1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I think you are safer where you are, because if Ramaphosa doesn't come up with program to feed the masses that live hand to mouth, there isn't going to be a South Africa in three weeks
    forgorin, Smidty and michnus like this.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Working our way to Chile we had a few stops to do. Rainbow mountains, Puno and then hit the coast again and into Chile.

[​IMG]
    Road to the Rainbow mountains. It is at 5000m 16404.ft altitude. Just a nice fun ride without the kit and some groovy views.

[​IMG]
    Poser on a hill :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The story goes like this. Park the bikes at the entrance at 5000m then hike up the 5km to 5500m altitude. Easy peasy? Well, hell no!

As we started on the trail, every shepherd with a horse asks if we want to take the horses up. No, gracias, senor. See, we are overlanders and do not pay for such stuff. We walk, were not snowflakes.
    [​IMG]
    One of the ladies selling food halfway up the trail. They must have lungs like racehorses.

As we hike up we see youngsters going down looking like they just had a good rest. Well, shit, they must be very fit and healthy. We are starting to die! Walk 200m stop to catch the breath repeat. To make matters worse it started to rain and then snow lightly.
    We were used to the altitude by now being in Peru for the better part of 5 months. So it can't be this difficult. But it is, and we really have to focus on breathing deeply.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At last 2,30hrs later we reach the top. Late afternoon and all the hordes are gone, only us and the rain. This was the last 50 meters to the top and Neake just had no more left. She is hight challenged and this hike took a lot out of the poor girl. We kept talking to her to try to go 5meters, rest, repeat...

At that altitude 18,000 ft 5,486 m there is only 10.5 %effective oxygen. We feel it, we are bloody heaving like pigs in heat.

[​IMG]

The view at the top was nothing short of mindbendingly unreal! It was otherwordly, the rain helped to soften the colours and make for a spectacle that was worth the walk.
    [​IMG]
    The contrast in colours was breathtakingly beautiful. How in the name of all that is holy did the geology formed to be this way I still have to research.

[​IMG]
    Just after 5pm it was getting really cold and time to hit the road back down..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Still 2km down to the parking area and the rain and snow gone only the ice left on the opposite mountain.

By the time we walked into the parking lot the locals we worried as all was closed. Why did we not take the horses up as all the other visitors do? You mean all those fresh looking faces from the kids are the ones that took the horses up and just walked down?
    Damn, that's a lesson not to be a cheapskate. So we were the only ones walking up that day? Yes, senor!

We really are morons, but it was a super cool day.. :photog
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    Agreed, from what we hear and read our government are stumbling over the one clusterfuck after the other. In any case, what must we do there? We cant do stuff there as well. They have now killed more people due to the army and police being assholes than has died from the virus!
    Smidty likes this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible pictures! Again!
    :clap
    chilolac and michnus like this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, getting your tail bones to a big city was smart! Good move.
    "Don't be angry at me" - no way! Are you kidding? You've got your own adventure to tend to. I just thought you might find the problems someone else has with trying to exit a South American country interesting, or same, or different from where you're at.
    I'm still lov'n your excellent pictures. :D
    chilolac and michnus like this.
  6. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Just discovered you guys were on the move again, well I say WERE. Anyway, following again.

Hey. I was still signed up to get emails, but haven't been.
    michnus likes this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200405_172612.jpg

Hot Toddy
    michnus, skibum69 and Gedrog like this.
  8. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack the thread
    Couldn't agree more, things on that route can go South very quickly, prep the bike and when you have prepped properly, go over it again and again, I did it with two friends in 1999 a lot of palms was greased and visa's were obtained through dubious means, I only knew about it through a friend of a friend of a friend that took some senior military personnel up there in the 80's, in the end they had to be evacuated with choppers so the story goes, everyone was sworn to secrecy about the incident :rofl, my XT made it through unscathed but I had to tow the two XR's, it quickly escalated into a survival situation, when we finally managed to make it out again we got arrested and accused for spying, all the camera gear confiscated more palms were greased and we were let go, all the camera gear returned but all the film was destroyed, sadly the XT was abandoned somewhere on the road between Ukombahe and Usakos. You know that moment you get off a bike and you go "oooo gatte petata" and you see a snapped conrod through a hole in the crank case, it was a long hot walk to Usakos. I swear if I ever can make it back there I could probably locate my two grashopper backpacks stashed full of gear that I had to abandon, but I was young dumb and full of spunk, I probably should have taken the the offer to travel back with my friends in the back of a truck
    BigDogRaven, michnus and squadraquota like this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    No worries, I am 100% with you. I really appreciate any info send to us. ;)

Yes, we try and keep up with people just to be ahead of what is happening around and when stupid rules and funny shit sticks head out. As for long clips, the drama is a bit much for me and being a gorilla I can't focus on reality TV stuff that long, 3min max:lol3
    klaviator likes this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    We have been on the move the last 6 months, just this bloody virus stopped us cold now. :D

I have to apologize I don't update here often for various reasons. One, is not to be a habitual spammer and look-at-me type and the other just being late with photos I edit and everything else.
    The same with the email subs, I am so scared people will think we just spam them. I don't really know what is the good subs flow, once a month? Every few months?
    Maybe I am just paranoid, but the last few years the look-at-me-and-my-awesome-and-me-and-I people flood the webpipe with their reality TV stuff and that is just us. I like sharing but in the hope, people will be inspired even just for going to their own backcountry.

Thanks for taking time to check-in CloudSpillter :thumb
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Grynch likes this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn dude!! That must have been a superclass adventure! They're still probably there:lol3
  13. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been following since the start and really enjoying it, but I've also done ride reports and know it can be a hassle. I say post when you have something to say, not just for the sake of posting something. ADV will tell me when you post and all will be good.
    michnus likes this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    agreed, don't be afraid to take whatever time you want
    michnus likes this.
  15. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Agree with the above, but...
    Don’t hesitate to post because you’re worried we’ve had too much of you recently though. Your writing and pictures are always about the places and people you see, and never come across as self-aggrandizing.
    michnus, Geezerguy, chilolac and 4 others like this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ what he said......Your report is one of the most laid back and tell it as I see it reports out there!! Please keep it coming!!
    michnus likes this.
  17. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    AH, I had a three week break and just got back to the internets. Nice bit of reading to catch up. To parrot everyone else, great photos! I'll check to see if your machu pichu story is on the front page yet.

My parents are in Cape Town and they are going stir crazy being cooped up in the house. They locked themselves in about 4 weeks ago due to mums poor lungs. Shit is gonna get real there in a week or two when the food and booze starts to run out in the townships...
    eir
    Meanwhile, Japan is business as usual. Just the schools in big cities are closed. My local governor is a compete fucking waste of space.
    michnus likes this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks, much appreciated. It makes sense. Bloody laziness is also a reason.. :lol3

I will keep adding to it as long as we go. One reason is that it has been going since 2009. And this thread is a more detailed report of our trip than even our website or social media. I post more photos and content here than on our own pages. Also important, here I can talk and say what I want, on social media you're supposed to behave and be nice. Here I feel like between friends that understand the context when the odd socially unacceptable comments pop-up. No bullshit, poser stuff.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, ZA is on the wrong side of bonkers. We also had to make sure Elsebie's mom is not going anywhere. And she is an active 82 year old still hitting the road on her own. She is not the type to sit in a house for 5 weeks.

SA'ns will make moonshine by now, there's no way they will take this booze ban lying down :lol3

Japan is one place I need to see before I die! Must be cool to live there ;)
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course you should keep all the good stuff for here!
    michnus likes this.