1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Michnus, love reading your stories and checking out the awesome photos.

I have been following you from the beginning and have watched you grow as both a writer and a photographer. Your English has improved dramatically! I teach English to non native speakers. I ALWAYS tell my students that the most important part of speaking is to be able to convey your thoughts and feelings. Grammar and 'the right word' be damned!

You are not just a traveler; you are an entertainer (and a pretty good one at that). Please keep on keeping us entertained!!!

P.S. When are you guys coming to Japan!?
    Bunyip1260 and dano619 like this.
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    the only way @michnus has improved in his writing skills is because he hired a "ghost writer" or has become skilled in the art of plagerism

trust me on this :ksteve

however.... his photography skills have definitely improved :gdog
    10ecjed, Grynch and forgorin like this.
  3. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Creo que se olvidó de su familia adv... :(
    Franque likes this.
  4. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D'accord, mon ami.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duuuuuuudes and duuunesses, sorry, sorry, sorry for the huge delay! :hide

So much have happened the last month, but it is all shit we had to fix back home in South Africa. We are still on leave in ZA till Sept to sort out shit with rental agents and tenants and so on and so forth.......
    But in all we are getting there, well there is no choice our tickets have been booked back to Peru at end Sept..

I really big time humbly apologise for not posting. I owe beers to you all :beer
    Tenguy, Geezerguy, elron and 7 others like this.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    We were on our way to Medellin to meet up with Metaljockey and family for a long awaited rendezvoux. It would be the 1st time in near year and half we see them again after leaving ZA with my mom's passing.
    There were loads of Club Colombia's with our names on them chilling in a fridge at a hotel waiting for us all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 11 others like this.
  7. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    "I really big time humbly apologise for not posting. I owe beers to you all :beer"

You can deliver mine the 3 week of December. :lol3
    michnus likes this.
  8. michnus

Oddometer:
    Medellin the city and party spot of Pablo Escobar was a nothing like we thought it would. Medellin is vibrant modern city with much of their old culture intact. There is a big portion of shanty towns on the outskirts of the the city though. In the middle running right through the city is a river and the main fast metro rail system. The city is captured in a long valley.

Colombians are hip people and like the Mexicans love their cities. There's super cool restaurants and museums and art work to see and it is possible to spend a month there and not get bored. But let me say this again. I am not a city person, in fact I hate the most of them with a vengeance.
    But travelling is about seeing everything not just the good stuff. And there are some cool conurbations in the world to explore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of open spaces for people to enjoy the summer temperatures. Food stalls are everywhere and you can hit the metro rail up and down the city to get to all the must see spots.
  9. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of the main arteries running the length of the city in the valley.
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 10 others like this.
  10. michnus

Oddometer:
    The dude abides :D:beer
    joenuclear likes this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

I'll have a "Powerful Inca" ie Sierra Andina Pachacutec Imperial Ale
    michnus likes this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180621_202425.jpg Yo Mich!!!!! Your still alive!!!

A few weeks ago, we went to a Folk punk band from the 80's called the "Violent Femmes". This was at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga. My hip is out so I am rockin' the cane, so ticketing gave us the ADA seats, they were second from the front row! ADA is the politcally correct term for crippled bastard! . Good show! IMG_20180621_203739.jpg IMG_20180621_204522.jpg
  13. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Skizz! Our friends might have passed, however, we must live on!!
    michnus likes this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    In their honor!!!
    michnus likes this.
  15. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    shit!!!!
    what an absolutely mind blowing thread,taken me three days and a coupla late nights to catch up.
    what I find amazing is how many people are so keen to just share a small part of their life with you and invite you guys in.
    this world is still full to the brim of damn good people and its far too easy to focus on the crap we see on the news and social media etc.
    how would you say the DR's compare to the F650's?
    in hindsight,would you have started out with them from the beginning?
    thank you for the effort in posting and keeping us all thoroughly entertained.
    p.s. I own your ATG overlander bags and have used them for the last 5 years and they have been brilliant!!
    looking forward to seeing more posts in this thread
    michnus likes this.
  16. michnus

