Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Yellow snow angels? Nope, breaking the piss off as icicles *:lol8:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We spend some time in La Fouly, a small ski village somewhere with moerse high peaks.

[​IMG]
    400 year old houses still standing looking like new.

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m and Phipsd like this.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We were late waiting for our friends in the mountains and got fucking cold. And for warm blooded South Africans the cold is not something we are used to. So nothing more to do than drink coffee with liberal amount of whiskey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Riding in Switzerland without helmets! They would get a serious fucking heart attack. Swiss never do anything wrong. And if they do not like something they ban it. *:lol8:

[​IMG]
    Antoine and Carlene used Elsebie's bike to take us for a trip into the Swiss Alps.

[​IMG]
    Your choices are highway through the entire Switzerland and you pay R450 per bike to be on the highway which is 350km long from on end of Switzerland to the other end. Or, you take the back roads, stick to the speed limit and it will take you a week, no jokes! And then if the mountains are snowed over you take trains like these through the mountains

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Okay here is a tip! Fuck hamburgers and that heart attack packages! They also taste like woodshaving!
    LEBERKASE is the BEST tasting fast food ever invented. Warm thick slice on a hot bun and the world is good, wash it down with a beer!
    benedikt.m likes this.
  3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great reporting mich, especially of the moto museums!

i appreciate the effort and good pics.

yeah, one of these days....:cry
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    most excellent!
    do you plan on riding in Canada at some point in time?
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Just a pleasure, we visited a few others, I will post some photos from them as well. :wink:
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We will be going to South America first and then back up to Canada. So might be next year or end next year. Depends on how goo the beers are in South America. :D
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We spend a few days with friends in Switzerland in St Gallen, a small town close to the border of Germany and Austria. I understand we are suppose to act our age, but we grew up with cold Highveld winters and not this much snow. Now, how on earth can you act your age when a steep snow covered slope and a plastic shovel is beggin? :evil:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Does not matter the cow shit covered slopes.........

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/122630357" width="700" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/122630357">Extreme arse ski in switzerland</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/pikipiki">PikiPiki Motorcycle travel</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    And this is how I made my name ass *:lol3

[​IMG]
    Just for reference, this house is over 400 years old. Price around R4.5milj and very middle class-ish, considered rural area what we considered a nice suburb outside the city. Swiss are not allowed to do their own plumbing or any electrical work. Replacing an average heating system with a buffer tank and geyser will cost around R150k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Loads of markets selling the best tasting sausages. But also some Nuclear waste hot chilli stuff that will burn the life out of your O-ring

[​IMG]
    Time to put the bikes asleep for the winter. We still had a good stretch to ride to Ulm where we would leave the bikes. And without cold riding clothes it was a very interesting experience.
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, if you make to the San Francisco area (California) while crossing the US, I'm sure there are some of us here who will buy you a beer or two.

Just got onto your thread and started reading through it. Great adventure. Keep safe.
  9. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    And if Oregon is in your plans, send me a PM a few weeks before. There will be beer, barbecue and a room for a good night of sleep. Or more nights if you need, there is a BMW dealer in town.
  10. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Same in Nashville, Tennessee!
  11. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    Awesome RR!!
  12. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I checked you two out was page 44. What a nice surprise! Looks like many miles! Great miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We will for sure do that thank you very much Motopsychoman! We must be out of the US by Oct and going down to Mexico. On our way out will go past you. :thumb
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated thanks LionBR! :thumb

We are going to the BMWOA thing in Billings and then will head South into Oregon and down to Mexico.

No BMW's this time, poverty spec DR650's :lol3
  15. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thank you! We really appreciate it. We will be going east up the USA when we get back from South America next year. We will keep contact. :thumb
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We got back to Ulm where are bikes *took a bit of a rest for the winter. We left them with a German couple we met in Ethiopia. They both ride BMW R100 kalahari's and have been all over Africa with them. Birgit even did Van Zyl's pass all on her own with that bike!

We had loads to fix and do before heading for Holland to meet up with other Dutch friends we met while travelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Can not work on bikes without beer. *:biggrin:

[​IMG]
    Just getting fucking fedup! The bikes sometimes have the ability to rob my sense of humour.
    benedikt.m likes this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Holland - Oost-Indische Compagnie
    The Dutch was rated the happiest nation not so long ago. Or second happiest after marijuana smokers in the Transkei, I can't remember. This small nation of 15milj is quietly doing their thing and many innovative brands are coming from the Dutch.

Look, we are not the kind who does DNA testing and proclaim to be African-European and then go over to find our roots sobbing while walking around a village looking for our ancestors. The truth is that for South Africans from European descent we found it really interesting to see building and everyday houses older than the 1652 when Jan's boat anchored in Cape town. The Dutch love their culture and history and it is evident from the way they preserve their building and heritage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Old shed now is being used as a home. This place is also around 400-500 years old.

[​IMG]
    Still had some things to do on the bikes. The shit the Egyptians sold me as fork-oil turned out to be Nile mud. It took me half a day to clean up all the shit in the shocks and fitted new seals and oil.

[​IMG]
    When in Rome. We used friends bicycles to ride around Utrecht. The Dutch owns on average 4 bikes per person. * :lol8:

[​IMG]
    Houses build on small barges in the dykes. And they own titles to those houses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    There's whats called the bible belt in Holland. That did not stop this dude who was called to build a new Ark. *:lol3

[​IMG]
    One big thing in Holland is the pubs, there are loads of them. Individually owned and past down the family. This pub's Poffertjie plate is close to 200 years old and still make the sweets everyday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Zakkenrollers. Pickpocketer /b] :lol3
    benedikt.m likes this.
  19. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    No probs, we will source some low quality beer to match your bikes. Of course, not, you will still get the top notch stuff! Plus we just happen to live in walking distance to five breweries...
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We are not picky when it comes to beer. Okay we are a bit, the piss stuff is not good. :lol3

5 Beer breweries? :eek1:freaky:lol3