Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wowza, just Wowza.......Thanks!!
    michnus likes this.
  2. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate. I still have some in the cupboard, from Chile. After the fist mouthful it tastes better - - - sorta.
    michnus likes this.
  3. Mark64

Mark64 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Michnus, firstly thank you for keeping me entertained during lockdown, I'm lovin your RR, you really are a wordsmith, telling it exactly like it is (typical ZA - I used to work with a guy from Durban - the South African accent is music to my ears.)
    Secondly, you really are a lucky bastard, I hope you realise just how lucky.
    I do have one question for you - how on earth do you finance your travelling for years and years, it can't be cheap to live on the road and pay insurance and all the hidden costs for such massive travel?
    Once again I thank you for the RR, amazing photographs and proper salt of the earth reporting style, stay safe guys.
    michnus likes this.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howzit @Mark64 ? Thanks so much for the kind words.
    Man, it was a mix of a bit of luck and a bit planning. We never wanted children, we had from early on in our marriage decided that, that won't work for us. I am saying that because kids do take a massive amount of time and funds to help to adulthood.
    And, working for the rest of our lives, pay taxes and die also won't work. But we had no plan and we were in our 20's, so we kept working and saving money as much as possible. No holidays, no fancy cars. At some stage about 15 years ago we started buying really shitty apartments in our town. Repair and paid them off as soon as possible. We still did not live a luxury lifestyle.
    As they got paid off the income was enough to start to pay for us. Nothing fancy and to this day we can't stay in 3-4star hotels or own fancy cars or bikes. We keep it simple and basic but at least we can travel.
    At least, also allows us to start new businesses like Turkana, the new luggage brand we started with fellow overlanders and such endeavors.

It was a long time coming and planning. ;)
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    hahaha that's true :D
    poppawheelie likes this.
  6. Mark64

Mark64 n00b

Oddometer:
    Respect to both of you, I've done the landlord thing for a couple of years and was so glad to get out of it, so when people say lucky bastard - luck doesn't come in to it - everything was planned and engineered, you are now reaping the rewards of all your hard work and sacrifice of your younger days, I admire your lifestyle - enjoy it guys and stay safe.
    dano619, Geezerguy, chilolac and 5 others like this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    void of luxury, no income and dwindling saving that sounds familiar. hahaha. hey, we live only once and time is short.

happy to see someone enjoying the adv life.
    Grynch and michnus like this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Touchwood :) , till now like any other investment we learned how to manage it, Elsebie is very good at it and we have a big enough portfolio to have it run okay. If it was just one house or such we would have sold, it does not make sense.
    Thanks Mark, the same to you. ;)

Hahaha man, too old for that shit. If we get to a point of no income and dwindling savings we go home. It is not fun to travel and worry about finances and money all the time. Then we will rather work, and travel as frequently as we can. Now we still work our asses off on the road but we found a good ratio of work and travel and how to deal with it. :)
  9. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We enjoy passive rental income as well. My wife also manages the process...one of the advantages of social media is it's pretty easy to do an in-depth check on a potential renter and she is quite good at her detective work.
    michnus likes this.
  10. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    brilliant words and photos, just brilliant. Thx for sharing.
    michnus and chilolac like this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta admit. Out of the literally one thousand opportunities I had to try mate, I drank it zero times lol. Unless it had weed mixed in there somehow I just wasn’t interested.
    Trust you’re well. Maybe this week sometime we do that ZOOM chat I mentioned. I think so far there are seven riders interested Michnus.
    roadcapDen, michnus and ScotsFire like this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You opening up that zoom chat?
    michnus likes this.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Absolutely we use social often to check on new tenants. The bit of good about social media :D

:thumb

Yes man, if you can hook this off we are in on the chat. :D

Daniel suggested we hold one for the orphans currently in South America :D
  14. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    PikiPiki on dudes!
    Lovin it...
    michnus likes this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    Hiking a glazier. We don't even have proper snow in South Africa in the winter. Going to Antarctica was now out of the question. The money for it was just insane and we don't beg people to fund our travel.
    So being there we could just as well, pay the bit and go see what it is like walking on a glazier.

[​IMG]

Exploradores Glacier allows visitors to have a unique experience and walk through the glacier itself. It is possible to walk across long ice fields, as well as being surrounded by giant ice walls, exploring tunnels and caves that are present throughout the glacier. A great cape of ice that has been part of our landscape for many millennia and that is currently one of the most important attractions of the area.

[​IMG]
    It is an hour's drive to the hut where you get kitted with spikes, gloves, and some other stuff. And then the 6km hike to the glazier over rocks and a stiff hike. The glacier has a total length of 18 kilometers and a width of 3 kilometers, approximately.

[​IMG]
    Our guide for the day. We had two in the group, one front, one back. It is actually pretty dangerous hiking the glacier. The glacier has its own micro-climate hanging over it. There are crevices and caves all other nasty stuff.

[​IMG]
    That is a 2km deep block of ice covered with rocks and gravel that forms part as the glacier moves.

A glacier that still has not receded; although, it is losing its thickness at a quick rate. Scientist drills hole in the ice and measure the loss of thickness just sticking these connected sticks in it. At the current rate, the glacier is losing 8m per season those sections of blue pipe are 1m each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Strangely it is difficult to find facts about the glacier and surroundings. I took my phone with and tracked it on REVER.

[​IMG]
    The melting of the ice and moving of the glacier creates these massive caves and crevices. The black and dark colours of rocks and pebbles heat up the ice with the melting snow draining into big rivers of water disappearing beneath the ice.

[​IMG]
    One thing we never could have imagined is the surface of the ice are razor-sharp and hard. It looks all softy-softy nice snow....hell not! And why we used those rubber worker gloves. And then walking you have to hammer your feet into the ice to get a grip. Which was fun as we could scale steep angles climbing over the ice.

[​IMG]
    The distances are deceptively difficult to gauge. To those people in the front was easy another 2hrs hike and 2km or more. The guides left me alone eventually to take photos as I please. The group had to stay in tight formation if shit happens. But maybe because I am old looking and smiled they reconned they allow me some slack to walk off or hang back to get better photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The sheer size of the place is just mindbendingly unbelievable. The world today seems so small in the bigger scheme of things. Hiking such a body of ice makes me feel insignificant. Check the people in the front right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It feels weird, scary and exhilarating all at one crawling inside the caves formed by the melting water. They disappear into a dark black passage. There are small critters only living on the ice.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 17.37.45.png That yellow line is the only part we saw. There are another 100km2 roughly more ice and glaciers most of the world population will never see.

We don't have kids and does not matter if us two worry about the world for future generations or not. But hiking places like this and seeing how incredible fragile they are. It makes you realise how important it is to do our bit to keep the world in good health for future generations.
    gperkins, KRob1, NSFW and 20 others like this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    :thumb:beer
    roadcapDen likes this.
  17. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Wow, just wow!!!
    michnus likes this.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Walking on a glacier is crunchy, eh? Did you see any ice worms?
    michnus likes this.
  19. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    Looks like they guided you around not being roped up. Did they at least carry crevasse rescue gear?
    michnus likes this.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    one would hope in ever changing conditions
    michnus likes this.