Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    You are so right Michnus !

I watch a fair bit on YT but none of it is about ADV riding.

The average YT celeb is making videos about them self, "look at me, I'm doing cool shit" Well, you might be doing cool shit but you're not enjoying it as much as you could because filming and editing takes an incredible amount of time and it's actually a job you are doing because you want to make money and/or gain fame with it.
    It's a little like reading a book or instead watching a movie about the same story.
    In the book you as reader are in command, the reader decides, with help of written hints and possibly a few images what the scenery looks like, how difficult the day was etc. The reader decides how the characters look, how their voices might sounds etc. etc.
    In the movie (video), all the imagination is taken away from you as all you do is sit and watch.

I watched a little bit of a YT video posted in a group I'm a member of. There was about 3 minutes of him getting ready before even starting the bike !!!

Michnus and Elsebie, please keep doing what you do and pop over for a beer or 20 when you're around !

Cheers, Ard
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Morning Michnus,
    Yes 15 years ago ADV riding was different (I use knobbie tyres now, but still the same bike:photog), you may have been stuck in the USA but you probably still got in as much riding as me (life took over), my beer drinking habits haven't changed, give my regards to Elsabie. :D
    michnus likes this.
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen! So very well written. :nod "Four stages of grief," great parallel.
    michnus likes this.
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    "It's a little like reading a book or instead watching a movie about the same story.
    In the book you as reader are in command, the reader decides, with help of written hints and possibly a few images what the scenery looks like."

Oh yeah, very well put. I can't stand talking heads or voice over narrative. I read a stack of books 1 1/2 feet high this Winter, mostly about living off the grid in Alaska and Canada.

Can't wait till Michnus writes more.
    michnus and Dutchgit like this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gave up on YT, dear lord the utter shit passed as content is brain rotting! How to tie shoelaces and why it is dangerous for motorcycle riding, yes, I kid you not! That is the shit added daily all in the pursuit of subscribers so they can earn a few bucks. And then the Algorithm changes and their business is gone :lol3

Absolutely agree with you on the book scenario, and why I hope and think forums will make a strong comeback. @Rudy and the boys IMHO is doing the right things to get people back to forums, or a particular ADVrider and keep growing it.
    FB, Insta, YT and the lot is now overrun with self-promotion BS and adverts. Forums are still like books, the advert spam is less, the self-promotion useless post you can skip chop-chop. People actually have to work a bit here. In the last year or two, the number of lazy posts on social media added to the amount of rubbish flowing over your feed. What oil to use, what lense must I use, are borders open from South America to the USA? Instant gratification and laziness rot the brain.

Scroll for 10min on any social media platform and you see nothing except adverts and some nonsense post in a group asking what oil to use. We saw this all evolve over the last 10-12 years. Also, remember 11 years ago there was no FB, we posted on forums, the quality of RR's was high-quality writing, now it's far and few between. Remember how many came to forums to search fame for their trips, and then a few months later, they're gone, never to be heard of again.

In any case, sorry for the longwinded drivel, just too good to hear other people's opinions and share some thoughts :freaky
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    Man, the only riding I did was the quick trip on the new Tenere and it got me to tears from joy :D The beer-drinking got less as the USA beers are more priced at upmarket wines:photog
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    With you, there are still some real gems out there to read. With some luck, a few magazines send us some beer money for articles and I got access to their magazines which with the few that's left are doing some pretty cool content. So with Advrider and them there's some groovy reading to be had :)
    Dessert Storm and Dutchgit like this.
  8. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a message to your inbox...
    michnus likes this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    It was time to take the road and get to Buenos Aires to meet our Pommie friends who ended their 2year travel in South America there. They would fly their bikes back to the UK.

[​IMG]

The north of Argentina is an incredibly beautiful area and the riding whether on tar or dirt are the stuff of dreams. We had to hit more tar to get to BA in time. Nevertheless, the landscapes and twisty roads made up for not hitting the dirt.

[​IMG]
    It is dry desert country. And it is still about 2500-3000m altitudes. At least there's numerous small Tiendas next to the road to get empanadas and a quick drink. Or local wine :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This we have never seen! Burrowing parrots outside the small wine town of Cafayate they congregate in massive flocks making massive noisy racket.

[​IMG]

I have no idea what they eat, but can only guess it is the wine grapes in the area. Late afternoon the noise starts again as they all move back to where ever they sleep. It is cool to see so many of them and that they didn't get wiped out like so many other wild animals due to agriculture and the human need for destroying anything that's alive :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We just bloody luuuve these countries, good food, good beers and it does not cost an arm and a leg. Cooked meals with meat and beers can be had for 10us for both of us. And even cheaper you don't want to sit at some posh place. Beer cost 1us or something.
    As our South African currency is so soul-destroyingly shit, travelling these countries at least does not have that choking, chest squeezing feeling to it like the 1st world countries. :photog
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Love the hand model!
  11. Flying Turtle

Flying Turtle Flying Turtle

Oddometer:
    Saludos con todo gusto, queridos amigos.
    Sigan disfrutando la vida, cabrones.
    R & A.
    michnus likes this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too really like the book vs movie analogy. Good to see you pop back up with some more chatter. I too have pretty much given up on social media except the 3 Moto forums I hang out on. Good luck with the borders, hopefully not too long now.
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    :freaky:thumb
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    Thanks dude! Yes, it is getting me close to rage now and considering overthrowing the Bolivian government to get riding again:photog
    skibum69 and Dutchgit like this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    Had to faff for while to get that shot:lol3
    joenuclear likes this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Autódromo Termas de Río Hondo

On our way to Buenos Aires, Elsebie was able to book us a cheap hotel close to the race track as a one-nighter. The owner of the dodgy bungalow establishment asked whether we know there is an interesting museum at the race track. The track was within walking distance from the bungalows. As the track is located in butt-fuck nowhere these places are unoccupied for most of the year.

I was baffled that a museum at the track would be open at all, and never mind that, that there would be anything interesting to see at all. Many time our experience of such is that is more than often end in disappointment.

Well, hit me with a wet salmon! This was a son-of-gun cool museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rotary Suzuki!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beautiful Katana, this bike was mental when it came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, there was a time with leather made drives :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Jag was in pristine condition, i could not tell whether it was recorded or original

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well there you have it, when in Argentina and close to the race track go have a look, it is absolutely worth it. I could fill a few pages with all the awesomeness that's in the building.
    In Feb 21 they had a massive fire at the buildings but it said the museum was able to get out of it unharmed.
  18. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-8-27_13-22-24.png
    The restorer misspelled Springfield. :photog
  19. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    What cracking pictures as always M&E !

"Slap me with wet Salmon" :rofl

Buenos Aires is one of the coolest cities I've ever been ! (And I hate cities !! )
    One of my teammates got a bit drunk we we were there for the Dakar in 2010 and found a "girl" he eventually disappeared with. We still don't know who got lucky in that story him or the person of unknown sex wearing a summer dress he walked off with :lol3
    michnus likes this.
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow-zer! :eek2
    michnus likes this.