Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Well, Tessa's hobby is cooking and baking so my sharp edges are getting harder to notice. I just need to work harder :kbasa2
    michnus likes this.
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Reading the rest of the posts it is good to have quality after-sales support not the first I have heard where Wilburs leaves the customer in the lurch, I think I paid €1220 for my custom 250mm travel rear TFX Shock for F650 Dakar with RR and PA, if I bought it without any of the other gadgets it would have been € 509 with RR €759 with OEM spec RR and PA €1,098.00 on current prices. but still, a bitter pill to swallow.
    Ohlins is a brilliant shock with an Achilles heel, read more of the Saga here on Short Way Around I did correct mine before selling it by fitting a proper spherical bearing because after reading the saga the confidence was just not there.

I will ask TFX if they do an overlander service kit for theirs so I can help myself at least, got stuck once in Tsumeb with a blown rear shock, three weeks to get parts in Windhoek so we stuffed the shock full of rubber and copious amounts of packing tape headed for Cape Town needless to say bike and rider was worse for wear by the time I got home

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    All because this component kept failing
    [​IMG]
    michnus and Dutchgit like this.
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was it the right spring for the added load?
    michnus and huguesfrederic like this.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    She and wine are hip sisters. Always close :photog
    Geezerguy and roadcapDen like this.
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    @poppawheelie

Nope, I did have a very thin sleeve a while back around them, but it was a schlep to get it off and on, and then it got burned by the exhaust. Cogent told me in very strong words not to use a sock as it will make the shock overheat. Which I know as we stop often on rough roads to let them cool down in any case.
    There is a rear hugger that stops dirt and stuff from the rear wheel which works pretty good but it seems the biggest issue is just that the amount. of dirt roads and conditions are more than normal and then the service guys are not, 100% doing what they are supposed to do.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    Man, you gonna luuuuve it! Please let me know when and I will send some suggestions to see :D
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    :lol3:thumb:beer

Any time, we make friends of all sorts. :freaky:photog:thumb
    BIG OIL likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what spring Cogent fitted, we gave them our weights and stuff and they specked the spring rate. It is hard as we carry weight. The bikes are really shitty when we do offroad without luggage.

How are things going on your side? I see Edi is enjoying Mex:thumb
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    Bliksem! Yes Ohlins are good but I think for real ruff stuff they can't hold up. TFX I asked to make us shocks for the DR's back in 2015 but he never came through. Now it seems they are more sorted with manufacturing and their shocks are holding up well with friends I know using them. Cogent is also cool, but they are a smaller outfit and don't make for all bikes.

I really like supporting the smaller outfits. they bloody care, and you can talk to them and they will stand by their stuff. I am sure TFX can also give an Overland kit like Cogent does here. I never paid for it, they just send it with the shocks.

In our 10 years now, the biggest expense was shocks and the items that will probably cost them most to fix from anything that can and will wrong on a bike. I will skimp on anything but shocks come 1st when preparing a bike. :)
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    They gave me the same advice about using a sock. So, I used a heated screwdriver tip to melt two slots in that “hugger” you describe and then zip-tied a rubber mud flap to it that hangs down in front of the swing arm, completely protecting the shock from anything thrown by the rear tire. My shock is always pretty clean upon inspection. Even in heavy mud. Just an idea, but one I’m sure that helped longevity.
    Stay safe out there my friend
    elron, michnus and dano619 like this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yup, I did the same! :thumb
    elron and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  12. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sock I used had vent holes in it, so as the shock pumped up and down it worked as a bellows to move air. I think I took it off, since I don't ride much mud around here. It's too cold to go out and look. :vardy
    michnus likes this.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Had the same it worked okay I think. But eventually and over time I just ditched them :D
    poppawheelie likes this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came back to Commiefornia to pay taxes... I will be going back by end of Feb.

Ate shit at Hollister Hills on the Beta last Tuesday. International MXGP was held there back in 89".
    20210129_085446.jpg

Attached Files:

michnus and benedikt.m like this.
  15. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ouch
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    4500m altitude Volcano Láscar in the Los Flamencos national park. The wind blows out all possibility to hear into white noise. There's nothing else around, only a few Vicunas. Utterly beautiful, crisp clear air. Our idea was to camp there but it was near impossible, the wind was just not playing ball.
    We moved on to San Pedro de Atacama.

[​IMG]
    We have ridden over this line on earth so many times now on bikes. And every time it feels like something important. But it is not, it is just another fun thing to do. :lol3

[​IMG]
    The photo taken at 4500m altitude and the volcano reached well close to 5500m.

[​IMG]

San Pedro de Atacama. A small little quaint village in the desert. Brutally hot during the day and cold at night. It is a beautiful little place with nice bars and shops and views over to the volcanos.
    Except it is a hipster Instagram influencer turned into hell! The hipster I can still stomach, the Insta influencers on the other hand.... Fuck!:baldy:lol3

[​IMG]

But luckily we ride bikes and don't give a fuck about the BS. There's beer to drink and places to see. Like the sunsets over the desert and volcanos. It is mind-melting stuff!

[​IMG]
    Personally from all the deserts, we have been to thus far, the Namibian desert is the most beautiful. The Atacama is a close second for us, it is an incredible piece of earth. We booked a week just outside San Pedro on a small farm to chill and dig the feet into the desert sand. Long shutter exposure with the clouds racing over the landscape.

[​IMG]

The sunsets are the stuff of dreams and inspirational posters. :photog:D
    Every evening we take a bottle of wine or some whiskey, climb up a dune to watch the sunset over the desert and ancient volcanos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red-pink desert sunsets give a bit of a Jurassic era thing. Can just imagine yourself few million years ago what it must have been like.

[​IMG]
    Our local companion went every evening with us to enjoy the sunsets. What a life for a dog:super
    [​IMG]
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    They say it is a dad bod, apparently, it is very sexy these days :photog
    Dutchgit and forgorin like this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    Goddamn, man! That looks like a proper yard-sale of a fall :photog

Beer and tequila I hear speeds up the recovery process quite quick :deal
  19. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great desert scenery! Definitely where a dog can be free and you don't have to bend down and pick up his warm turd with plastic gloves on.
    michnus and steved57 like this.
  20. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Such incredibly enriching images and words! Thanks yet again, M&E!!!
    michnus and BarryB like this.