Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have more than 4 followers on social media and can do a ducklip pic you're in :photog
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I have is a shop sponsor. I do what I can to send him business but when we open our b&B we'll be partnered with him for more business.

Wow! LA? You're not worried about being in a hotbed of covid?

edit: I quite enjoyed that interview. It reminded me of many moons ago when I was racing snowboards looking for sponsorship in my dream of getting to the Olympics. It was a tough slog where I had almost no success except from the shop I worked for. I decided then that sponsorship was nothing I was ever going to bother with again. That being said having my shop sponsor is very valuable for taking care of my bikes and supplies I need but it's pretty loose and low key. Your interview did get me thinking about how I can try to do a little more for him. We're planning a trip down the Trans Taiga in September, I'm sure I can add a little exposure for him on that one.
    gulfcoaster and michnus like this.
  3. michnus

Oddometer:
    Strangely the little bit we have been going around the area we stay the people and businesses are good about wearing masks, social distancing and all that. Okay, we also do stay with our friends more than going around as we have work to finish for Turkana. We went for a free test which was also done with strict rules, even though it was a drive-through. It seems people here take it really seriously. I see Texas is going full monty now, opening up on everything. :D

I am a big supporter and lover of small businesses and do what I can to help any friends or people I know that has small and their own businesses. Even if it is just doing a review or a listing for them on Google. I recon every little bit helps. :thumb
    klaviator, skibum69 and Geezerguy like this.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    While chillin relaxing watching the sun revolve around the earth leaving behind a wine-drinking late afternoon sunset, Elsebie accidentally Googled an event that would happen in Salta a week later. It was the annual festival, round 3000 gauchos (skilled brave horseman) gathered in Salta to celebrate General Guemes. It was going to be a spectacle of a party. :photog

[​IMG]
    Riding places where there is nothing around is such a soul-soothing thing. I always wonder what it looked like 400-500 years ago when things were still wild and wild game roamed around.
    BBQ meat roaming in their thousands :photog
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The dirt roads are just soooo much fun. The scenery and landscapes make it an unforgettable trip. This is part reason why it is so difficult to say goodbye to South America one day.
    [​IMG]
    The area is like a big Disney park for grownups and overland travellers.

[​IMG]
    Just before sunset this view from our room sipping beers. With the local yard dogs checking us out, keeping us company. :photog

[​IMG]
    Fucking gangster animals these, they will knife you! :lol3

[​IMG]
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm lost. I forget where you are/were when these pics were taken. Argentina?
    michnus likes this.
  6. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Them Gangsta Animals are always smiling, you know they know. watch out now :photog
    michnus likes this.
  7. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I was mesmerized by the different colour mountains when I was in that area in 2010.
    Pity I didn't have time to even stop for a coffee !
    Very much hoping I'll revisit one day.
    michnus likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yes Argentina, unfortunately :lol3

They will knife you! :photog
    drunk-will-kill-you-the-first-chance-it-gets-eats-grass-ls-even-tempered-travels-in-herds.jpg
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    You have to revisit man! There are 4x4 campers available if biking is not possible :)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  10. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to get out of my country for any other reason than work first man :lol3

(It's not too bad here but I'm not taking the mickey as there is a chance of a fine or such I believe)
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

Oddometer:
    I geddit :photog
    Dutchgit likes this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Time to hit the road to Salta. It is the N9 and the old portion is pretty bloody nice. A small single lane road pass straight up in the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Luckily the road is not in use for large vehicles anymore, giving us the opportunity to fully explore the racing limits of the DR's. These machines will eat R1 and BMW HP4's for breakfast in these challenging twist and turns. The DR power is almost too much to handle for even experienced riders:photog:super

[​IMG]
    Sorry, the torque of the DR pulled the focus out of the camera on this shot...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually, we rolled into the town of Salta. Founded in 1582, it’s known for its Spanish colonial architecture and Andean heritage. The main plaza is an elegant, cafe-lined square bordered by the neoclassical Salta Cathedral and El Cabildo, an 18th-century town hall turned historical museum. Salta is also home to groovy.

[​IMG]
    Salta is famous for its folklórica (folk music), which is far more national in scope than tango. A peña is a bar or social club where people eat, drink and gather to play, listen traditionally in the form of an impromptu jam session. The artist is bloody good and get people to a frenzy in no time.
  13. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    That road looks like it was a hoot to rail on the DR’s.
    michnus likes this.
  14. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What an absolutely fantastic ride report and photography! I found this thread from your Angola adventure back in 2007. I love your writing style and views on the world and life. I especially love the photos of and stories about the people you encounter. We may be "free" here in America but a lot of people do a pretty good job of building a prison for themselves here too. I spent a lot of time in poor places when I was in the military. I visited south America several times. Went to Peru and Ecuador about ten years ago. A poor place but with exceptionally friendly people who seemed very happy. That's where it really hit me. I suspect that on average, they lead happier and more meaningful lives than Americans do. On average. 23 or so years ago, I was stationed in New Jersey and met a bunch of the refugees that they transported there from war torn Kosovo. They were eager to get back and rebuild their lives. That's an area I'd like to get to and explore more of as well. I'd like to sell everything and carry everything I own on my motorcycle. It's a DR650 as well, BTW. For now though, my daughter needs her dad around.

What tires do you have on those DRs? Looks like MotoZ Tractionator GPS tires. Hard to tell though. The DR650 is a fantastic machine. I have managed to burn up a clutch in mine but other than that, I can't kill this thing. It just keeps on going. I'd like to get a Yamaha Super Tenere for long trips where I need to cover a lot of distance. But I think my DR would be the bike of choice for a central/south America trip.

If you're ever in Oklahoma City, hit me up! We have a guest bedroom and all the beer and booze! Most people don't come to Oklahoma for a destination. They're usually just passing through. OKC is a great city though and worth checking out for a day or two.

Keep up the great reporting and photos! There's a lot of us out here in COVID land following along, watching and dreaming of the day when we can make a similar journey even if it's just a few months, days, whatever.
  15. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir, the DR is a great all round machine. Besides its off road and load carrying capabilities, it's very well balanced - a hoot to ride on tight twisty turny asphalt. I rode mine RTW.
    michnus likes this.
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've spent a weekend on a DR and it was fun but I love my 640 Adventure!
    michnus and poppawheelie like this.
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's a higher performance machine. At my age and decreasing . . . person performance shall we say, the DR is enough for me. :D
    michnus and skibum69 like this.
  18. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is. I was out of riding for about ten years but I used to ride street bikes and dirt bikes. I knew I wanted to get back into riding with an ADV bike. I saw the Long Way Round and started saving up to buy a new Beemer like some sort of cuck. Then I started watching and reading more on here. I followed RTW Paul on his adventures and then the Ohio Danimal. Both on DR650s. I was convinced then and after buying a brand new DR650 and doubling the price of it with mods, it's still less than half of what a new 1250 GSA would have cost me. It's the perfect bike for the type of riding I like to do.
    michnus, elron, poppawheelie and 2 others like this.
  19. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have any more room in the garage for another bike, but if I did, DR for sure. My brother had one ten years ago, it was fun in the desert!
    michnus likes this.
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Do you take so many shots of Elsebie from far away because you get tired of her helmet staring back at you?