Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:

Funny because we love winging about the place.

Oh, and it's 17 mln
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    They actually reproduce again? Or is it the influx from Morocco? :D
  3. rotarywing

rotarywing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I offer the same for Michigan. 1 hour North of Detroit. Great beer as well.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much Rotarywing. We will go that way when we make our way back from South America next year. Will definitelykeep in contact with you.

:thumb:beer
  5. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    I remember reading your Angola report a few years ago...one of the best I've read.

Anyhooo..if you find yourself in the Pyrénées fire a PM for route advice etc,a beer or if I've room at the time a free bed for the night.

:)

Team of Goats in Maroc....all childish and extremely immature...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934266
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Hay man! We just missed you and would have loved to ride the Pyrénées! We just did not know the nice local routes without the tourist. But we will be back there for damn sure! Will keep in contact. :thumb

Farking nice ride in you did in Maroc! Love it!
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We spend some time in Holland before heading towards France through Belgium.

Some more pictures of Amsterdam and surrounding towns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have no idea don's ask. *:evil

[​IMG]
    The Dutch love their bikes. But you knew that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Most of those houses pre date 1652 and still used as houses to this day.

[​IMG]
    Have that in SA and I guarantee you it will be thrown upon and be demanded to be removed.

[​IMG]
    Comdon for every shape and size weener. Even if your head boost some funny shape. :lol3

[​IMG]
    The good stuff shop.
    benedikt.m likes this.
  8. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kid words ref. Maroc...hence the name of my group each year....just really like leading a herd of goats :rofl

I'm retired so I'm here most of the time. PM as and when you want. I head back to Maroc at the end of October again..

Enjoy your ride...

All the best

:D

9. SlowBlueman

SlowBlueman n00b

Oddometer:
    Lot of fun reading you !!!!:rofl

Kind regards from Spain..:beer

SlowBlueman
  10. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Cool will keep contact! But we will only be back in Eu in 2 years time or more depends how busy South America and the rest holds us here. :D
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The Spain report is coming. :evil:thumb
  12. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    What a groovy feeling to actually park the Dakar that went all the way up Africa next to the Eiffel tower. Mangez bien, riez souvent, aimez beaucoup means: “Eat well, laugh often, love abundantly.”
    Joie de vivre: Joy/happiness derived from life.

Travelling Europe is not about struggling with motorcycles through soft sand like we did in Africa. Europe is an easy and very comfortable adventure. What Europe offers instead is an incredible rich history, architecture and diverse culture and heritage. Best experienced when exploring the backroads and rural villages. But most of all on a motorcycle it is also relatively cheap to explore and much more fun! The true France we saw was so much more rewarding, insightful, quirky with lots of French flair, romance and passion.

Arriving back in Europe a little late in the summer, or really early winter, we high-tailed it from Ulm to The Netherlands to watch a Pink Floyd show with our Dutch friends and some friends from SA. *From there we rushed through Belgium, had a quick stop in Paris to ‘dry out’ and took the quickest route to the coast.

[​IMG]
    The Arch de Triomphe a magnificent part of history. Circling it is great fun while scaring the bejesus out of the locals.

We headed to Fontainebleau, just South of Paris, to do a bit of business and like the year before found it such a beautiful town. The forest around Fontainebleau and the Palace of Fontainebleau (one of many homes of Marie Antoinette) with its beautifully kept grounds makes it a worthwhile trip indeed. Not at all the images we have as South Africans of an over populated Europe.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    benedikt.m likes this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Avenue des Champs-Élysées runs down from the Arc de Triomphe and is THE road to shop. It also houses some of the major motor car brands elite showrooms with prototypes and showcase some new cars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beer is still well priced for South Africans provided you buy at a local grocers.

[​IMG]
    uuuurgghh flat number 1488340plenty *:patch:
    We rented this small cabin outside Paris to get our stuff dry and explore the city with the bikes.

It seemed like our bikes were slightly faster than the rainy cloud that followed us, because as soon as we reached a destination, shortly afterwards it rained. Yet, the road we took heading straight west to the coast took us through scenic farmlands and gorgeous little villages.

Camping in France is great – we were unfortunately a bit late for camping season so most establishments were closed, but those we found open were well run and clean. What we liked most about our travels in this area was the beautiful green forests – we generally stay off the main roads and found it heaven for cyclists, hikers and campers. It is easy and safe to wild camp most places in France.
    benedikt.m likes this.
  14. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great RR.
    Glad, you liked riding in France !
    You're completely right : The pleasure of riding in France is about the small D roads and all the small villages with so much old churches and castles.
    People are also so much more friendly and relax than in big cities like Paris or Marseille. (I know : I live in Paris and will soon move in the Alps area.)

Did you camp in the "camping du Bois de Boulogne" which is the only one in Paris area.

It seems that you missed Avenue de la Grande Armée just on the other side from the Arc de Triomphe from the Champs Elysées.
    Champs Elysées are for the car show rooms but the bikes are on avenue de la Grande Armée.
  15. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Man we really fell in love with France. it's such a groovy place and will have to go spend much more time there.

Yes we stayed at camp Bois de Boulogne. Not bad, well not all overland and all but a it's okay for people like us who travel on a tight budget. :D

I think we must have missed Avenue de la Grande Armée. I would have been to all of them I knew. :baldy
    So we will be back :D
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:

Some more of the The Avenue des Champs-Élysées.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ladies of that time was not bad on the eye. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is how pizza delivery must be done!

[​IMG]
    Toyota GT2000 priceless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's not what you think, it's bird shit :lol3

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m likes this.
  17. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your picture of the "romantic locks" on the Paris "Pont des Arts" ("Arts bridge") will soon be a thing of past. The Paris council has decided to forbid them because the weight of all the locks was more than 50 metric tons and it was a danger of breaking the railings. They had to cut open all the locks periodically.
    They will replace the wiring with Plexiglas....
  18. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Yes, we understood so. Would be a pity. But that said, they are probably right as the weight of those locks could add up quickly.
  19. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving the updates from Europe. Getting excited to get there now.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    After Africa you are going to love the relaxed holiday feel again. :freaky:lol3