Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We need some updating here...
    al1460 likes this.
  2. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Especially from Baja!!!! Possibly going to Baja for a whole month in Dec myself!! :dllama:
    michnus likes this.
  3. 10ecjed

10ecjed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I just caught up. I'm a little slow. I didn't want to post until I got here. But WOW. Great RR. I follow a few threads that are epic and this one is fantastic. Your pics and stories are special. Keep it up. I'm along for the long ride.
    michnus likes this.
  4. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some fabtastic pics guys. You really know what youre doing behind a lens. Looking forward to tales from Mexico
    michnus likes this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had a chat with Michnus, they took the ferry from La Paz to Los Mochis yesterday. Right now they are in Choix, waiting out the rain. They will make a run for Batopilas a day after tomorrow, then onto Creel.
    Spank likes this.
  6. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell them to make a stop in Xilitila Northeast of the DF, that place should not be missed while in Mexico, wonderful place. Glad they are getting into the canyons, perfect time of year imho.
    Spank and 10ecjed like this.
  7. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the best to you, rest up and thank you for letting me follow along on a great RR.
  8. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    Patricia will be a major event, I hope you guys seek cover.
    Looking forward to the storm report.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    As we say on this side of the globe, "time to hunker down". Find good sturdy shelter and good luck. Patricia is carrying 200 MPH winds and may dump 20" of rain in some areas. Beware of flash floods and mudslides as well.
    - Marty

Just realized you two had turned toward Copper Canyon. The winds shouldn't get to where you are, but watch out for heavy rains and mudslides.
    michnus likes this.
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have not heard from Michnus and Elsbie since Wed. 6:39 P.M.His last message read ; " No rain so far, hope tomorrow no rain as we hitting the dirt."
    He was on his way from Choix to Batopilas. Of course Google maps stated it was only a 7 hour ride. According to MOTOHANK it is a two day ride, in good conditions. Batopilas does not have good internet. So lets hope that they have hunkered down in a good place.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife just got a text from Elsbie, all is well they are in Parral.
    Spank and OldPete like this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    hahaha that was a funny one. I did not realise at first it was stickied. :D
    Spank likes this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We will make a plan for damn sure some where in the future. The world is small. We just hooked up with two Dutchies that we missed in Africa and now saw them in Baja! From all places. :D :thumb
    Spank likes this.
  15. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Baja -"B AH - h ah"
    Such a small place offering so much fun. Desert riding, sun, warm sea water, camping on the beach. It's easy to understand why Baja is such a loved place. Rules are mere suggestions, food is good, cheap and people always up for a chat. It is difficult to get into bike gear rather than wallow in the warm water with a beer.
    Baja is best explored offroad and to really experience the dramatic landscape and flora. The best kept secrets of Baja's beaches and small villages are on the less travelled roads. And if you are an American get your ass there, you can relax and do the kind of stuff you can't in the States. :wink::beer
    We could have easily spend a month longer in Baja.Thanks @Johnnydarock for the good tips and tracks and write up for Baja, we would sure have missed many of the stuff you mentioned.

[​IMG]
    Having fun and racing our own Baja Beer 1000 :lol3

[​IMG]
    We were lucky to get there after the rains and found the entire middle part of Baja with lush green vegetation.

[​IMG]
    These Cacti are bloody enormous it feels all Jurassic park riding there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lucky not to get one of these mofo's into a tyre.

[​IMG]
    Baja reminds us of places like Namibia and parts of South Africa after rains. The most beautiful flowers sprout up for a few weeks transforming a desert into a colour spectacle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The offroad in Baja is nothing short of a blast and just nirvana for dual sports and lightweight enduro bikes.

[​IMG]
    But if sand is your nemesis it's best to stay away. We love riding sand and even bigger bikes with skill can ride these sand tracks.

[​IMG]
    Amazing, we followed some tracks from an enduro bike and the tracks did not even properly dig into the sand. Our loaded bikes made much more deeper tracks in the soft sand.
    [​IMG]

benedikt.m, Spank, Phipsd and 6 others like this.
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    And then we even got some rain which turned the tracks into rivers. But was a very welcomed cool down from the heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had to visit Coco's corner. Coco is even in South Africa a legend and I always hoped to one day be able to sit and have beer with him. He is such a cool down to earth guy. Laughing talking shit making jokes. And his beer is cheaper than any place in the USA! Fuck it, how you guys tolerate being ripped like that for beer prices in the USA. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can stay for free in the RV's if you pitch with a bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Other hombres pitched up with enduro bikes.
    benedikt.m, Spank, Phipsd and 9 others like this.
  17. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Long timer

Oddometer:
    You drove well in such terrible condition.Admirable spirit!
    Spank and michnus like this.
  18. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    It is really difficult to get into bike clothes ones you kicked the shoes off and start drinking beer next to the ocean. Luke warm water just add to the feel-a-fuck-can't-care-less attitude of Baja.

Maybe that's why Baja is such a kickass place to ride. You get it all in one small package.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our American neighbours at Kiki's campsite in San Felipe quickly made friends with us. These baby boomers can drink up a storm and at 9 in the morning they would come over with gourmet Bloody marry's that will kill a donkey. By 12 the camp is a riot and some of them risk drowning in the shallow water. :lol3

[​IMG]
    You can choose whether you want to see breathtaking sunrises or sunsets in Baja, or do both on the same day :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Locals get to ride some cool buggies.

[​IMG]
    Life is brutal in Baja, it's a poor region and with limited water and resources. With that people are still friendly and inviting.

[​IMG]
    So many small bays along the coast lends itself to nice wild camping spots or to just get off the bike for seme skinny dipping to cool off.
  19. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Sitting out the rains for a few days.

[​IMG]
    The Pelicans was entertainment enough while passing the time. This lot are more rowdy than an African protest rally when it comes to fish scraps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Good times!
  20. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Holly $*it!!! That's the best Baja pics I've ever seen!!! GPS tracks or it didn't happen!! :D:photog
    Spank likes this.