Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, yes it is getting tiring now. If we could go out to a restaurant or just ride around a bit it would be okay. But none of that. Working is also getting boring now..:baldy:lol3
    Eventually yes :photog
    Thanks so much, Daniel, and that I had the honour of your 1st comment on Advrider :thumb
    skibum69 and MrKiwi like this.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The infamous winds and board that has been posted so many times. Well it had to be done as its not a common road sign.

[​IMG]

The famous Ruta40 on the wall of a Hotel de Campo "La Leona"

[​IMG]
    This is a 16mm lens I used to get one shot of the glacier.

We hit the road out to this incredible picture of a glacier to be at the gates when it opened. We were not sure if the place would be packed or empty or what would await us. I was sure as hell not interested in fighting people just to take a photo. It was freezing cold riding out the park. As luck would have it were at the gate 1st. We waited a few minutes for the office to open and hit the road to the car park.

To our surprise, there was a super nice walkway and levels for people to view the glacier at different angles. But believe me, this thing is fuuucking big!

The terminus of the Perito Moreno Glacier is 5 km (3.1 mi) wide, with an average height of 74 m (240 ft) above the surface of the water of Argentino Lake, in Argentina. It has a total ice depth of 170 metres (558 ft). 250 km2 (97 sq mi) ice formation, 30 km (19 mi) in length, is one of 48 glaciers fed by the Southern Patagonian Ice Field located in the Andes system shared with Chile. This ice field is the world's third-largest reserve of freshwater.
    The glacier was named after the explorer Francisco Moreno, a pioneer who studied the region in the 19th century and played a major role in defending the territory of Argentina in the conflict surrounding the international border dispute with Chile.

[​IMG]

"Among the Earth's most dynamic and accessible ice fields, Glaciar Perito Moreno is the stunning centerpiece of the southern sector of Parque Nacional Los Glaciares. Locally referred to as Glaciar Moreno, it measures 30km long, 5km wide and 60m high, but what makes it exceptional in the world of ice is its constant advance – up to 2m per day, causing building-sized icebergs to calve from its face.

In some ways, watching the glacier is a very sedentary park experience, but it manages to nonetheless be thrilling.

Glaciar Perito Moreno is as much an auditory as a visual experience when huge icebergs calve and collapse into the Canal de los Témpanos (Iceberg Channel). This natural-born tourist attraction at Península de Magallanes is close enough to guarantee great views, but far enough away to be safe.

[​IMG]

A series of steel catwalks (almost 4000m total) and vantage points allow visitors to see, hear and photograph the glacier. Sun hits its face in the morning and the glacier’s appearance changes as the day progresses and shadows shift. A closed refugio with glass walls allows for glacier viewing in bad weather.

Some 18 times since 1917, as the glacier has advanced, it has dammed the Brazo Rico (Rico Arm) of Lago Argentino, causing the water to rise. Several times the melting ice below has been unable to support the weight of the water behind it and the dam has collapsed in an explosion of water and ice. To be present when this spectacular cataclysm occurs is unforgettable."
    Lonelyplanet describes Perito Moreno better than I can. :D

[​IMG]
    And then it happened!

Calving - There's a lot of luck involved waiting to see building size ancient ice break off a glacier.
    If you do not see it happen, the sound reaches your ears by the time the calving has already taken place. We spend the entire morning taking photos. During this time small pieces of ice broke off, nothing to oooh and aaaah about. And nothing big, it is always small chunks.

A friend was observing and quick to say he thinks there is a bigger blue gap forming in the ice. I quickly set the camera to burst mode and dialed in the settings what I thought would capture such a moment. All of a sudden we could see the blue crack grew wider. I kept looking through the eyepiece of the camera, the next moment the ice crack, I hit the shutter and kept it in, I thought to myself please for the love of any god please keep going, dont let the battery fail me now or the SD card can't handle the formating. Click, click, click, click.............72 photo burst later is what you see in this clip. We were incredibly lucky to experience such an event.

[​IMG]
    One hellova incredible day I will not forget in my life.
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Again, just WOW! Beautiful!
    michnus likes this.
  4. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    holy :topes
    michnus likes this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always miss when the icebergs around here roll or break apart. Same kind of thing long after they've calved off the original glaciers in Greenland usually 2 or 3 years before they get to us. Still pretty to look at.
    [​IMG]
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. As many pictures as I've seen and taken of the Perito Moreno Glacier, I've never seen it all in one span like your first picture. Terrific, magnifico!
    michnus likes this.
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack Michnus, but I couldn't help but think of you guys when I was looking at a new possible bid for us (I do work sometimes), PORT REX power plant in East London, your old home turf? The 6 gas turbines need new exhaust stacks, not my normal stuff but I am obliged to give other departments a heads up to see if there is interest. :photog
    michnus and MikeyT like this.
  8. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    I love the wind sign. Looks like a warning for fast moving palm trees.
    michnus likes this.
  9. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lekker Michnus & Elsebie
    michnus likes this.
  10. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stunning pics as always
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:

Damn dude that's bloody impressive and I really hope to oneday see some of those! :super

It took a few tries and a 16mm lens :)

Flipped Welsh, I did not even know there was such stuff in EL :photog EL is still a good place to live for now....

