Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    interview started just now!
  3. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing that interview, it was great to see you live. Kevin and I kind of took over the chat hahaha.
    BLucare likes this.
  4. morrisond

morrisond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Michnus and Elsebie,

I just finished your report and I have to say it was utterly fantastic. You have put an incredible effort in and your photos are amazing.

My only regret is that I did not find it sooner. Quite frankly I was put off by the title - I had assumed you were riding Honda 50's or something like a Tuk-Tuk and that did not sound too interesting vs the Hard core travellers you are exploring all corners of the world.

It may have turned other people off as well and hence why you were initially not getting as many views as you would have expected (or still may not be).

"Michnus and Elsebie's Hardcore Piki-Piki Adventures" or something to that effect probably would have gotten you 10-100x the readership :lol3
    michnus and Old Codger like this.
  5. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Adventure Pulse article re Colombia.
    michnus likes this.
  6. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    great RR as always. How long you been on the road for now guys?
    Where to after Argentina?
    michnus likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Last I heard they were in LA.
  8. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Missing you're reports Mateys!
    But liking the pics on IG.
    somewhere-els and michnus like this.
  9. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    have you guys been imprisoned? joined an anti- travel cult? Elsebie popped a cap in your ass and collected the insurance money??

Inquiring minds want to know! Especially if Elsebie is now dateable...and hasn't spent ALL the money yet! :D
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    You're a day late and a dollar short. :lol3
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Morrisond!:thumb
    Yeah man, you're probably correct in what you are saying. We need a more catchy name like, "had to drink our own pee to stay alive on the bike on our way to Starbucks" ?:lol3
    We had this chat with Overlanding friends when we all sit and drink beer chillin at some camp spot or hostel. All this fame bullshit thing. Let me share some thoughts with you from what I have learned and came to understand the last 11 years doing this. ;)

10-15 years ago the Advriding forum thing was a different place. People rode bikes for the love of it, we all loved the off-road, travel, motorcycle, get the out-there thing. Fame, look-at-me, being the coolest with the most sponsors, have the uber lightest, the more tricked-out horse was not a thing, in fact, it was stupid and most I know laughed at such stuff. So having catchy names and such was not part of the marketing. ( I see now, Youtube sensations change their cover pics daily to see if they can get more hits)

In any case, what happened to me during this time and other long term overlanders shared somewhat of the same experience. You go through some stages, something like the 4 stages of grief, this is just easier :photog

1st it is exciting sharing stuff, you're doing a new thing, want to tell people about it, and it is fun. Then as time goes by you tend to get calmer and share the stuff that is important, not go on like a yapping kid at a playpark fair. Then, soon realise that the reason you set out in the 1st place was for yourself, it is your money, your time and your experiences. Still share the honey, but be easy on it, no need to spam people.
    But then after about 5 years, with so many friends made in the process, you become comfortable with them in that they know your ways and we know they're there and still chatting.
    That I think is my tribe/friends/followers whatever we can call them, and you guys here on Advrider, they are still the people with the authentic passion and understanding of what Advriding is. I know they are here although I tend to post like a real moron, not enough, they know I will share when able or up to it. It's the same as those old school buddies you have and stay in touch with.

So, the need to seek fame and validation from strangers is irrelevant. I want to tell people fun, exciting, fact-based stories, tell them about new places they might want to go see themselves, prick their passion for hitting the bike into the unknown, cultures and sometimes the difficult things we tend to not want to see.

An overland friend said to me a while back, these new fame-seekers have stolen the innocence of Advriding. It is all about the dark and gloomy pics of overfitted BMW's Youtube please subscribe to death clips and that nonsense. My feeling is, keep it simple, keep it real and authentic, don't hype and puffer for drama. 14 years ago instead of trying to be a celebrity, I thought it better to try and add value to this game and riders and make a brand of soft luggage and all the other stuff going with it. Now we got involved with a new one and in the long term, I think it is a more sustainable way, rather than beg for likes, followers and subscribers. And importantly, keep it real for the riders that are still doing this for what we all got into it so long ago.

