Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    We call a bribe "dealing with bureaucracy" at that stage they were so useless even offering to deal with the bureaucracy would have went over their heads:photog
    skibum69 and joenuclear like this.
  2. michnus

Oddometer:
    It is so bloody nice to be in the USA and send and receive stuff and the next day shit just drops on the doorstep. Man, I appreciate and respect 1st world luxuries when we can:beer
  3. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I immediately have to have a beer when I visit this thread :-)

And that museum. Wow.
  4. michnus

Oddometer:
    Having a beer will definitely make reading my gibberish :)
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    I don't think many cities have so much entertainments opportunities as in BA. There are loads of small bars around where you can enjoy beers and good company till late into the night. All the time having live entertainment on offer to enjoy. We would hit the town at 8pm and bar hop till very late, each different and different dancers and music.

[​IMG]

These bars are not the get-in-drink-fuck-off style as in many 1st countries. You can relax and chill out at one table for the entire evening if you want. Take photos where you want, chat to dancers if you want, nothing is uptight and all stupid rules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No one had issues when I got up close and personal to get photos while they were hard in focusing on their act. The groovy part was we invited danders to have some drinks with us and it was incredible to listen to their stories. The different reasons they are doing this. All of them loved the dancing without a doubt, and it is easy to see why this is such a popular game in BA. But it also does make them good money from tips dancing at different places during the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Buenos Aires has to date been one of the grooviest cities for me. Just because it is so easygoing, it is so laid back with its many bars and places, and people. It is just too easy to chill out at any place, the food is good, it is not expensive. The people feel like they're authentic and genuine, just normal folk.
    yamalama, juno, klaviator and 15 others like this.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    The big reason we headed over to BA was to spend the last two weeks with our UK friends we made 2 years earlier in Colombia. Complete travel noobs Suzie and Kelvin met on a bike Tinder page. Well not really, but it was an online bike forum in the UK, bought old DR's, shipped them to Colombia and set out to conquer the place. The one year became two years and ended with a wedding ring carved from wood.

[​IMG]

Coincidentally Jim from AdventureRiderradio had an interview with them about their trip. It is a fun energic cool podcast and worth listening to.

https://adventureriderradio.com/adv...life-is-an-adventure-kelvin-and-suzie-prevett

suzie kelvin avvida motorcycle adventure blog.png
    Briggski, russ4ru, klaviator and 14 others like this.
  7. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Cracking stuff as always !
    Of course joined by fantastic photos :clap
    michnus likes this.
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: Dancers and bars of BA. Your usual amazing photos - wow! Almost like being there.
    michnus likes this.
  9. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the post.y'all keep it up.
    be well.

leon
    michnus likes this.
  10. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I now want to go to BA. Can I retire there?
    michnus likes this.
  11. Ristic

Ristic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met a young man from Kenya, asked him about riding to Turkana Lake, said no, never, they will shoot at you with AK-47 just for fun!? Yikes :)
    michnus likes this.
  12. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What a handsome group! Can Elsebie put her leg up on your shoulder while dancing?? :D
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    man we had some thoughts on that aswell:photog
  14. michnus

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was even like that when we were there, but that said, with a motorcycle that looks obviously out of place and not something they see every day the locals are more curious than wanting to do harm.
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss, we might not know how close we were to having shit...:photog
    Dutchgit likes this.
  15. michnus

Oddometer:
    Only when we had copious amounts of moonshine:photog
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Across from the bay in Buenos Aires is that small country of Uruguay. Said to be the Switzerland of South America. It's a country with only 3milj people, and quite well run. Very much a European flavour and people.
    The previous president Jose Mujica has been described as "the world's humblest head of state" due to his austere lifestyle and his donation of around 90% of his $12,000 monthly salary to charities that benefit poor people and small entrepreneurs. He also drove around in his Blue 1987 VW Beetle instead of new convoys.

We wanted to hit the quick ferry between BA and Uruguay to get across the bay. That turned out a bad joke as they wanted half a piece of scrotum skin for the trip. We decided to ride 700km around the problem to enter the country and with staying in a hotel to do that was cheaper than the ferry.

[​IMG]
    The first evening in Uruguay, a stunning sunset over the bay and afterwards indulged in local cuisine and wine to celebrate a new country.

[​IMG]
    Unbeknown to us Urugya has a flourishing wine industry, and it is bloody good wines, we made sure of that. Keeping along the way riding towards Montevideo the capital city there are quaint little towns with a laid back atmosphere. Uruguay is still very nice in this way. It is not a mega country powerhouse with all high tech stuff. It is authentic, rustic, with easy-going people and keeping to their rich history and the buildings still show that.

[​IMG]
    The bbq joints are straight up our alley, the meat is bloody incredible and they know how to braai.
    [​IMG]

Look, make no mistake the rough and dirt of overlanding is our thing, will always be. But I can't deny that the few times when in places like this with good restaurants, bars and groovy places to chill, it is real soul food. It is nice to enjoy some normality and see what local's see as their normal.
    Motopsychoman, juno, russ4ru and 17 others like this.
  17. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Sounds a great place to live ! What's the new president like ? Do you know ?
    They do serve nice beer too ! (as I don't drink wine) I had many of those in Austria.
  18. michnus

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how it is going now, although I always ask locals about politics and the economy to better understand each other country and generally how people feel. There will always be the people that will whine about how the place is going to the dogs, but generally, in Uruguay, the majority I spoke to was happy with the current outfit and very positive about their country. I can for sure live there no doubt. The place is the best-kept secret as far as expat living go :D
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Montevideo, Uruguay’s capital, revolves around the Plaza de la Independencia, once home to a Spanish citadel. This plaza leads to Ciudad Vieja (the old town), with beautiful art deco buildings, colonial homes and landmarks including the towering Palacio Salvo. Mercado del Puerto is an old port market filled with many steakhouses, and they make some darn good food.

On Sundays, people fill a cordoned off few street blocks especially to sell yard sale stuff. The difference is the stuff there is not all rubbish. There are old people selling tables full of old Leica cameras, LP's and bloody cool art deco stuff that's from the era. The story goes that people buy out dead estates and because Uruguay had such a rich Euro influence there's loads of the authentic old school stuff still around.

If we ever move there, I would take nothing and just go buy stuff at this Sunday sale :)

[​IMG]
    Uruguayans are actually fun and friendly bunch of people, we only had good interactions with them. They are easy to approach and up to help with whatever issue.

[​IMG]
    Don't think they are all conservative and just another South American religious ruled type place. They are actually quite open-minded about stuff and also have a proper nude beach just north of the city. Just out of interest what we learned from locals. In 1974, Uruguay passed a law that made drug consumption legal. Uruguay has one of the most advanced drug policies on the continent. In Uruguay, the law does not criminalize drug use or possession of drugs for personal use. In addition, in recent years its national drug policies have prioritized the prosecution of medium and large-scale traffickers rather than focusing resources and energy on small-time dealers who are easily replaced. This country study examines the scope of the legislation, the policies developed and how the normative and policy frameworks find expression in Uruguay’s prison system, with a special focus on the population incarcerated for drug-related offences.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently, these are the hottest thing around, hipsters use them now instead of iPhone 13's :photog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The old guys and girls use the time on a Sunday as a type of Tinder thing. They show their dust-covered stuff in the attic to lure in the old gals and then hit up a chat with them. Look at my shiny bits :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Proper local brewed beer is on offer, it is a place to hang the moring. There are no BS mobile phone covers and that type of rubbish sold. It is all old school authentic stuff.

[​IMG]

20. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    sex, drugs and rock n roll, my kinda place :)