Oddometer:
    Damn @Grynch man that must have been such an awesome experience!! We loved the one you and Edi took us to and we constantly tell people about that day.
    One day, one day, we will be back and rocking another one of those with you both. Man, smoke weed for that hip! The dude with the grey beard who eats so well told you, and you can get some good stuff from him! :lol3
    ONandOFF likes this.
  17. michnus

Oddometer:
    Absolutely man, everyday we see and experience it more and more, the media is the evil fucker in this world. They stoke fire where they can just to make a buck. Honestly and I am not a tinfoil hat type but what they sell and we have experienced so far are lightyears apart. The world we have experienced so far is not such a bad place and not such bad people. Except Canadians, stay away from them, dodgy AF pacifist nicey-nicey lot :lol3:beer
    I told many people the last year or so if you wanna see and experience what the world is like read travellers blogs. Most do not get paid to write, they write what they see and experience and if shit they will say so. Those nose in the air travel magazines never say anything bad as they would lose revenue from advertisers. Most of the motorcycle magazines I write for allow me to write the stories as is. For some reason most of the motorcycle mags are still levelheaded, honest and authentic about information.

The 650BMW is awesome bikes and I think in general use okay. But too heavy for what we do. Also the BMW is too expensive to maintain for such trips. You want something simple. I can replace the rear shock in the DR650 in 20min. The BMW it takes hours. My tool kit drop from 10kg for the BMW to 3kg for the Dr650's. No need for Torque and Alan keys such stuff. If BMW designed the damn Dakar simpler with the same engine they would have hit the right spot. The X-Challange was close. In hindsight I would never have started with the BMW's.

And going lighter on the DR650's is not because we do not have skills. We are skilled enough to ride any terrain. But there is just no fun in dragging a 250kg bike through sand tracks or mud. For back home the bigger bikes are good, but not for such long term stuff. Also the two Dr's will ship for the same price as one 1200GS and less than the Dakar's for sure.
    I see now again on this Ushaia - Alaska route the big bikes very rarely if ever go ride our routes. And the ones that broke was pocket raping bills. Like they say each to its own. I am not rich and must look after the money we spend while travelling so using a cheaper bike is key. But in all the light size is soooooo much more fun man!! It is a blast on those long forgotten dirt roads.

ATG is still going well. We sold to a cool local guy to enable us to travel for longer periods at a time. And especially since we started the Americas we could not just fly back home for any eventuality. I am really happy you like the bags and got such nice service from them. Remember there's a lifetime warranty on them :deal:thumb
    Mcahron, jaakmh, BNEK and 10 others like this.
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    "The 650BMW is awesome bikes and I think in general use okay. But too heavy for what we do. Also the BMW is too expensive to maintain for such trips. You want something simple. I can replace the rear shock in the DR650 in 20min. The BMW it takes hours. My tool kit drop from 10kg for the BMW to 3kg for the Dr650's. No need for Torque and Alan keys such stuff. If BMW designed the damn Dakar simpler with the same engine they would have hit the right spot."

Agree 100%! In 2009 I bought a 650BMW and my wife bought a DR650. I rode the BMW Pennsylvania to Prudhoe Bay and back and immediately wholesaled it just to get rid of it for just the reasons you say! 2014 I rode the DR 21,000 miles around the world and it still sits in the garage. Always will. I do at least 1 dual sport event on it every year too. Love Suzuki's! Used to race them off road.
    michnus and ONandOFF like this.
  19. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Morning Michnus & Elsebie,
    Best regards, the big GSV has grunted back into life, but the pensioner put his back out 3 weeks ago (combination of the big pig and hoisting my old Great Dane into the truck I think) but am slowly recovering.

I didn't make the 1000 Bike Show in Germiston this weekend, I didn't fancy a minor slip putting the recovery back a few weeks. :photog

Anyway, I hope you are getting some of the cold front sweeping through. :1drink
    michnus likes this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @goodcat for the introduction to this thread, I have some catching up to do :nod
    michnus, Team Vegas and goodcat like this.