Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 2009 my wife bought a DR 650 and I bought a BMW 650 - for twice the price. I rode the BMW PA to Prudhoe Bay and back and got rid of it as soon as I returned. We still have the DR. That's what I rode RTW.
    Cal, michnus and elron like this.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The DR is a good bit lighter I'm assuming ?
    I got a BMW G650 Xchallenge, it weighs a bit but it's there with racks, extra fuel tank, tools, bashplate and a spare tube. about 180 kgs
    flying.moto, michnus and poppawheelie like this.
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I weighed my DR earlier this week. With Pelican trunk bag and Wolfman tank bag filled with stuff (20 lbs.?), windshield, fender bag, Tusk pannier rack (20 lbs.) and 2gal. of gas it was 388 lbs. It has a 5gal. IMS tank and the titanium GSxr muffler, which drops it by about 20 lbs. over OEM. So just slightly less than your XChallenge at about 176 kgs.
    michnus, Dutchgit and poppawheelie like this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My actual weight with IMS tank, Gixxer titanium muffler, windshield, GIVI luggage racks and some gas is 380. Close.
    michnus and chilejack like this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Xchallenge weighs a good deal less than the model I had. Since Walter Colebatch chose that as a base for his adventure bike, it must be good. Let me see if I can find my DR650 vs BMW comparo.
    michnus, Dutchgit and elron like this.
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here it is. MY COMPARO:

G650GS vs DR650 Comparo
    The two year comparo is done. In 2009 the wife and I bought these two bikes new. I have ridden both for a total of about 29,000 miles.
    ==================================================
    The ride:
    The BMW feels planted, sure footed, regardless of the surface it’s on.
    The DR is an athlete, light and quick to respond. It wants to go faster, faster.

Reliability: Both are legendary.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Points in favor of the DR:
    Ignition switch easy to reach. Turn signal switch is smooth and easy to operate. The BMW switch is stiff and has an uncertain feel. The gas cap lock on the BMW broke. In short, all of the controls on the Suzuki are easier to use and are of better quality.

DR is 75 pounds lighter.

DR cost exactly 1/2 as much!

Maintenance is easier on the DR, with a sight glass to check the oil. Changing the oil and filter is simple, unlike the BMW which requires the removal of numerous bolts, facades, and covers. Battery in the DR is sealed. BMW uses an old fashioned wet acid/ plate.

Ergonomics and windshield: I constantly struggled with the BMW in search of comfort, changing the seat, adding bar risers, trying multiple windshields. A number of specialty aftermarket windshields are available for the BMW at $300 ~ $400. None of them work to my expectations. Any one of a number of less than $100 windshields simply bolt to the Suzuki and work fine. A left over $60 Slipstreamer is on there now. The ergo’s required no change, but the seat did.

Those bird beak fenders on BMW’s make no sense to me. A sub fender is then required, to clog with mud. WTF! Adds weight too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What the BMW does have that the DR does not:
    Fuel injection.
    More than enough wattage to power heated clothing, aux lights, etc.
    ================================================== ==============
    What I figured out: A lot of little things like stiff switches and overly complicated maintenance kept bugging me about the BMW. Bottom line is, I prefer Japanese engineering. Took me two years to figure that out. It's a matter of preference more than anything
    michnus, forgorin, thwak and 2 others like this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the DR's speed and agility, it was a blast :D

It is no power machine but it sure does a decent job :thumb

The 640 is a bloody awesome machine. I am looking to get one in South Africa if I can find a low milage well looked after one. Like the Hp2 we wont find them again. Most bikes now will be couches :D
    skibum69 likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    The DR is a very cool machine, but sometimes I need the power of a bigger machine and sometimes the behemoth size of our 1200GS. But in all, having more than one bike is ideal. :)

:photog
    KC10Chief likes this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    I agree with this, the Dakar's had the same engines and the same feelings for us. The maintenance was just bonkers eventually. And they were much more porky than the DR's. The DR I carry a 3kg tool kit, the BMW had a near 10kg toolkit. Not to mention the time it take to strip a Dakar vs taking the DR apart.
    The XChallenge is a cool machine, Metaljockey had one and it did a hellova job. Just a pity BMW never evolved it, that bike could have been a 701 competitor today.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Maybe a 790 kit from Procycle for the DR
    michnus likes this.
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might find a solid 640 at home. Yeah I love the HP2 too but rare as hens teeth these days if you can afford the sticker shock!

Just a little something to whet your whistle:lol3
    [​IMG]
  12. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    A little more miscellaneous weight info from last week's bike weighing spree.
    My 2012 R1200GS with BMW trunk box, tankbag and 4 gal fuel: 567 lbs. (take off 15lbs off for bags and 24 lbs for fuel = 527 lbs)
    My 2018 Husky FX350 with full lighting kit, tail bag, bar bag and 1.5 gal gas: 247 lbs. ( take off 15/lbs for lights and bags, and 9 for gas= 223 lbs.)
    This is pretty close to what BMW and Husky claim.
    For contrast, my 1972 Rickman Zundapp 125 MX weighs 186 lbs without fuel! :lol3
    These were weighed one axle at a time on a digital bathroom scale, which seems pretty close.
    michnus likes this.
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The 701's gearing is the same as the KTM 690 ( I think i read somewhere) and it's not as good as the X's and in fact, there have been reports of people very much regretting their X for the lure of a new 701 or other bike.

I know we're not selling ours ! They not the nicest thing to work on but in reality, we never have to ! :clap:photog

[​IMG]
    NSFW, flying.moto and michnus like this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    This machine belonged to MZCountryBoy and he let me use it for a long weekend. Ergos were nice but to me it just felt gutless compared to my 640. I really did not like how the power came on when riding this on the road. Not as bad offroad but I didn't get to spend much time on the dirt.
    [​IMG]
    michnus, Dutchgit and poppawheelie like this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    It sounds silly but I always feel like a kid having a birthday when I get t-shirts and caps! With the being a site sponsor at the time I could not get a tshirt. @Rudy said he will keep it for me till we can get it mailed to where ever is good. Busy shooting product videos in LA with my partner in crime and moto tour operator guru Piet @doubleoseven for our new soft luggage brand Turkana when they delivered our new pimp kit.

Rudy was so kind to send a shirt and caps for Piet aswell! Thanks so much man you guys rock!! :super:thumb:beer IMG_0975.JPG
  16. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter

Oddometer:
    #models looking great!!
    michnus and doubleoseven like this.
  17. doubleoseven

doubleoseven Renedian Adventures

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy - thank you for my new favorite t-shirt!
    Also, you will note that that my old Renedian Adventures cap is in dire need of replacement :beer

Hope you guys are not too badly affected with the whole pandemic 'business' - we are roaring and ready to get cracking on tour once the travel restrictions are lifted!

Thanks again for the kind gesture

Piet
    PXL_20210317_190125043.jpg
    Rudy and michnus like this.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    We have faces for radio, not this video antics. We approached Brat Pitt and offered him beers for payment but the bastard did not even reply. :photog
    Foiler, klaviator, skibum69 and 6 others like this.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'd do it for a shirt ! :ricky (and a beer ! :beer )
    michnus and Rudy like this.
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I only rock brands I support or believe in. You need a new hat Piet seeing as you can't even read Renedian Adventures on your old one. I'm sure you'll pick better thread colours on your new ones.

You have some good looking tours on there, let us know if you come to Newfoundland we'll open our Moto B&B for you.:D
    michnus and Rudy like this.