Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ho! Ho! Ho! Make merry! Start off a great new year! :clap :clap :happay :drink :feelgood

None of this. :muutt
  2. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pikes Peak II
  3. Mcahron

Mcahron Love is "THE" Answer. Foolish bags of mostly water

Oddometer:
    Happy holidays
  4. twqqis

twqqis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers to you Michnus & Elsabe! Thanks for keeping up the continuous reports, photos and story telling. With a tough year behind us, and setbacks to which I don't see the light yet, these posts have been my go to for pick-me-ups and inspiration.
    It is much appreciated.

Groete van SA
    skibum69 and BarryB like this.
  5. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok, I am extremely late on the this thread for some unknown reason and yet I'm only on page 58 today after just starting reading it the other day. I want to go to Mexico big time now. Awesome pictures and stories!. Wish I could have met you two in 2015 in the East Bay, CA. Cheers mate!
  6. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR and a very Happy New Year to you both!!!
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year, Folks!
  9. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    @poppawheelie @Welshman @Motopsychoman @skibum69 @BLucare @elron @Geezerguy @Mcahron @twqqis @third eye @yakmike

People I am so, so, so sorry, shit this is embarrassing!!!

We stayed in Villa Abecia a small village in the South of Bolivia for half of Dec and most of January. The wifi was really shit and we got to check the important stuff but somehow I did not get any notification of comments on the thread.

We are now in Tarija on a mission with local biker enduro riders that are helping us to try and get a year-long permit for us to store the bikes in Bolivia.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and new year and more importantly the best for 21! This is year is hopefully going to be a better time than last year.
    elron, george248, Grynch and 16 others like this.
  10. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    No worries. Great to hear you are doing well.
    michnus likes this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck getting sorted. Let us know how it goes. Hoping for better in 2021!
    michnus likes this.
  12. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I heard you guys on the late-December episode of Adventure Rider Radio, so I at least knew you were alive anyway :lol3

No worries at all, dude. Good luck with the mission. :thumb
    michnus likes this.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yeah, think all of us can do is just kick as hard as possible to making 21 a bloody better year :D

hahaha, I struggle to get use to that type of chats:lol3
    skibum69 likes this.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries at no response for awhile. Good luck with the bike storage thing. Don't know about a better 2021 in the states. Lots and lots of vicious descent here.
    :pain :turkish Not your worry. Take care yo-self.
    michnus likes this.
  15. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checkin in!!
    michnus likes this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    :thumb:beer Yeah some days it looks like 21 will be a better year and then, booom! Some new strain and more lockdowns. Maybe we can fly to the USA and score some shots somehow:lol3

Cheers Dano:thumb
    531blackbanshee and roadcapDen like this.
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Northern Argentina on Ruta40. It is a place with bloody good weather and wine. Views over the Andes and small beautiful towns.

[​IMG]
    Just outside the village of Seclantas right on Ruta 40 is the farm of Martina and Johan. Both long term overlanders and DR riders. She is German and Johan is a South African. They liked the place so much when travelling there they bought the piece of land with buggar-all on it. Their vision was to live there but also make it an overlander retreat.

There was nothing there, they had to get pipes for water and use solar power. The house and the kitchen which is outside they build themselves with the help of a few Work-aways. There are cold beer and Johan can hit some of the best pizzas we have had in a long time. Also in an oven, they made themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The view back to the Andes late afternoon is mild meltingly beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When you eat shitty street food and cookies for many days a pizza like this is a very welcoming sight.

[​IMG]
    Bread and coffee for mornings. We set up camp, kicked the boots and stayed for about a week.

[​IMG]
    Outside showers in the bush and long drop toilets with a view into thick shrubs where the birds sing while you enjoy your daily thinking time :)

[​IMG]
    Martina making us our South Africa favorite, it is fried dough bread. It is similar to the Caribbean Johnnycake, the Dutch Oliebol, and the Mexican Sopaipillas. The word vetkoek literally means "fat cake" in Afrikaans. Add meat or jam and cheese, let it melt whatever the liking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fucking shock we got repaired in Chile did not last 10 000km and gave up on Ruta40. They are such basic shocks but still, experts can't fix them properly. I think with this one we have paid the price for one with the services during the last 5 years using them. Luckily Johan had his exact spec and model shock from his DR with him and I bought it off from him. He will take our broken one back to ZA when he can.

Mental note! If you do loads of offroad, your shocks will go at some stage. Always carry spare parts and service when possible. In our case, I could have just tried doing it myself as the experts did a really shit job in Chile.
  18. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, a pizza oven. It's on the list of things to make Michnus and Elsebie :beer

Oh and it won't be a Dutch oven :rofl
    michnus and benedikt.m like this.
  19. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer:
    Just awseome!

All too familiar to us! :) Bolivian altiplano and then R40 washboards are very efficient shock destroyers. We also kept rebuilding our Öhlins to no avail. My recommendation: bin that Öhlins emulsion shock and get a proper gas/oil separated also called "piggiback" HYPERPRO (or if not available for your model then a similar that has a thick rod and robust body with a separate gas canister) - you'll have a much more reliable solution to take those long-term beatings under heavy load. Single-body emulsion shock, especially if it's race-oriented ultralight Öhlins is not the best for that kind of use, ours split in half in the end.

Ride safe,
    Margus
  20. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting.i'm pretty sure it's the fault of this thread that i now get Biltong advertisement's on my phone:imaposer:jack:rofl
    the stuff looks delicious tho :dukegirl
    safe travels,
    keep us posted.

leon
    michnus likes this.