Yeah it is funny, there's not a palm in a thousand miles from there. And some other cool tree artwork more local they could you. Or they pulling a joke on people :)

My laarnie :thumb

:beer
    elron likes this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Bloody stunning place and sad to have left but it was time to hit Torres.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Torres del Paine blew my mind! We thought to stay one day and hit it to Peurto Natalis to meet the Aussies. That plan fucked off out the window when we got near to the South gate. The wind was blowing the snot from our faces and the small wooden guard entrance gate was closed. We stook outside waiting about 10mins.
    I asked the guard, any warm beer dude, it's piss cold? He laughed, I laughed Elsebie made a fake grin while he opened the hut and we could get it. We joked a bit more and after completing the necessary paperwork he said, you are welcome to enter.
    But we have to pay? No, he said, it is on me you guys go enjoy the park. Farking A man!! In that case, can we stay for two nights? Sure, he said.

Well, it ain't cheap to enter and even more to camp in the park. His generosity sure was a welcome easing on the beer fund.

[​IMG]

" Soaring almost vertically above the Patagonian steppe, the granite pillars of Torres del Paine (Towers of Paine) dominate the landscape of South America's finest national park. Part of Unesco's Biosphere Reserve system since 1978, this 1810-sq-km park is, however, much more than its one greatest hit. Its diversity of landscapes ranging from teal and azure lakes to emerald forests, roaring rivers and that one big, radiant blue glacier. Guanacos roam the vast open steppe, while Andean condors soar alongside looming peaks."
    Again LonelyPlanet says it best :D

[​IMG]

Now, I am not going to bore you will all the photos. I took a thousand and everyone is different due to clouds, colours and every other conceivable influence making every photo different.

[​IMG]

We set up camp at Camping Lago Pehoe, a nice small campsite with sheltered places for the tents. It allows us to sit at the lake for a few hours taking long exposure photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our local pet came to say hi, and stayed. The parents were close by all the time to check up on the juvenile delinquent.

It is a pity we did not have proper hiking stuff and you have to take enough food if you want to go hiking. But I guess it will leave us something to go back to, which we will for sure do.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh go ahead. Publish more of the pictures. :-)
    michnus, klaviator and MrKiwi like this.
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come early to see icebergs, May. Your invitation is open until you get here.
    michnus likes this.
  16. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Damn Michnus, another fantastic group of photos. If you are holding back the “good” ones, I can’t imagine how they could be any better. :thumb
    michnus and klaviator like this.
  17. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Your photos never bore.
    michnus and klaviator like this.
  18. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    This stuff deserves to be published in a book...and the cover shot should be that one of Elsebie giving a look at the GPS and a big smile! Excellent work, sir!
    michnus, klaviator and BarryB like this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Will do sir :thumb

Thanks a million, if at all we can make a plan I am sure as hell take you up on it :beer

Thanks for the kind words Geezerguy:thumb:super

Thanks Scotsfire :D

Thanks for that tip and will for sure do it the way you describe. I have been thinking of a coffee table picture type with descriptions. Not a proper write my ass off-book, I am too stupid for that. Just something that is easy to enjoy and prickle the travel bike senses.:kumbaya
    Geezerguy, Bunyip1260 and chilejack like this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    We were up early the next day, coffee, some stale bread while watching the sunrise over the majestic mountains.

[​IMG]
    I took some stuff to eat and drink and hit the roads around the park. Lady luck was on our side and it turned out to be a spectacular nice weather day.
    [​IMG]
    "Torres del Paine National Park is a national park encompassing ancient forests, glaciers, lakes, rivers and fjords.
    Torres del Paine National Park was founded in 1959 and is located in the southernmost and largest region of Chile called Magallanes and Chilean Antarctica.
    Torres del Paine National Park covers approximately 242,242 hectares (598,593 acres). It is one of the largest and most visited parks in Chile.
    The main attractions are Cordillera del Paine, Los Cuernos, French Valley and Grey Glacier.
    Cordillera del Paine is a small but spectacular set of mountains. Referred to as the Torres del Paine (Towers of Paine), the three massive summits are gigantic granite monoliths that are UNESCO-declared biosphere reserves. The highest summit of the range is Cerro Paine Grande, at 2,884 meters (9,461 feet)."

[​IMG]
    The one reason we have to go back is to go hike around the place a bit more. Even if just do walking trips daily. There's so much to see and experience when you just walk into the veld. There's no people around, just sound of the wind and wildlife.
    Black-necked swans spotted at Laguna Amarga and Lake Pehoé throughout the summer, before they migrate further north.

[​IMG]
    16 photo stitch and I go and fuckup the top right :baldy:lol3

[​IMG]
    "The peak of Cerro Paine Grande has been climbed four times: 1957, 2000, 2011 and 2016. All ascents were carried out by accessing the upper glacial plateau from the west." I sat waiting for a good 4 hrs for the clouds to bugger off to get a half-decent open shot of the peak.

[​IMG]
    We got back at the camp late afternoon. The wind was picking up and it was bloody cold! But there was no way we could not go take photos of the sunset.

Every minute that goes by the colours and scenery changed.

[​IMG]

With this 30sec exposure, I had to hang on the tripod, the wind was brutal.

[​IMG]
    It is a very harsh place for any living thing. Even the trees get their fair share of bitch slaps to bend them into the shape the wind wants them.

[​IMG]
    The sun kissed the day goodbye. It was another goooood day!

For us this was to be one of the epic highlights of a trip that started in Texas, USA. We could not have asked for a better 'ending' at the bottom of the Americas, after about a 70'000km, nearly 4 year, trip. The weather played with and the memories and views of Torres were burned into the gray matter.