Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Great find, the hot springs. The tarp is brilliant!
    michnus likes this.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We were on our way for a few weeks of bullshit talk about millennial backpackers, beer drinking and bbq's and enjoying the coffee region around Salento and Filandia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's so much landscape beauty in Colombia I think it might be a good thing to go live there for 2-3 years

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 16 others like this.
  3. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    Still living the Dream, dude & dudette.:super
    When I grow up I want to be a long distance
    Wanderer just like you two. I'm jelly.
    :beer:bubba:kumbaya:ricky:dukegirl.
    Live Free.....Go Wild.....Stay Crazy.
    michnus and dano619 like this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    The key is to NOT grow up.
    michnus likes this.
  5. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Piki - Piki. :clap
    michnus likes this.
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree with that! :thumb
    Duuuude! You will get there :super:freaky
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    This is Yvette, she and her partner Paul travelled South America on KLR and loved Colombia so much they bought property and opened an overlander stop over just outside the beautiful small town of Filandia. Filandia is smack bang in the middle of the coffee region. It's green hills, warm climate with colonial and Spanish building styles. Old churches, quaint little town squares and a simple way of life.

[​IMG]
    Yvette and her beaut of an old Nissan 4x4

An overlanders place is a stop to get away from travelling a bit and mix with people with the same interest. Good place to share info, tracks, roads, must see's and the lot with other overlanders. Some times it is just nice to spend time with likeminded people again. And mostly it is a fun bunch of people.
    You do get the obnoxious assholes, the ones who dare the most, the most hard core, the most this and the most that. Luckily people see through their shit so easy and they normally hit the road quick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yvette taking us and @kelvin_uk and Suzie to town, it's a bloody army noob ride! She takes no prisoners! :lol3

[​IMG]
    Evening are great fun as people sit and eat together and at times we all make pizzas or Yvette does dishes from around the world

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The resident cat also wants to plan some routes :D
    WANDRR, Mcahron, jaakmh and 21 others like this.
  8. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    jaakmh, Geezerguy, BLucare and 7 others like this.
  9. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read your Pikipikioverland link on the Willys Jeep. Great pictures and story! :clap My father was a Jeep mechanic, my mother drove a Jeep to work in the Pennsylvania mountains, and wifie and I have a current model JK in our garage.
    Also read "Why in de hell . . visit the . . United States." Professional type writing there too! Agreed, it's a great and a great big country. Sadly the Trump administration is tearing some of it down. National Parks land is being cut apart for mining and forest interests and "countries, races, nationalities and religions ARE (getting) in each others faces," especially races.
    I agree with someone's comment over there on Pikipikioverland. You must do Alaska and the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay. I've done it from here, Pennsylvania, by moto and with wifie in the Jeep. If short on time you can fly to Anchorage and rent bikes. I know you're not supposed to advertise here, so I won't mention Motoquest as a great place to rent, run by real Alaskan characters.
    Signed, Happy DR650 Rider. :ricky
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    The Wax palms are something special and something that has to be seen when in Colombia. Most tourist go do the common road in and out of Solento. it is still pretty though. But to see the Wax Palms properly you have to go the route locals use around the mountain and volcano.

[​IMG]
    This is Andres a local adventure bike aficionado in living in Perreira. One hellova cool guy! He was so kind to take us and Kelvin and Suzie on some back roads to their good riding spots. Andres runs a local Colombian adventure riding website https://www.facebook.com/a2ruedas/ https://a2ruedasco.wordpress.com/

The Quindío wax palm makes its home high in the mountains of the Andes, and unlike any other palms can reach incredible heights of 60 m (200 feet) or more. The ceroxylon quindiuense or wax palm is a species unique to Colombia's Cocora Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We rode the coolest tracks the entire day, and luck was on our side keeping the rain away.

[​IMG]
    That's an entire wax palm forest behind Andres.

[​IMG]
    Lunch stop at a farmer living next to a dormant volcano...

[​IMG]
    We were on our way to Tatacoa desert, on our way the scars of landslides, ugly scars on the backdrop a beautiful green landscape.

[​IMG]
    Fresh organic fruits, it is Gluten free:lol3
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 15 others like this.
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    On our way to Tatacoa desert the road meander from lush green through roads and old train tunnels before hitting the desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Tatacoa Desert is the second largest arid zone in Colombia after the Guajira Peninsula. It occupies 330 square kilometers of land. This semiarid region is located north of Huila Department, 38 km from the city of Neiva in Colombia and 15 km from Natagaima in Tolima.

[​IMG]
    The terrain is something like Bryce canyon in the USA, but in a very small scale.

[​IMG]
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 21 others like this.
  12. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Michnus, 5 Posts in one week. Your spoiling us. :D
    We are in Bolivia allready so you will never catch up.
    No beer together. :2cry
  13. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    great photo's as usual

Good you found the time to catch up on posting and maybe one day you'll be in the present tense :imaposer
    michnus likes this.
  14. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    When one lives in a glass house...
    michnus likes this.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome update!

those pics are incredible. thanks for the inspiration that one day could become a motivation.
    michnus likes this.
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Beautiful people ride Hondas :thumb

[​IMG]
    We met this awesome young couple and their friend who is doing motorcycles tours in Colombia on Honda XR300's And I think if ever you go ride there, de hell with BMW's and all that bling-bling must look like a Ewan and Charlie BS. These bikes are super to use, easy to go to out of the way places and ride groovy tracks. Juan and Camilo owns https://paramomt.com/

[​IMG]
    Nice cool afternoons in the desert town with locals sitting around drinking beers. This is part the reason why travelling slowly is such a treat. Suck lazily on a beer and enjoy the surroundings and people.

[​IMG]

Looking out over her kingdom :lol3
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 11 others like this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Trampolin del diablo
    The Trampoline of Death Road, Mocoa to Lago de la Cocha, Colombia

Let me say this from the go, we have ridden way worse on all levels death type roads in Colombia that would qualify as Death Roads than this one. But this was one of those must ride roads. It wasn't that technical but what makes it dangerous is the sudden landslides in summer and the rains. The narrow track and blind hairpin bends. There's nothing that you would maybe survive a head on crash with a truck or going over the edge with its deep as hell drp off's.

The Trampoline of Death road in Colombia is said to have taken hundreds of lives due to the dirt road’s dangerously narrow, winding, eroded, and often foggy conditions. It was built in the 1930s to transport troops through mountain terrain in Southern Colombia and it remains a narrow single track dirt road with blind corners and hairpin turns often rendered even more perilous by descending fog and periodic washouts.
    The road is 69.7km. It’s known as Trampolín del Diablo (Devil’s trampoline), Adiós mi vida (Bye bye my life) or Trampolín de la Muerte (Death’s trampoline).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking down over a landslide that was cleared a month or so before we got there.

[​IMG]
    Just the most wonderful thing you want to see on a GPS, ain't it? :thumb
  18. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ai befok ek kry sommer stingle stress. You will be so bored with life when this is over, but on the other hand this is not always easy. You can always go back home and start a successful farm....
    michnus likes this.
  19. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Some more of the Diablo Trampoline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is old forests, with the light rain coming down the place eerily quiet.
    benedikt.m, Mcahron, jaakmh and 8 others like this.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    :lol3 stingle stress

I know, that's why we will have to scam, beg and borrow money till we move over to #vanlife when the knee joint turns to jelly. :lol3
    jaakmh, shuswap1 and poppawheelie like this.