Nevertheless, you're are right, maybe our heading is a bit old and comical, we may need an update?:thumb:D
    elron, juno, Dessert Storm and 23 others like this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    In all about 10-11years, but it is on-off the 1st part as we still had demanding little bloody businesses back home. We sort of made it in such a way that we do not have to be there so frequently. It is costing us a bucket load of Dolla's but there is no other way around it. Well, we need to get the bikes out of Bolivia for now, which might only happen in Nov or Dec..

:lol3:photog Luckily just being bloody lazy and working like dogs on Turkana!
    juno, skibum69, Grynch and 3 others like this.
  13. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michnus, good to hear from you. Keep on doing your thing and let us know how you are now and then. I always think of you with a smile on your face and a beer in your hand, even when you are in stealth mode. :beer
    michnus likes this.
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    Howzit, how is it going with all you magnificent bastards?

So much stuff has happened in the last few months. First off, our bikes are still in Bolivia. We are in constant talks with very kind-hearted people who are helping us to extend the paperwork every 6 months. It is a bloody ordeal every time to get them to extend the bike's paperwork. Then when we were in the USA for the last 6 months we tried to get hold of the Bolivian Embassies in the USA without success. It is as if they just don't exist.

It works like this, foreigners get 90days per year entry to Bolivia, the bikes get the same time, but not with Covid they extend paperwork every 6 months. Currently, our bikes are there illegal as they haven't replied to us that they renewed the permits. But then the land borders for Bolivia and the neighbouring countries haven't open as yet. So, if we go back now we only get 3 months again and if the borders do not open in that time we have to fly out again for the next time.
    There are rumours floating the borders in South America with the other countries might open Nov/Dec. We decided to take the car we bought in the USA and drive to Mexico as we also get 6 months visa for Mexico. If all then goes to plan we can fly back to Bolivia from here.

In the meantime, we drove around a small portion of the USA, we worked our asses off on Turkanagear to get the website up and the new reckless systems called Mad Mules:D And got invited by Carl Parker to Advmoto magazine to attend their annual small event in Washington DC. And we replaced our old well-worn kit with new KLIM stuff, while we had the opportunity to be in the USA.

Two weeks ago we drove into Mexico and now in Oaxaca to meet up with Guatemala motorcycle friends for some chillin'.

We miss riding bikes so bloody much! It is nice having a car for a quick change, but it ain't the same and I know for a fact as long as bones and soul is willing we will stay on bikes:super
    E0EFCE57-CB00-4199-956B-7553A432EE8B.JPG

The new Tenere with our prototype rackless soft luggage. There's still more small design stuff to do but I think we are close to dammit on the final. I will start a proper vendor thread not to get in trouble with the mods to post here.

tempImageglsDgg.jpg
    Mr Carl Parker, the man, the legend, the editor and the owner of Advmoto magazine. Now this one hellova cool and interesting dude. It is no wonder Advmoto is such a loved magazine.

PIKI9642.JPG
    PIKI9654.jpg
    juno, Briggski, klaviator and 20 others like this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much Geezerguy! :thumb:beer
    GringoRider and Geezerguy like this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Something else I also forgot to share. The second edition of the ADVrider magazine and again I had the honour to contribute to this project, its freaking awesome!
    @Rudy and the team nailed it again. These magazines are more coffee book table edition and quality than a normal magazine, the quality of the printing, photos and paper is just bonkers.
    My homie Piet aka @doubleoseven and Elsebie had to pull fashion model moves.:photog

219068456_10158268156758240_1801833417865027089_n.jpg

217372823_10158268163883240_877563169205855696_n.jpg

208423309_10158268163518240_5233113065673163964_n.jpg
    juno, dano619, MaNDan and 16 others like this.
  17. doubleoseven

doubleoseven Renedian Adventures

Oddometer:
    Good job, @michnus !

(Pity that you had to work with such a stubborn and unprofessional male model though . . .)
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    You have such smooth moves with a couple of beers:photog
    Grynch likes this.
  19. somewhere-els

somewhere-els Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  20. Rudy

Rudy Learnin' Administrator Supporter