Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Chilians love Pink Floyd, even on the public buses, the drivers would play Pink Floyd. This artist had a tattoo of them. I asked why entire Chile loves them so much. He just said it is because the music over time became like a culture with them. I can't argue I love their music aswell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the street dogs have a good life :D

[​IMG]
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is groovy Vali for you. Stunning people, stunning art to appreciate, and a place I will never forget. As cities go, this is one that is not to be missed.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    Come January it was Mission End of the World. Except that would change just a little bit. It was time to say good buy to the city living for a while. In any case, we love camping and getting on the road again was like getting back to normal for us.

[​IMG]

Chile offers a load of camping and in the summertime people even open up their gardens for camping for a bit of money. There is an abundance of parks and options to camp riding down to the start of Ruta 7.
    [​IMG]
    Farm camping for a few days. Eventually, it rained so much and with everything wet the owner moved us into his shed.

[​IMG]
    Apparently there's a thing like Glamping, glamorous camping. We are on Shamping which is Shed camping :) At least we could do some work not stuck in a tent with for a few days waiting for the relentless drizzling to stop.

[​IMG]

Time to hit a move. Our time was running out and we had to make a run for Argentina to renew. Luckly there was a border close by and on further research a cool little track through the mountains back into Chile 100miles or so more South.

[​IMG]
    This is volcano alley, apparently, Chile has the most volcanos in the world. I don't moan it is bloody awesome and really cool to see so many with their little white hoodies.

[​IMG]
    The beauty of riding it in the summer is that you can criss-cross back and forth between Chile and Argentina. The borders are quick and easy and there are so many groovy tracks to keep a trip interesting. Surprisingly we did not see so many bike overlanders on this route. Especially since it is a channel with only so many roads running South.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's just enough stuff to keep it interesting. The dirt is fun to ride, enough lakes, old wooden bridges, and beer stops every now and then to get rid of the dust.

[​IMG]
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    NSFW, elron, BCBackRoads and 3 others like this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    And on Roadbook magazine the best Adv moto mag in Italy we had a quick chat about travelling South America for the last couple of months.

NSFW, s_gogos, SmilinJoe and 8 others like this.
  5. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    michnus likes this.
  6. starless72

starless72 starless

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interview, Michnus and Elsebie!
    michnus likes this.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wifie and I enjoyed that interview very much. :clap We"ll be following - whatever you do. As I've said before, your photography skills are excellent.
    Re. lockdown. I'm more glad than ever that I went RTW in 2014 - 2015.
    michnus likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:

Thanks dudes! :beer
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    The one thing about Chile is the options to wild camp. And not just wild camp because you don't want to spend a Dollar. Wild camp because the places to camp are so bloody cool.

Next to lakes, volcanoes or forest where only the birds and bees makes some noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Even sitting on tar in Chile is not a bore, the scenery around is just incredible and enough to keep the happiness going.

[​IMG]
    That is the volcano Osorno it is a 2,652-meter tall conical stratovolcano. It stands on the southeastern shore of Llanquihue Lake, and also towers over Todos los Santos Lake. The water in the lakes is all runoff from the volcano and freaking cold. Yes, we had to swim. It is amazing the volcano is only at 2600m and they say have a snow cap year-round.

[​IMG]
    We just can not get enough of the landscapes. It feels a bit like the riding we did in Oregon and Washington state on those small dirt roads around Mt Rainier and down to Oregon.
  10. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Awesome update, and last place you want to be is in a South African Quarantine facility social media is rife with people complaining over the situation, they are finally re-repatriating people but but it is a joke
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes, agree, it is way better being stuck in Bolivia than trying to go home or being home. No booze, no cigarettes, I don't smoke but it is a bloody stupid rule. And seeing how they treat repatriated citizens I will not take that kindly.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The start of Ruta 7 the official one, in any case. Carretera Austral one of the most beautiful roads in the world. If there is a top ten list of most amazing bike roads this must be in the top 5. Not because it is difficult but because it offers an inclusive biking experience. Everything is just faaarking nice about it. The roads, scenery, places to chill and enjoy beers, places to visit and see. This is a real must-do the road if ever the chance presents itself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The small town of Hornopiren we had to stay 2 days waiting for the ferry. Not that we mind there was a food festival in town. Good food and beer, we stop every time! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bus only made it there. Its mom said he can be anything in life he wants to be. Mom, I want to be a food-bus in Hornopiren on the ocean!

[​IMG]
    Hornopiren is a small fisherman's village but also a conduit for the ferry going South. With time it also turned a bit touristy but still kept much of its small-town authentic local charm. The houses and architecture remind a bit of an Austrian mountain town. The square is where everything happens at night. That weekend was the food festival and lasted the entire weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Live band and the singers did their thing for quite a few hours keeping everyone happy and dancing.

[​IMG]
    I can not get enough of this social lifestyle of the South Americans. They are such a cool bunch of people. Old and young all participate and dance with each other. No problem, no one gets their shit into a twist because some old dude is asking a young girl to dance. People are just happy. Drinking or overindulging a bit too much no-one goes of their rockers.
    It is just good wholesome family and social time for everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is what I came for! Lamb on a spit with a side dish of seafood and beer!
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Perfect, enjoy!
    michnus likes this.
  14. ADK

ADK hoof arted

Oddometer:
    Are ya sure that's not a dog on that spit? :eek7
    michnus likes this.
  15. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michnus

Have you guys stayed on the road for so long that the road is Home or do you have a residence or place that you still consider home?
    I often wonder how long you have to stay on the road for that to really feel like home as opposed to one place being home.
    Probably different for everyone.
    MrKiwi, michnus and dano619 like this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Nope but it tasted like lamb :photog
    klaviator and ADK like this.
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    You are correct, actually home now is a place where we can chill and enjoy the surrounding. Our home is still home but the feeling of having familiar surroundings fades with time. When we stayed in ConCon on the beach for a month and a half it really felt like home. You can do normal stuff, we can get into a routine and the locals start to see us normal. Some homes are a bit more basic than others though, some a bit more shitty, and then there are the good ones we will always remember.
    We believe you have to take off travelling every now and then, rent an AirBB and don't start the bikes for a week or two.

I always got cross in the past when Elsebie said we must sell our house, I said I want a place I call home and can go back to in a heartbeat. That is gone now, any cool place we can kick the boots off for a while is house. Also strange, we don't need much, decent wifi to do our work and stay in contact with friends and family, a proper shower and bed and all are good. Bar close by is a big plus point :D

Sure, I miss a good car now and then, I miss my HP2 and other bikes and our friends and family, and some of the South African stuff. I miss working in the garage. For that, we fly back a few months a year to enjoy :)
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I love ferry rides, well, any boat trip. Maybe just a guy thing. :)

1st one of a couple you do when riding Ruta7. It is not overly expensive and luckily it is a busy route in summertime with travellers.

[​IMG]
    The views are just indescribably beautiful while the ferry traverses the fjords and narrow channels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have never been to fjords in Norway, but the people we met on the ferry told us these ones in Chile are some of the most beautiful if not as stunning as the ones in Norway and Montenegro. The trip did not disappoint, I could not stop taking photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. MrKiwi

MrKiwi old enough that I should know better Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to do a double take with these last lots of photos, that could be in the South Island of New Zealand, it looks so similar.
    ScotsFire and michnus like this.
  20. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was just thinking the same, Fiordland NP

Mike B
    E
    michnus and MrKiwi like this.