Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Adios Mexico!
    We ended up in Mexico for just over 7,5 months. Mexico truly rates as one of the best countries we have visited and were privilege to experience. Absolutely zero happened, we had no incidents or bribe request. Not once were we screwed over by anyone. Mexicans are such easy going friendly people. Girls never gave me a days' shit for taking photos of them, even when I did not ask them. We could not keep count of the times we had invites for drinks and food from locals. Their culture the colours, landscapes, nature, art, history and warm heartedness is truly special and something to experience.

I think we rode close to 10000km in Mexico from Baja through the Copper Canyon and everywhere else in that country. From places people told us not to go to tits up tourist places. The one thing that struck us big time is the fear mongering we got from folke in the USA. It is absolutely not even remotely as dire and dangerous as people makes it out to be. Ye..ye.. you have to keep your eyes open everywhere in the world.

For Americans in my very humble opinion. You could not have asked for nicer neighbors than the Mexicans. They are real authentic, life wire, fire in the belly type people. Life in Mexico are still real and if you want to know what the world is like unsanitized and gritty and have a prickling adventure get your ass to Mexico!

Have a bike and want to at least not look like a Starbucks runner? I think every American adventure rider owe it to him or her self to at least once in their life do a trip to Mexico and get drunk on proper Tequila. :thumb

For people thats not so sure maybe try to go with people that knows Mexico and can speak Spanish. Hank from www.motohank.com do trips into Mexico with small groups and very personal type of setup. He is also from Mexican descent and can speak the language and knows Mexico like the back of his hand. Other well know guy that can do offroad trips is J.J. Lewis from https://good-adv.com/ his outfit does trips to the Copper Canyon which is mind blowing stuff and he is fluent in Spanish.

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m, Phipsd, micko01 and 10 others like this.
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Quit taking such great pictures.
    You're making me look bad :imaposer
    michnus likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    There is one thing I have to give Mexicans a bit of shit and a dig. They must be the BIGGEST buyers of selfish-sticks from China. They luuuuve selfies! :lol3:sweeti

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michnus: Are you saying you didn't need all those fake Driver Licenses you made when you were staying at my house? Never pulled over by the cops? You won't get through Honduras without getting pulled over for no good reason. More ruins pictures please. John
    michnus likes this.
  5. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I believe that they believe they are connecting to Aliens in that position.
    I read that on Wikipedia :jack
    michnus likes this.
  6. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Uhmmm
    He's not the ruins guy.

I am :lol3

And don't confuse the 2 of us...
    He drinks more beer than me :jack
    michnus likes this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    fuck not once! All the effort for squad! :lol3

And to add to that. The absolute rubbish that people post on Facebook about Central America is just as bad. We are now in Panama. Not one bribe and we were stopped a few times. All of the border crossing on average took us 2hours and zero of the rape, killings and pillage we were warned about. In fact Central America is one schuweet place to travel. It's easy as pie and more a holiday than a death run :lol3
    Honduras is the best kept secret, if you want to have a super cool trip without any tourist or Starbucks runners go to Honduras. It's a beaut!

@goodcat is the ruin runner, I can't see anymore dead people:lol3

:lol3:imaposer
    benedikt.m, MaNDan, micko01 and 2 others like this.
  8. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
  9. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Michnus: No...I led tours in Mexico 20+ years ago when I was young and dumb. Now I'm old and still dumb but just ride to Mexico now...leaving on a two week ride in a few weeks. Shipped my bike to McAllen Texas and will meet up with a buddy and get all the way to Majahual...a little Chiapas...and some Sierra Gorda on the way back. Like you...Mexico is one of my favorite countries and it should be an epic ride. I was trying to be funny when I asked for more ruins. I should have asked for more chicas on the beach but I knew I didn't have to ask. Take care my friend. Johnny da Rock
    PvtPts, uintamts and michnus like this.
  10. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    @Johnnydarock I think you of all people know the best spots in Mexico :D One we loved was Boca de Pascuales loads of chicas there :wink:
  11. jaakmh

jaakmh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still one if the best RR's ever! Mexico sure looks real interesting. Added to the bucket list trips
    forgorin likes this.
  12. PvtPts

PvtPts Wanderer in training

Oddometer:
    Got news for you. Whether you like it or not, you're a tourist too.
    michnus likes this.
  13. PvtPts

Oddometer:
    And this....I could not agree more based on my experience in Mexico. The warmth and hospitality I've received on every trip has been second to none.

michnus likes this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    micko01 and PvtPts like this.
  15. PvtPts

Oddometer:
    goodcat and michnus like this.
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Okay a bit of self-deprecating. Seeing all the kids hammering the Instagram selfie thing, I just had to do my own version of it. And we have a thing for when friends when they do some stupid stuff. We will say they must keep stuff real. It came from a local Namibian beer company commercials. Indigo is one of Mexico's best beers and was perfect for the clip :lol3 :D

need sound. @moto.phil helped to create teh clip.

benedikt.m, forgorin, PvtPts and 6 others like this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately Belize had to be a dash in and out country. As with Cuba it is an expensive country to travel even on your own transport and eating out of super markets. Also the first country we had to pay an exit fee.

[​IMG]

The choice was to ride around for 2 weeks or park the bikes and spend 4 days on a small touristy but fun island off the mainland drinking beer and snorkeling with sharks and other interesting sea creatures. We opted for the later as it was holiday and close to year end.

[​IMG]

It's a beautiful country from the bit we saw with abundance of wildlife and really easy going people.

Belize is part of the old British colonised countries and they speak English and Creole but many has learned Spanish as a second or third language. Why such a poor country is so expensive is quite strange.
    benedikt.m, Phipsd, george248 and 6 others like this.
  18. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The sacrifice stone at the Lamanai ruins near Orangewalk. I am sure that stone can still be used today for more sacrifices. But more specific for the dictator type of the world. :lol3

Lamanai features three large pyramids, various restored stelae, and open plazas as well as a small but unique ball court. The site enjoys an isolated location in the jungle on the banks of the New River Lagoon, a river with numerous crocodiles.
    “Lamanai” means “submerged crocodile” although doubts have been expressed recently as to the accuracy of this translation. The less poetic “drowned insect” has been put forward as an alternative. Still, the large numbers of crocodile representations found in carvings and inscriptions suggest that, whatever the true meaning, the animal certainly had a very important role in the local mythology. http://mayanruins.info/belize/lamanai-belize/
    benedikt.m, MaNDan, george248 and 6 others like this.
  19. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Being of the more senior age group, I can remember on a Sunday Afternoon listening to the Wireless, "Forces Favourites" in the UK I always used to here requests for guys based in Beleze, doesnt look like too tough a posting from here.:-)
    michnus likes this.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Definitely not. They would tell everyone they had it brutal to keep all the awesomeness for themselves. They must have had a joll :D