1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will do that, thanks for the link, I will also save for future use :thumb

Thanks, Strom Thingie :thumb

Man, if I can get them and a beer sponsor things will rock 'n roll!! :lol3
    edge2edge and MrKiwi like this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...when you start thinking of Canada again you can start planning to ride the TCAT-over 20 000 km's of off pavement route across the country! I was the Newfoundland guy putting that project together. From Ted only about 30 people have ridden the whole thing to date. I need to start riding it myself. All of the GPs tracks are free from Ted at graveltravel.ca.
    elron, Klinc207 and michnus like this.
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn, that sounds like fun! We still need to figure out what next after South America. One problem now is our currency to the USDolla got hammered so we can't go to expensive countries. But if Canada is off-season and staying out of tourist places, we would love to ship there 1st when leaving here. Then from there go to Eu and Asia.
    Charmin and roadcapDen like this.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea, the CDN$ is waaay low to the US dollar right now so it should be good for you. Feel free to PM me for more info and I can put you in touch with plenty of folks along the route plus people to tap to about planning.
    michnus likes this.
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much that I will do for sure :D
    edge2edge likes this.
  6. skibum69

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    michnus likes this.
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Well you know you can stay here between Toronto and Niagara Falls, beer, bbq, bed and brai?
    michnus likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million yes!! :thumb:beer
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    The dirt road to the park is good as there are a few mines, but past them, it turns into bloody washboard that shakes the fillings out of the teeth.

[​IMG]
    The volcanoes in the back are at 6000m altitude and in Bolivia.

Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 11.52.33.png

Attached Files:

slime, BigDogRaven, Klinc207 and 13 others like this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 11.51.35.png

On our way there a Chilian police pick-up truck stops us, telling us to be careful of the fesh-fesh, a German rider on a rented BMW got wiped out the day before and after pressing his SPOT it took 16 hrs before they got to him. That is how long it takes for a pick up to drive into that area. He was next to the road all that time.
    I have seen that movie before in South Africa and Namibia. Two weeks holiday, rent a bike, check Touratech for bling, drool over an overloaded bike photo looking cool, ride into place and on terrain not skilled and shit goes horribly wrong. Not that we are any different at some times :lol3

[​IMG]
    K'isi K'isini Quisi Quisini active volcano in the background, bbq's roaming around the dry veld. :)

[​IMG]

The small village of Iglesia de Guallatiri there's a church, a hostel and that's about it. Guallatire volcano overlooking the small village. We took a photo and moved on, no life anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's nothing there, only small grass patches. It is 4200m altitude, the air s dry and cold. Burning the nostrils. But the landscapes are f-incredible! The road is rubbish and we often go off and ride next to it in the veld.

[​IMG]
    My 18-135mm Fuji lens broke a gear and won't zoom, only have the 10-24mm and 35mm prime and thus that lens had to do the job. Dinner flying away every time I crawl closer for a photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's nothing there, which is why we went there. Except for Vicunas, Flamingoes, hot springs and a massive salt flat. The road in the back is going to a green border of Bolivia and the Lagunas area.

[​IMG]

Everywhere on the rim of the salt lake are these scolding hot spots of water bubbling up. It is weird walking there as the soil is mussy and feels like walking on a foam mattress.

[​IMG]
    Late the afternoon we got to our camp spot. The wind has picked up with dust devils playing around on the salt flats.
    slime, BigDogRaven, elron and 17 others like this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Actually what is more interesting is what is on close up on the ground. The views and landscape is mindbending beautiful. Get on the knees and see what is on the ground.

[​IMG]
    Where the crystal clear water bubbles up the minerals in the water form a colorful crust and coral-like structures in the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lonely flamingo chick roaming on its own.
    slime, BigDogRaven, Briggski and 21 others like this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I like the maps you put up so we can see where you're talking about. Thanks for the great pics!
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it is not that i think people are stupid, it is just easier for people to make a connection and orientation of where in the world it is :D
    Yannick, Grynch, elron and 6 others like this.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yar! Great pics again! :super
    michnus likes this.
  15. Got_Carbs?

Got_Carbs? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late to the party, enjoyed your interview on the ARR podcast. Also agree stunning photos (as always). Many of the pictures look like something out of a National Geographic magazine. Absolutely amazing.
    michnus likes this.
  16. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Maybe you missed his official photographer's t-shirt :1drink
    [​IMG]
    slime, elron, Klinc207 and 3 others like this.
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks GotCrabs :thumb

I wish it was NG, but as Chilejack says, I got the next best thing :lol3
    Got_Carbs? likes this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    Our camp spot, a half build wall that acts as shelter. Late the afternoon it go bloody cold and the wind pickedup even the flamingoes had to go lie flat to stop being blown away :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One benefit was the ground was really nice and hot and our tents had the luxury cabana underfloor heating option as a free upgrade.

[​IMG]
    When the earth was still young. It is really feeling like your on another planet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I mean it just does not get better than this. Okay, the water smells a bit from sulfur but nothing whiskey cant take away :D
  19. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    gee the maps showed SA didnt see paradise on there any where.
    michnus likes this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Back to civilization the road still had some surprises and was not going to make it a quick dash to beer.

[​IMG]
    Our Aussie friends had some difficulty with the fesh-fesh, not too long into the morning we were picking up BMW's. Eventually, it was better to ride at the back. Getting pinned we had to turn around chase back to pick up a heavy BMW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elsebie running to see if she can catch the Llama in the road :D

[​IMG]
    Bloody ankle-deep talcum powder with car ruts below you can't see shit. Front-wheel doing whatever the de hell it wants.

[​IMG]

We love dirt roads, but eventually, the road turned into a bloody awful washboard thing. Near un-rideable POS! All it did was hammer the bikes and suspension. Breaking the fucking thing! We had to stop every 50km to let the shocks cool down.
    slime, BigDogRaven, Yannick and 17 others like this.