Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Loving the scenery, guys :thumb

Question for you and Elsebie: Considering you've been on the road for quite awhile now, I assume you have your gear slimmed down to what you deem essential for life on the road. Do you know how much your gear weighs for each of you, all packed and ready to go on the bike?

It looks like you both pack pretty light, and you do spend a lot of time off-road. I'm always curious to hear from experienced travelers. Cheers :ricky
    michnus and chilejack like this.
  2. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wowzer photos again! Fantastique!
    As for guanacos and bbq, in Mexico they're known as guan-nachos . . . Never mind, bad joke, but my Mexican friend liked it.
    michnus likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    The small wine town of Cafayate. We planned for a quick 3 days stay and ended nearly 2 weeks there. Staying in groovy small hostel walking distance from the main plaza, we loitered around the place every evening chatting up the locals.

[​IMG]
    The shops are still old school stuff. Some are proper merchant shops and will even sell you a well-worn prostitute or dead policeman. They stock everything. Old men hang around discussing local news.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The small town is nestled in the mountains in a valley that is perfect for growing wine.
    klaviator, NSFW, twqqis and 17 others like this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing day trips out of the town there are so many places to go see and explore. And then sit in the afternoons sipping beer and wine.

[​IMG]
    klaviator, NSFW, Foiler and 30 others like this.
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Magic stuff as always, thanks
    michnus and poppawheelie like this.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    Flipped sorry, okay, need to stop writing other stuff for Advrider and get cracking with this. :cob:photog
    skibum69, elron, MrKiwi and 7 others like this.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    How plans change! We make a rough plan and route and most that plan then gets changed again as we go. We meet people, get tips on places to see on the route and all sorts of distractions. But for now, it was north to get to Bolivia. Well as you will later see that plan also did not make it quite as planned.

[​IMG]
    Eye candy is what northern Argentina is like for landscapes. It is a never-ending ride of beautiful views with multi-coloured layer soil. The place is hot and the small villages are a nice oasis to slug down a beer before heading off again.

[​IMG]
    Ruta40, it is not a technical road but man it is a stunning bloody piece of earth that burns into the brain!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We were on our way to Overland oasis, a small overland campsite[​IMG] .
    This is proper big sky country...
    The place belongs to Johann and Martina, a South African and German overland couple that made this area their home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is trying riding from all the landscape viewing... need a beer stop... :photog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheep dishes and this little bugger knew there would be a bone for him...
    SmilinJoe, klaviator, NSFW and 30 others like this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Apologies for the late reply! :)

It took some time and depending on the region and bike. But we are now on about 32-37kg everything including on each bike. That is riding clothing, helmets the lot, just not our naked selves :D
    We could go a bit lighter but that means electronics, cold weather stuff and such must go, and much of what I carry is bike spares and such stuff. For example, the shock kits, if we had better options, would not be necessary. We carry about 15kg of cold weather camping and clothes, which we never had in Africa, and will dump the moment we get to a new continent where it is not needed.

In Bolivia a few months ago we rode a 1000km offroad in the Lagunas, had to carry our own fuel and water as it was not the normal route most take. Twice we had to drag the bikes through mud rivers at 4000m altitude. If we had 250kg BMW's and packed another 45+kg which it seems what most do, we would've had serious troubles. Or just left the bikes in the mud and kept Walking..
    Not just that, weight also is a bad thing for the longevity of the bike. Another area a few weeks ago we rode just over a 1000km, 200km daily and it took us 9-11hrs a day, just stopping for a drink and quick photos. The road is in such bad condition that you can't go fast, it is standing riding all the time, washboards, fesh fesh and everything else. Those type of roads is incredibly hard on a bike. The weight helps fuck-all in those type of riding.

But in all, we are bloody allergic to weight, and does not matter what people say weight is a ball and chain! We are always on the lookout for smaller, lighter, more compact stuff and try new things to limit and pack more clever.
    SmilinJoe, klaviator, Foiler and 19 others like this.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Michnus and Elsebie !
    Cracking pictures of fantastic landscapes :wings

It seems I've got back into biking way too late. (That is: after my body was already partly buggered)
    Keep going, at least I can enjoy the pictures.

Cheers, Ard
    guglemonster and michnus like this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    Howzit Ard?

Man, I think most of us will get there in the end. But to give you some home. We one day in ZA met an 82year old couple in the Western cape at some small hell hole of a town. Dust all over and one fuel station. They rode two 400cc Suzuki Scooters. Those touring ones. Cooler box between the legs and everything else packed in the boot of the scooter and a small bag on the back seat.
    They were hammering dirt roads with those scooters and had knobby type tyres and was already on a 8000km round trip of ZA. But the moral of the story is they both had legs issues and the scooters was a comfy way for them to tour each on their own bike. We love 4x4ing as it was also something we did for many years. But I think eventually if the legs go we will also move to car and scooters, even if slower and not as rough anymore...:beer
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back! I've been waiting for your pictures! :happay
    Yes, Those Suzuki Burgman 400's are amazing. I rode one from the northeast to Florida in the dead of winter. The Bergman generates more wattage than the DR for electric gear, and can push 75 ~ 80 mph all day without a whimper.
    Like you I go for the lighter weight bikes. I laugh at the statement, "Yeah, but as soon as you're moving the weight disappears." Ha! What about when you're not moving! :flip
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    And has your ever Svelte profile changed? :photog
  13. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Michnus, where are you presently? Hopefully you are both staying safe and healthy.
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Doing okay matey, Stil chipping away on the house and its surroundings. We did get a company to pave the new driveway though as that's a smart choice we decided :jkam

Not been on the bikes other than 3 days this year due to aforementioned chipping and due to this ugly C thing.
    We'll get there one way or another or have different adventures. We rarely plan and mostly don't stick to them anyway so Tessa and I will be fine.
    Get your arses to Krautland mate. We'll have plenty of space for you ! :beer
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you posting on this thread again! :clap
    MikeyT and roadcapDen like this.
  16. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pleased to again have you back for a needed read.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  17. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Fantastic answer :thumb Cheers, mate!

Merry Christmas to you both!

:beer
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry merry to all of you out there. Nice to see you chime in Michnus, I've enjoyed your articles on ADV, keep up the good work.
  19. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas and be safe wherever you are this season.
  20. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Merry Xmas the pair of you. :D