your trip is probably over. So going slower is a must. We sit on 80-100km/h on the open road. If shit goes wrong we will most probably be hurt less than when on 140/kmph or so. And it saves on maintenance and fuel cost. So no need for a thing that can haul ass at high speed.
    The 250cc are great bikes and the fuel injection can keep up with our bikes easy. Except, they struggle when in sand loaded and such situations, just not enough torque. And adding 30-40kg of kit does not help.
    The 500EXC is cool but changing oil every 2000km is not for me, fuck that, life is too short for that shit on a long trip. :) Considering a world or multiple country trip a 701, 690, AJP7 can do the same and with a bit of skill will go where most can go with a 500, in these trip situations that is. Overall as these bike as such a vehicle, tick more boxes. On trips like these although you ride nice gnarly stuff sometimes you very rarely ride super enduro stuff for days. C'ause, break something you're going home. There is always a trade-off. Choose your battles for your skills and the trip.

If we have the money and have to change the DR's eventually we will move to the 701,690,AJP type bikes. I am all for go as light as possible. If the 500exc were a better on the oil changes and such stuff I would have gone for it, same as the DRZ400, dope AF, but has limitations.
    We saw quite a few in the last couple of years who ride bikes pimped to look like Lyndon but man, a month into their trips they realized the ego, cost, and reason for their bikes are not the same as Lyndon.
    The DR is for sure not the best in any given thing, but they do the job :)
    Dickyb, george248, forgorin and 20 others like this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn duuude!! Happy birthday! I am so sorry we missed it! Flipped, I can't tell you how many times we talk about the great times we had with you guys braaing with you and Edi. If I can get some beers will for sure drink on you today.. :thumb:beer

You're welcome to post here, it is not like this thread is being overrun by post:lol3
    Grynch and MrKiwi like this.
  13. AV1US

AV1US Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny how we are all sitting down, catching up during this 'down time'... Happy Birthday.

I have a friend that has been all over the Americas and has had 15 different bikes (to include KTMs and the Stroms, etc). He is stuck in Guat right now with his DR650. Im a huge fan of the DR650 and its design. Bruce can't say enough good things about his bike. However, I ride the KLR650; I like all the after market gear I was able to get for it; cheap. The DR and the Z both seem to be catching up in that area. Nothing out there has a 10 gallon tank, is light and powerful (carb mod) and is dumb-dumb simple. I like being a little more shielded from the wind... I have a TEX 12 that I rode out in backcountry AZ for a 'shake down', thinking I would take it everywhere. NOPE! Got stuck. Got clogged with mud and all the anti-WTF messed everything up. Broke everything, everything, and parts are not cheap. Only nice things I have to say are: its fast and I love that shaft drive. Weight is not your friend in the **it, and you need a bit of power sometimes. You don't want to look rich; just begging for PR problems.

Anyway, I think you are headed in the right direction with your selection of a suitable travel bike. Mid range bikes are awesome; 400-800cc... just wish they had a shaft drive.

Attached Files:

michnus likes this.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR 650's for ever!! Yeah!!! :clap :-) :lol2 :photog
    michnus and MrKiwi like this.
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are so right! I am still having problems with my Mexican plated 2002 KTM 640 A.
    When it is working, it is awesome, when it is not, it is a fu#&ing nightmare. I will take reliability, and cheap parts availability any day of the week.

Remember if your battery goes, so does your fuel injection, stick with the DR!

Send some pics of the area where you are holed up.
    Cheers!
    michnus and snobear like this.
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    My favourite bike has never left me stranded despite a few major fails, even when the main bearing failed on the Top of the World Highway last year I was still able to limp into Dawson City and get around a little before I shipped it home again.
    [​IMG]
    michnus, Birdu2, BLucare and 3 others like this.
  17. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You must be over 2 meters tall.
    michnus and ScotsFire like this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Nope, a mere 170 cm's. I can get 2 toes on the ground.:lol3
    michnus, Grynch and DunkingBird like this.
  19. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am so glad you are sharing this with all of us. Beautiful pictures of people and places plus the roads and rides. Wonderful stories you tell about the places you have been and the people you have met. Such a community this "overlander" set. Awesome. Thank you one thousand times over.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Looking forward to more when you get there.
    chilolac, dano619, michnus and 3 others like this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Machu Picchu yes, the tourist trap, is it worth it?
    Well, initially we just did not want to go. Way too much money and from the looks of it, everyone travelling to Peru was in the zombie mode Must-go-to- Machu Picchu.
    [​IMG]
    Every time people asked us if we have been there already or going we said, most probably not. And our dear friends that have been there told us to suck it up and stop bitching and go it is worth seeing it.
    [​IMG]
    But by the time we got back to Peru we had seen so many incredible places in Peru, we doubt Machu Picchu could beat that. And if we do not see it, we won't miss anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end between our friends, Neake N Paul we sucked it up and did it the tourist way. Hit the train with our picnic basket filled with blue boiled eggs, the flask filled with Vodka and Rum and hit the tracks to Aguas Calientes. The town is nestled in the mountains and the only way there is by walking or train. It is a bustling noisy place with party music and small alleyways packed with restaurants. Unfortunately, Michnus did not check the prices for the cocktails he ordered and it nearly cost us a kidney each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Machu Picchu is a massive site and even with all the tourists around you do not feel crowded. It is bloody impressive, to say the least.
    We opted to go the afternoon and with the rain, it helped clear out a few truckloads of tours leaving the place sort of empty.
    Well, is it worth going? Eeerm, yes. But if you can't go, and you saw Huascaran national park and rode some of the crazy passes and backroads in Peru you don't have to worry. There is way more to Peru than Machu Picchu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Again, I got owned!! I never learn my lesson. I walk into a bar, order and go sit..... We drink, we get drunk, we pay the most expensive bar bill ever!:pep:photog
    Ask the fucking prices before ordering! They did not screw us, the place is just that bloody expensive.