Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those sunset pics...damn. Have run out of adjectives in praise..so short comment as I browsw them again.... Shit!, Nice work man!
    michnus likes this.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    As dog life goes this is at the top of the food chain :super

:thumb:beer
    Dutchgit likes this.
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    No worries, I run out of ways to describe stuff:photog
    elron likes this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    We wanted to go to Bolivia from San Pedro and enter the Lagunas route as it was the closest entry point. The thing was it was starting to get into winter and at 4500m it is bloody cold to camp. The morning we were supposed to ride into Bolivia we decided to hit Argentina again, go to Uruguya, Brazil, Paraguya and then more towards summer go into Boliva.
    The added bonus was we could rondevoux with out long time travel friends Suzie and Kelvin in Buenos Aires before they end their trip and shipping back to the UK.

[​IMG]
    Volcano Juriques, it is a beautiful view on our way to the Argentine border.
    [​IMG]
    Closr to the spectacular Salar de Tara, and the arid high altitude Puña, exposed by the sun and low air temperatures, this place is exposed to constent wind erosion and sandblasting. The wind lifts the sand up to a certain height which depends on the size and weight of the particles and on the strength of the wind leave a crust behind. But the sandblasting helps sculps these statues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everytime riding over the Andes reaching the 4500-4900m altitude the scenery just blows us away. It is such freeky Mars type stuff but with animals and massive size cacti. But nothing else much. The roads are also the stuff of orgams. Mountain passes that will make the Gods of biking happy. Add some music and it drops an endrorpin bomb in the brain. Faaaarking cool stuff!

[​IMG]
    Just look at that road!! Even on a slow DR it is a blast to haul ass down from there.

[​IMG]
    The Salinas Grandes close to Salta, 3450m altitude. It covers an area of 212 km², it is big but we were not allowed to go on it alone. These sink holes are more accidict and quite dangerous when you fall into it.
    NSFW, BillUA, DavidM1 and 36 others like this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    More pictures to likie-a-lot. :D
    michnus and Franque like this.
  6. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    you find all the good roads, amazing
    michnus likes this.
  7. Essbee

Essbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No wonder South Americans are so dramatic.....it comes from the the landscape!

"endorphin bomb on the brain".....now that's appropriate!!!
    NSFW, elron and michnus like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just about to read your article in the magazine Michnus. Tomorrow.
    michnus likes this.
  9. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again so much for the continued adventures, stories and pictures!! I checked the first page, first post was June 2011 so almost 10 years for you guys. Seems like I was just reading about your adventures up through Africa. Wow. I was born in Eritrea, lived there for 7 years so appreciated your comments on those parts of Africa.

I remember your ''Angola, not like they said'' thread from years ago. That was a crazy trip!!

Keep it up you two, stay safe and keep on enjoying your trip!
    michnus likes this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    The mag actually came out quite nice. I saw it now in the flesh for the 1st time. Advrider did a hellova job :)

Thanks Crash! We started this trip in end 2010 already, I just started the thread a bit later though. We would've loved to visit Eritrea as our friend Nardus also went there in the late '80s on bike. But we were stopped when in Ethiopia when 2 German tourists got killed there. The borders shut and even the Danakil depression was offlimitits.

The Angola trip was the craziest trip we never planned to had :photog
    roadcapDen likes this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    This is one of the grooviest, bizarre and colourful areas in all of South America. It is a small patch in the North of Argentina. It is not just one rainbow mountain or one-part of the earth with weird geo formation. It is an entire valley shaped and formed with incredible colourful landscapes. We wanted to only stay a few days and move on but in the end, rode around there for near two weeks.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 14.43.42.png
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    We made Purmamarca our base for a few days. Taking outrides and spending time late in the afternoon before sunset sippings beers in the small town square.

[​IMG]

The Rainbow Mountain in Peru had nothing on this spectacle. And this is not just one mountain, this is an entire valley, for the lack of a better word.

[​IMG]
    There's a myriad of small dirt roads and tracks to ride and explore the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was just after 7am we took an outride around Purmamarca, Northern Argentina. It was already getting hot. On our way through the outskirts of the village, we crawl past a few houses not kick-up dust and limit noise. This lady was enjoying the morning sitting outside her home when we rode past.
    It was such a calm relaxed scene I got off the bike and asked if she minds if I take a photo of her. A passerby translated, he said, she is happy if only I can take one with her dog also in the photo.
    She was born in the town and is the only one left of her family to still stay there. The kids all moved to nearby Salta for work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Evenings we are in town to eat at the local small restaurants. The town comes to live just after sunset, bars and eateries open and people come out to open shops again.

[​IMG]
    Dogs roam the street for food. People look well after the street dogs. Some dogs just freeload as they are well-fed home dogs that just go and roam to get more food :D
    River Rat, NSFW, Foiler and 22 others like this.
  13. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep em comin......Thank You!!
    michnus likes this.
  14. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! More beer, and more dogs!

:beer
    michnus likes this.
  15. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics.
    Keep them coming and travel safe
    michnus likes this.
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected as you had 2 articles in there. I agree they did a nice job with the magazine, I was amused how many of the article authors were people I know. I's even call one or two of them friends. :lol3

I know there's talk of a second one.
    michnus likes this.
  17. DavidM1

DavidM1 Stir crazy

Oddometer:
    Two weeks! - I'm very envious. That region is quite high on my to-do list because of all the pre-Inca sites in that valley.

[​IMG]
    turismoruta40.com.ar

Edit:
    I'm a fan of the lines. I saw Capricorn in South Africa once, and the Arctic in Norway.
    I notice the Ruta 23 sign is about 1.2km too far south. It should be at 23°26′11.6″ south. The line moves north at about 15 metres a year but the the signs never seem to catch up. You can possibly date the signs by their positions, although this one is new judging by Google street view.
    michnus likes this.
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you visiting Johan at Utopia again Michnus?
    Great pictures man.
    michnus likes this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Well, in the second article Hank did all the work :D I did a series of 5 or so interviews with MotoPhotoAdv guys and girl and they printed Hank's story, which was quite cool :)

Yes, we had a super nice time staying with them :D
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/mich...round-the-world.696647/page-124#post-41743285
    skibum69 likes this.
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh. Missed that!
    And I was excited to see your two DRs and tent parked exactly where I set up.
    Loved that camp. Stay safe M&E
    michnus likes this.