Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    hahaha seems we are still in luck then!
    We land in NY on the 6th and have booked a place in China town Manhattan Bowery lodge and then till the 10th we are booked at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, it's as cheap as we were able to pay for accommodation without having to sleep in a stormwater pipe in Central Park. The poverty spec South African way. :D:lol3

If you are okay for it we would be happy to spend a few more days walking around NY and Manhattan. :thumb
    Spank, 10ecjed and 1200Reasons like this.
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    morning michnus :y0!
    michnus likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Morning Welsh!
    Manhattan is a crazy place!“It’s lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!":lol3
    RedDogAlberta and Spank like this.
  4. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    :sweeti
    It should suit you delightfully, you got out at the right time 8C the high yesterday in Jo,burg.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spank likes this.
  6. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is Durango?
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Evidently, things look pretty good! IMG-20160703-WA0020.jpg
  8. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, if you come into Utah, hit me up! I'd love to make good on that beer with you guys! :beer
  9. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    So the diet is going well Michnus... it looks good....:photog
    KMC1 likes this.
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG-20160706-WA0002.jpg They just left from Coco's house in Durango. They are heading to Mazatlan.
    Spank and somewhere-els like this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    When in Mazatlan you must check out the Shrimp Ladies![​IMG]

There are several "mercados", the official ones, in Mazatlan. The "shrimp ladies" (that's plural) are NOT in any official market. They have individual stalls--about 30--on both sides of the street Aquiles Serdan (which also passes the mercado central) for 1 block, starting 1 block north of Zaragosa. This is a several block hike north of the mercado central that is featured in the guide books. Besides shrimp (camarones--in all different sizes and descriptions) they have (usually) octopus (pulpo), squid (calamares), and rock lobster (langosta) tails.

They set up their stalls pretty early, I would guess by 8 AM at the latest (I never get there before 9 or 10) and the selection has begun to drop by 12. They're usually pretty well sold out and gone by 3 to 4 PM.

Any taxi or pulmonia will take you there or you can ride the Sabalo Cocos bus (and MAYBE the Sabalo Centro-the big air conditioned ones). Unless you're going straight back to your hotel, take a small cooler and the vendor will give you some ice.

http://www.joesoysterbar.com/Mazatlan-Shrimp-Ladies.html
    Spank, 10ecjed and michnus like this.
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Look for slabs of smoked Marlin to munch on. Delicious.
    michnus and Grynch like this.
  13. samalama

samalama Where we going? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great second half you two! Mexico is beautiful.
    michnus likes this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Spank and Grynch like this.
  15. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love that "shag wagon" you driving around :killen
    Grynch and michnus like this.
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    It's been a tough few months for our family with my mom passing away. But at least things can go back to normal for all of us. It's still going ot be difficult for us to deal with this but as the old cliche goes time heals everything. I don't fully agree but it helps, with the passing of time memories may fade.

I just have to start with our trip back to the USA, what happened is part of what makes travelling and the adventure riding community so special.

Elsebie is the guru on finding cheap flights and it worked out that the cheapest would be via New York to Texas. And since she has been there and forever harped on about Manhattan... New York is one of the coolest cities in the world, well in her humble opinion. Tickets booked and hotels rooms reserved in the most dodgy parts of Manhattan which is all poverty spec South Africans can afford our first night was in China town in a 1/2 Star hotel with a 5 Star Trump price tag.

In this time I got a message from @DR. Rock which is also on TentSpace to go stay with him and his gorgeous wife @La Donna Fugata, they are also the couple behind the Mobius trip report on Advrider. Now hit me with a wet dead fish I would never have even gave one thought to look up on Tentspace for a place to stay in Manhattan with an Advrider connection.
    But that's the wonders of our world, again we got the opportunity to meet and befriend such groovy cool people. Ye, ye it is all about the bike and the world but most importantly it's about people. It's just magic, and we can't stop talking, telling people that to this day our most treasured experiences was with the people we have met so far.

