1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Nailed it!
    michnus likes this.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am trying to catch up man! :lol3

For sure! It is wonderful to see how generally sociable the Latin Americans are. Towns comes alive after dark and the general mood is always festive. Gotta love these folke!
    Maybe we can learn a bit from them about being a nice society? :dunno:freaky
  3. Tenguy

Tenguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the reply and another great update. I love the photos of people just getting on with life, oh and the scenery of all kinds ;-)

The pleasure is all mine I can assure you, stay safe guys :1drink
    michnus likes this.
  4. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you keep a low profile, you shouldn't include your tyre :D

Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

forgorin and michnus like this.
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    QUOTE: yes, but they don't give a fuck about a pale male and his bitch driving up there.

Almost spit my coffee on computer screen this morning.....funny shit!! Thanks for update and pics!!
    SmilinJoe, michnus and ONandOFF like this.
  6. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    It's quite refreshing, eh? :beer

That's a tough question you pose, o Sage. :hmmmmm Bottom line, we can, but it's not going to happen.

Two kinds of reactions from gringos traveling in Latin America (not counting the ones confined inside resort gates and walls) are, one: the people are nothing short of amazing, OR two: the place is a dump.

Category two people are the ones who want to tell you what color you can paint your house, how often you have to mow, what you can't park on your driveway, etc, etc - they'd even have an approved wardrobe from only which you can dress (and maybe that's not far-fetched considering the way fashion nazis act). These guys would never learn. They're kind of in their own world anyway. And changing their own ways is about the last thing on their minds.

Category ones already had a mindset capable of embracing it. They're just outnumbered and out-influenced.

This is a place where people want to look successful. Including ones who don't want to work for it. It's been drilled into people's heads for years by so-called experts - look the part of the person you want to become. I can see how they came to that advice, there's certainly a psychological effect there. The unintended side-effect is that it leads to pretentiousness and a sort of dishonesty. And pretentiousness just doesn't fit in well with the lifestyle of the Latin American people based on humility and consideration for others.

So while we certainly are capable of learning, gringos as a whole adopting the Latin American lifestyle is unlikely. It would be met with the violent opposition of mediocre minds. And lest we forget, "The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." We heard that generations ago, and it's just as true today. (So much for learning...)

Anyone who has known Latinos who have moved to gringolandia has observed that over many years the metamorphosis has tended toward the "when in Rome..." mantra. And those who do strive to maintain a sliver of their background have been met with such aforementioned opposition in various forms, including being berated for being "too loud" "too ostentatious" etc etc. "Success" is just too rigidly associated with "coldness" to easily let it go.

For generations we've been bombarded with entertainment promoting being intolerant of our in-laws, disdain for our neighbors, and other such social ills as being normal and expected. Behaviours which in Latin America people would be shamed for. But that's how commoners here have come to think things should be. And when they see people of a different background having different attitudes, they react with opposition despite whether they may logically realize adopting some of their ways would lead to a happier society.

I'm not going to say there's no hope, but neither will I be holding my breath. Cheers mate!
  7. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Well put! OnandOff I live in a community with a HOA. Bastards!
    When we move I will never live in another community again. Life is too short to give a damn about keeping up with the Joneses. Maybe it's time to move south...WAY SOUTH!
    michnus and ONandOFF like this.
  8. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "As for the views!! Fucking Incredible!!" You said it Man, keep on trukin'!
    michnus likes this.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:thumb

Like the Colombians say, once you have been there you dont want to leave :D
    torch, 10ecjed, SOLOKLR and 1 other person like this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    @ONandOFF you have a very eloquent way with words. If only I paid more attention at school to our English teacher I could have tried and master up your vocabulary and expression skills. Some fine writing there sir! :D

What I love about the Central and South Americans so far is their casual way of life. There's rules, but much are suggestions. Like road rules. Drink and drive is not good, buuuuut, well if you have to just don't go kill people. Want to drink on the beach, well go ahead. Wanna do some naughty with your wimmen somewhere public....well that's also okay.

In the USA we were told, never ever argue or talk back to a cop or state trooper. Here as we have in Africa it is good to talk back, albeit in a respectful manner. And many times you and the cop walk away fake buddies smiling having a good chat. That said, some locals told us the cops are really hard on them.

In general I love the easy going way. Yes it grinds a 1st world gringos arse that some bureaucratic shit is not as quick and you HAVE to look after yourself but that is okay with me. For a Westerner like me the noise pollution here drives me insane, I guess that comes with the territory.

Honestly it is so rewarding to see how different races, nations, cultures and everyone else goes about their lives. :thumb
  11. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words sir but your vocabulary and writing skills are top-notch mate!

After talking with a cop in Guayaquil for a while, be handed me the keys to his police KLR and told me to take it for a spin!! And I did! :getiton
    forgorin, 10ecjed and michnus like this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    We rolled into the town of Jericó. a Catholic, conservative town, it got a kickstart in religious tourism after Sister Laura Montoya, a “Jericoana,” was declared a Saint-Colombia's first.

We booked a small apprantment on the outskirts of town and head to the square for some beers.

[​IMG]
    And with luck there were another festifal. I have no bloody idea for which Saint. But near every weekend is some kind of special day to celebrate something.

I am sure they just make excuses to party! I can get use to this :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The noise, hooting and chaos is ear shattering!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it is done: You ride into town with your rodeo horse that does that thing where the horse "dance" on the spot. Then move closer to the bar and the bar owner serve you beer while you sit on the horse outside the swing doors.

[​IMG]
  13. michnus

Oddometer:
    Hahaha that's how it is supposed to roll :D
    SmilinJoe and ONandOFF like this.
  14. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Hehe just "don't try this at home" as some advertisements would say. ;)

You found some awesome places to visit!!!

Looks like there may have been some anti-mining sentiment going on at the Jerico shindig.
    michnus likes this.
  15. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading many of these Central/South American RRs and viewing the stunning pics of scenery and people, I'm amazed that more gringo travelers don't find a cozy little town somewhere and get out of the U.S. rat race...never have understood what the frenetic pace was actually accomplishing...other than killing us more quickly...
  16. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think about doing that every damn day. You're not alone, twowings. Thankfully Michnus provides us working stiffs some escapist entertainment.
    forgorin, 10ecjed, SmilinJoe and 3 others like this.
  17. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Work and family. First, got to earn a living. Then upon retirement, it's next to impossible to leave the kids and grandkids behind. Oh for the life, but then it could certainly be a lot worse. And fortunately we're blessed with being able to visit!
    michnus likes this.
  18. junkyardroad

junkyardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to go back and look for the old dude! :D
    michnus and SOLOKLR like this.
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm That's a seemingly natural conclusion to jump to but instead rather opposite; it's actually the women's lib movement which put a stop to that. They claimed it was exploitation and anyone who continued was shamed. Lived through it. Most shops I frequented with those displays were quite conservative in the day. Funny world we live in...
  20. Noone

Noone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign