Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    What sort of spares would you recommend? seals jump to mind

Old chap told me once to get the shock with the reservoir best for heat dissipation especially with using the bike off-road shock works twice as hard and generates more heat kills the oil's viscosity and weird shit starts happening and seals and other wear items get destroyed so more regular services are required
    This vid re-affirmed what I have heard and believe

chilejack and michnus like this.
  2. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting video. I wonder if, when stuck with a given shock, using a more viscous oil might help. Of course it would change the ride characteristics, but that might be OK, and since it would tend to reduce shock travel, it might reduce heat production slightly. At any rate, it might still have the viscosity you want, at a higher temperature.

Seems worthwhile to look very carefully at the oil being used, anyway, starting from the manufacturer's recommendations.

Think I'll start trying, even harder, to stop and take a picture, or something, more often.
    michnus likes this.
  3. Oldmanx

Oldmanx Aimless wanderer

Oddometer:
    Or forcing a heavier weight oil thru the same size orifices may well create more heat, and its related consequences.
    michnus likes this.
  4. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    You would be better off with a suspension oil that has a higher VI (Viscosity Index) it remains stable over a wider range of temperature but regardless of how good the suspension oil is they all eventually succumb to thermal breakdown
    brake your brain here https://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm
    michnus likes this.
  5. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Or you end up feeling like riding a jackhammer made that mistake
    michnus and Oldmanx like this.
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you gotta have a Dutch oven! The problem with me and our own pizza oven is the size of my belly after a few months :photog

Hahahaha that is in one way good, but if you can't get the Biltong then the adverts are bloody useless :lol3
    That you will like Biltong I am sure :thumb
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yes and some of the roads you did in Africa, are absolute shock killers. These shocks are Cogent shocks. It is a local USA firm but they use Ohlin springs. It is actually pretty good shocks and the oil and gas are separated. You even get an overland kit with it to take with you. We had good service from them, and although pretty standard and easy shocks I think the biggest issue are the people in Colombia, Ecuador, and Chile that worked on them just did a really shit job.
    But we ride so much offroad I try and get them serviced more often but that is the other problem that the people working on them tells you they are competent..... and then they're not:lol3

Suzie and Kelvin our Pommie friends fitted brand new Wilburs emulsion shocks and they did not last 5000km in Colombia. The worst was Wilburs did not want to know anything about helping, warranty, or anything else.

The Ohlins in our Dakar's that's now still in Germany also gave shit halfway through Africa. So we learn :)
    kiwial and tsiklonaut like this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    The Cogent shocks are pretty good and did well. They are not emulsions, which is good and they are relatively easy to fix. Except for the people that were supposed to be experts did a shit job. Cogent even gave us Overlander service kits which are really good of them. I used about 5 or 6 of those kits the last 5 years to service them.
    When we bought the shocks we contemplated getting the one with the canister but was 1000us at the time vs the 640us for non-cansiter one. In hindsight, though the canister ones would have been better. But I thought since there are shock dealers in South America I could rather service them more regularly.

We do so much offroad the canister ones would have been better, without a doubt, but 2000us at the time was eye-watering stuff for us :)
    Gedrog likes this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    Can as emergency use hydraulic oil or such. I actually did that in Ethiopia when my front forks went tits up. Could not find any shock oil and bought a hydraulic oil from a Komatsu earthmover shop in Addis. That stuff lasted till Holland, but it was a shitty ride offroad to say the least. It did the job though. :)
    ScotsFire likes this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Elsebie is sure looking intensely at the vino being poured...!

As always thanks for your Great RR Michnus!!!
    michnus likes this.
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the memories - scenery along Ruta 40.
    Farm of Matina and Johan - looks like PARADISE! :kumbaya :jkam

Rear shock - I highly recommend Cogent Dynamics. I see that's what you've got. They rebuild and greatly modify the stock shock. Better than Ohlins in most opinions. After 35k miles, including RTW, didn't feel like it needed it, but I sent it in for rebuild #2.
    michnus likes this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also decided to go with the Mojave rather than the Mojave Pro shock from Cogent. It also was a money decision at the time.
    Happily, 30,000 miles since the last rebuild, including all of Ruta 40 etc and still no leaks or problems. mill have it rebuilt by Cogent before I start traveling again (assuming I can)
    poppawheelie and michnus like this.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Leaving Johan and Martina we headed north towards Chile to hit San pedro de Atacama and then into Lagunas area Bolivia. That was the plan anyway.

[​IMG]

Ruta 40 extended apparently over the highest motorable pass in South America. I am sure rode some higher, but what de hell let me not buggar-up a good story.

[​IMG]

The terrain is incredible, it is bitterly cold as we climbed up to Abra del Acay. Al the time climbing from about 1000m altitude to the near 4950m. The road was in relatively good condition as it was winter, but they told us in summer with the rains it is a nightmare road.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 19.05.17.png

[​IMG]

The wind was pumping gale force, snot blew out the noses! We struggled to get off the bikes but eventually were able to get a shot. No peeing, would end badly :photog

[​IMG]

Kilometer 4603 from total length 5194 for the entire stretch of Ruta 40 and the highest point.

[​IMG]
    The road towards the border to Chile. It was a long-run dirt road, washboard road that rattles fillings out of the teeth. We stopped every 50-70km to let the shocks cool down. It was one of the worst washboard roads we had ridden in a long time. My hands go numb and at some stage, it was so bad the eyeballs vibrated in the sockets so much you can barely see.

But it is so bloody cool to ride there. Not a soul in man, many miles around, this is why we love these places where there are no people.

[​IMG]
    The official border between Chile and Argentina. It is also at some 4200m altitude. The Chilian and Argentine customs in one building. We were the only people they said for the last 5 days, so they all jumped up, and stamped us through in 10min flat. This is also why we love the small out of the way borders, easy to do, friendlier people, and nicer roads :D

The wind was howling, pumping so much I had to stay outside to hold the bikes so they don't get blown over.
    There ain't dust left anymore. The ground is hard as it is the crust and bigger dirt left. But when you walk on it, break the crust and the dust blows out.
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    Both are Cogent! All 85000km of them :D
    Our 1st shit was in Colombia already, but seriously I won't bitch that hard, we ride so much offroad I can't expect them to last more than normal. And many of the roads were so shit and washboard it is a wonder they last as long as they did to the 1st time they blew oil. In Africa already we learned to let the shocks cool and have been doing it ever since.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    We had to rebuild ours now I think 5 times already. But I will give it to Cogent, the people that did it for us in the countries could have done a better job. Just one of the shocks had a nick on the shaft which I was only able to replace 10000km later when I got one shipped to us. I showed it to Cogent as they thought it was due to our damage but it was seriously just one of those bad-luck shafts that were not hard chromed properly.

Shit happens, and Cogent always looked after us with spares and such. Not sponsored, they just step up when it was needed :)
    klaviator, roadcapDen, Bt10 and 5 others like this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have any protection for the shock? A sock or anything in front to protect it from thrown shit?
    michnus likes this.
  17. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be joining a group of riders on a tour of Colombia and Equador sometime in the next year or so. Can't wait, your travels are so inspirational! Cheers and beers
    michnus likes this.
  18. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad Ass you 2 are posting again....Thank You!!
    michnus likes this.
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a sock around mine. I think it was meant for an ATV shock wrap. Plus Suzuki put a shield/ flap in front of it.
    michnus likes this.
  20. BIG OIL

BIG OIL Loooozer

Oddometer:
    How could a nice German lady get connected with South African rift raft? :hide:D
    michnus likes this.