South Africans for the most part grew up with an American, European influence. So we got all the Miami Vice, Magnum, Friends....sitcoms and music and about everything to do with the Western world. Having seen so many sitcoms playing out in NY and the beautiful appartments it was so cool to hang a few days in one of those über cool apartments.

[​IMG]
    I have to say this, there are people with serious skills in this world. Jamie Oliver and that other bloke, what's his face screamer cook I believe has nothing on Dr.Rock when it comes to creating food magic. He Whatsapped us saying he felt like Ravioli. Cool! We will buy some and come over. Nope, he said we will make it. He made Ravioli from scratch in the time it took the water to boil! And without blowing smoke up his arse was the best damn Ravioli I ever had.

[​IMG]
    And to top that he made us Apple pie, also from scratch and no canned Apples but fresh Apples!

[​IMG]
    "McSorley's Old Ale House, generally known as McSorley's, is the oldest "Irish" tavern in New York City.[1] Located at 15 East 7th Street in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, it was one of the last of the "Men Only" pubs, only admitting women after legally being forced to do so in 1970"

The bartender asked us; So what would it be?
    Us: Beer please, what do you have?
    Bartender: Dark or light.
    :lol3:drink

[​IMG]
    Dr.Rock took us to his local Pizza & pasta restaurant, Aroma Kitchen & Winebar. How fucking cool is that, having your own outside table?
    Without meeting @DR. Rock and @La Donna Fugata we would never have seen or experience some of these non-tourist authentic places in Manhattan.

[​IMG]
    I think @La Donna Fugata told us there were some 15000 restaurants in Manhattan or NY. It's amazing, and just the few we visited had really great food. One funny thing we noticed was that there were very few fat people around. Maybe because most people walk in Manhattan or it's so damn expensive people are going hungry.

[​IMG]
    The park where the Friends sitcom intro was shot, this lady set a table for her boyfriend's birthday. Rocking girl this!:thumb

[​IMG]
    Saturday morning some are in good mood and some are sour pusses :lol3

[​IMG]
    "The High Line is a 1.45-mile-long New York City linear park built in Manhattan on an elevated section of a disused New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line"

[​IMG]
    I swear this sculpture had me going for a while, I honestly thought it was real :D

[​IMG]
    Don't be fooled, there are many of these "social" chess players around. Looks all easy going and cool. But they play for money and Kasparoff will shit bricks keeping up with them!

[​IMG]
    I have no clue wtf is going on here :lol3

[​IMG]
    Think you are rich owning a car? Then try pay for parking Manhattan.

[​IMG]
    Only 12.99$ for tap water!
    benedikt.m, Spank, richamor and 8 others like this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    hahaha man it was so much fun, never thought I would get a ride in a shag caddy :D
    Spank likes this.
  18. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great updates! Good to see you two back on the road!
    michnus likes this.
  19. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I will be the first to confess I loath cities and we stay de hell away from them as best possible. But that said with travelling sometimes somewhere there are some cities worth visiting. Manhattan turned out to be one of them. There is the working everyday part and then the tourist part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There are some places in Manhattan where clothes optional are allowed, can you damnwell believe that? In the USA, nudity? :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am like so exited and all, like I can't handle this! The tourist areas of course are the typical girl/boy dragging the black wheeled suitcase with all their fancy clothes and accessories in the one hand and a selfie stick, Starbucks and Ipad in the other :lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Swagger, stylin, glamour....it's all New York.

[​IMG]
    This is my home, welcome! :D

[​IMG]
    Don't ask I have no freaking idea! Air the Beaver? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    @DR. Rock gave us this self guided Podcast walk narrated by Vinny Vella from Sopranos fame around Little Italy street in Down town Manhattan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m, Spank, Phipsd and 8 others like this.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I still remember the day 9/11 happened, I still remember driving home and a friend called to say to check the television it's chaos as if it's world war 3! But even after all this time I still could not anticipate the feelings and emotions I had when we got to Ground Zero. I had no words, I don't know what to say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]