Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    being lockdown has good benefits...one is i get to read more RR and next is to start dreaming of the beautiful places you guys traveled. very envious here and can't wait for this pandemic to see in my rearview mirror.

thank you pikipiki for being a great ambassador and promoter of our sport.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Newfoundland has some nice fjords too. The movie Contact with Jodi Foster closes with aerial scenes of the fjords that was shot in Newfoundland.
    michnus and roadcapDen like this.
  3. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1! pikipiki!

Mike B
    NSFW and michnus like this.
  4. landyguy

landyguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Julle twee, sterkte! This continues to be one of the best RR's I have followed. I loved hearing your voices on the vidoes as well. Keep up the great work and thanks again for everything. Now go drink some beer and have some biltong!!!!
    michnus likes this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn now I will have to get to New Zealand :D

Thanks, NSFW, same here, at least I get time to update this RR. Yes this bloody virus needs to f-off now. Had enough of it...

Thanks will look for it on Piratebay ;)

Baie dankie Landyguy. Biltong is uit maar bier hier is goed :beer
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    I can see why so many people say Patagonia is a bit like New Zealand. The landscapes are of lands far away as described in many fairy tale books. Incredible granite snow-capped mountains, turquoise coloured clear rivers with the lush green woodlands. It could even be Canada?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    At some stage, I told Elsebie my heart is begging for this road to Ushuaia not to stop. Every turn and new bend offers a new unforgettable view. This is why I said as a complete package this route must be in the top 10, even top 5 of routes of adventure or road trippen. It is not difficult riding but as a complete package, everything weighed at a 10 score. Scenery, riding, foods, places to stay, weather, fun, etc.

[​IMG]
    Even the few days we had to sit out the rain in a small shack with a wood-burning stove. Whiskey, warm place to sit and talk about the world's problems and new continents that must still be conquered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The riding really feels like being in a movie Lord of the Rings or some hobbit country.
  7. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning!!!!
    klaviator, michnus and s_gogos like this.
  8. s_gogos

s_gogos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh the landscape in Paragonia... It's just incredible!
    It's just kind of difficult riding around on a motorcycle with that weather though (rain).
    But then if it was possible to remove the clouds and the rain you'd destroy the mood.
    So no, I love Patagonia for what it is, the way it is!
    And thumbs up for the photos guys! Great work!
    :beer
    michnus likes this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I love Patagonia, I need to get back down there one of these days.
    michnus likes this.
  10. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Watch out in Patagonia Michnus, some of the locals in the Chubut Valley speak a dialect of Welsh. :photog
    michnus likes this.
  11. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    Lovely photos as ever. And yes, many of these could easily be British Columbia with the rivers, twisty gravel roads and snow capped mountains. And gorgeous fiords, although they're called inlets here. But not many roads so you have to take ferries.
    michnus likes this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    basterds :D
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Happiness is seeing roads on a GPS like that.

[​IMG]
    We got ourselves riding slower, stopping more to take photos. Every turn, every place, and stop is better than the previous one.

[​IMG]
    This was seriously some of the best most chilled-out ridings we have done in a long time. Enough to keep the senses aroused and able to take all the incredible beauty in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We park off at Camping las Torres del Simpson. It is a campsite for overlanders next to a crystal clear river. Sandra and Nacho have made a gem of a campsite. This is exactly what a campsite must be like. Nice soft grass, stunning showers, and a fire pit to share stories at night. Their fire pit is inside the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nacho can hit the strings with the best of them and have a bit of a smokey crack voice country and western style sing. His wife Sandra, the same. It like being at a Frank Sinatra unplugged private party.
    And then they baked fresh bread everyday and thaught us the way of drinking Mate tea.
    All I can say is, no, just fucking no, I can't drink that stuff:photog
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I like the mate:D
    Charmin and michnus like this.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    incredible pictures....you guys are spoiling us. please do...haha
    michnus and MrKiwi like this.
  16. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michnus - This thing called life. You have it figured out!!!

I like all your pictures. However, that one on the bridge just speaks to me. It's like I can feel the boards creaking as I go over the bridge. It's like you can smell the old wood. Excellent job of transporting us to another place!
    klaviator, michnus, chilolac and 3 others like this.
  17. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yet another one of your pics that captures perfectly the joy of riding...thanks!
    RobF650, sonnyboy, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    :photog:thumb

Thanks man! But, even at the young age of 51 it does not feel that way :)

That bridge is exactly as you described, I actually took about 45 min to walk around the bridge just because it is such a cool old one. It had that smoked-up old leather bar in Manhatten type feel.
    klaviator likes this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    We took our time on this part of the trip, we knew the weather can bitch slap us as it went from summer to the start early winter. But, the place was just so magical that we decided we could not in a good conscious rush this. Whatever the weather decides to do we will handle it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Where there's a will there's the way. We stopped for a pee and this Argentian couple stopped for a chat. They traveled a big part of Argentina and Chile two-up on the 660. It is a bit cramped for me, but they had fun, and we're out there doing shit. :D

[​IMG]
    This is what blows your mind in Chile, and on every turn, it blows it, even more. :lol3 Get over a hill or around a bend and a view like this greed you.
    I stopped there to take the photo and only left about an hour later. I could not drag my bones away from that view. The smells and the cold wind blowing the grass and bushes added to the vibe.

Late the afternoon we rolled into the village of Puerto Río Tranquilo. We camped at a hostel but also had a date to meet up with our British travel friends Kelvin and Suzie.
    [​IMG]
    The village is on the shores of General Carrera Lake or "Lake Buenos Aires". The lake shared by Argentina and Chile. Both names are internationally accepted. The lake is of glacial origin and is surrounded by the Andes mountain range. The lake drains to the Pacific Ocean on the west through the Baker River. The water is piss cold and have this turquoise blue waters from the glazier runoffs. It is the biggest lake in Chile and the fourth largest in Argentina.

[​IMG]
    Buy beer inboxes again when parked for more than a few days. :)
    elron, BigDogRaven, Saso and 22 others like this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    The few days we camped Puerto Río Tranquilo we had quite a few things to pack in. The first was a boat trip to the famous Marble caves.
    " One of the most isolated natural treasures of the world, the Marble Caves (Capillas de Mármol) are a series of sculpted caves in the General Carrera Lake in the heart of Patagonia. The Cathedral, the Chapel, and the Cave are the three formations that make up this natural spectacle that will certainly leave you breathless."

[​IMG]
    Our lovely guide for the day.

There really is no easy way to travel there. The only way to reach the Marble Caves is by boat, kayak or ferry. There is no road you can drive on to reach the caves and there is no paved pathway or area for you to stroll inside the caves.

[​IMG]
    "Aggressive waves have washed up against the marble (calcium carbonate) for years, and slowly shaped the curved walls. However, these strong walls of marble cave in Patagonia did not instantly mold into the unique structure you see today. This process has been occurring for over six centuries! Its smooth and vibrant walls are now a reflection of the lake’s azure waters, which often change in color depending on the water levels and time of year."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is possible to see the multi-coloured granite disappear into the crystal clear turquoise waters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Charmin, elron, BigDogRaven and 27 others like this.