Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    :lol3 stingle stress

I know, that's why we will have to scam, beg and borrow money till we move over to #vanlife when the knee joint turns to jelly. :lol3
    jaakmh, shuswap1 and poppawheelie like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    you got the trampoline in good weather by the looks of it, we had torrential rain the whole day and fog you could only see a few meters at best, heaviest rain in all of Colombia for us, all we kept saying, "wonder what the view is like...on a clear day" - so thx, now I know!
    MrKiwi and michnus like this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Damn man that's a pity you had such a shitty ride there!

The views were mindblowing stuff. We had no rain in the morning, then hard rain, then drizzle at the top and it stop a few miles afterwards. All along the clouds and mist covered the mountains at some stage and then sometimes gave us some super nice open views. In all it was a good day. :)
  4. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Van Life." We've already started. The last time we did Prudhoe Bay, it was in the Jeep, and I may use that to do the Tuk Road next year.
    But damn, man! You're making me want to do Colombia! That would have to be on moto. I've ridden Equador, but you're really making Colombia look good.
    Must :ricky Do :ricky Colombia :ricky.
    michnus likes this.
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="poppawheelie”]
    You're making me want to do Columbia!
    Must :ricky Do :ricky Columbia :ricky.[/QUOTE]

Once you finally “do” Colombia you won’t ever get it wrong again :deal
    Pure moto heaven, O so perfect.
    michnus and 10ecjed like this.
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you finally “do” Colombia you won’t ever get it wrong again :deal
    Pure moto heaven, O so perfect.[/QUOTE]
    Corrected.
    michnus and elron like this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Make it happen! :thumb

The USA I think we will go back one day and do a vanlife thing. South America is a place given to bikers by the biking gods. :beer
    ScotsFire, poppawheelie and goodcat like this.
  8. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Our 6 months in Colombia came to and end. We were sad to leave a country as beautiful as Colombia, with such kind hearted cool as fuck people.
    Basically to summarise, Colombia is no more dangerous than to travel than the USA or Eu.
    They were voted the happiest nation in the world a few years ago.
    They are on the top list of adventure bike riding heaven countries.
    Basically every country we ask ourselves can we live there and Colombia is a resounding yes.

If at all possible an even just a two week holiday with the wife on a scooter, consider Colombia as a trip. :super:thumb

Our last stop was at Las Lajas sanctuary before hitting Ecuador.

[​IMG]

" The present church was built in Gothic Revival style between 1916 and 1949. The name Laja (slab) comes from the name of a type of flat sedimentary rock similar to shale and slate.
    The inspiration for the church's creation was a purported miraculous event in 1754, when Amerindian Maria Meneses de Quiñones and her deaf-mute daughter Rosa were caught in a very strong storm. The two sought refuge between the gigantic Lajas, when, to Mueces's surprise, her daughter Rosa exclaimed "the Mestiza is calling me" and pointed to the lightning-illuminated silhouette over the laja. This apparition of the Virgin Mary instigated popular pilgrimage to the site and occasional reports of cases of miraculous healing. The image on the stone is still visible today.

[​IMG]

The existence of a shrine in this location was recorded in the accounts of friar Juan de Santa Gertrudis's journey through the southern region of the New Kingdom of Granada between 1756 and 1764. The first shrine was built here in the middle of 18th century from straw and wood. It was replaced with a new, larger shrine in 1802, which in turn was extended and connected to the opposite side of canyon with a bridge.

The current church was built between January 1, 1916, and August 20, 1949, with donations from local churchgoers. It rises 100 metres (330 ft) high from the bottom of the canyon and is connected to the opposite side of the canyon by a 50 metres (160 ft) tall bridge.
    [​IMG]
    People queing to get holy water.

Dedication
    The Shrine of Our Lady of Las Lajas is a Roman Catholic basilica church dedicated to the veneration of Our Lady of Las Lajas Ipiales. It is located in southern Colombia and has been a tourism and pilgrimage destination since the eighteenth century. The Spanish Franciscan Juan de Santa Gertrudis (1724–1799) mentions the sanctuary in Book III, Part 2, of his four-volume chronicle of his 1756–62 journey in the south portion of the Kingdom of New Granada (titled "Wonders of Nature"). This is possibly the oldest reference to its existence."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Candle wax and fire don't mix. The entire thing went up in flames.

[​IMG]
    This dude decided water was a good medium to kill the fire. :lol3

[​IMG]
    Pity the elders decided to decorate the sanctuary in a mix of hideous lights at night.
  9. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Definitely THE BEST photo's I have seen of this crossing
    michnus, BLucare and elron like this.
  10. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second that. It seems to be what you get when you take your time to BE there (wherever) as you folks do as opposed to passing by or thru and catching a snapshot.
    michnus likes this.
  11. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Michnus, I saw Da Peeg this morning at the Classic Motorcycle Club morning, terrible place, not sure what time the bar opens, but its never been closed when I have got there, he said you sent regards. Next time let us know, Ronnie raced the "Mountain Madalas" this weekend in Lesotho (it snowed there this week), he managed two 9km loops so got a Silver. :photog

I was up on the Botswana border this week, on my way back bought some meat :D a striped horse (Zebra) full fillet 1.4kg for under $15 and a Kudu loin :photog
    michnus likes this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does the Zebra taste in a taco?:D
    michnus and ScotsFire like this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks dude :)
    I really try, it's not like we are going back to places and I have one chance to get photos that won't look like holiday shit :D
    Thanks Elron :)

Yeah man, we had such a blast with him at Pauli's place! Last time I had striped horse was at the rugby world champions in 94 :D Kudu, and Eland and all other venison biltong we overate ourselves into a stupor when we got back home now :lol3

hahaha now that is a cultural expropriation thing we can try :photog
    10ecjed, Grynch and elron like this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Ecuador

We hit the Colombian/ Ecuador border the morning and with some luck, we did the crossing in two hours. A few weeks later the place was inundated with Venezuelans trying to get into Colombia and it took overlanders an entire day to get through.
    [​IMG]

Right into Ecuador, we hit a bit of asphalt and then turn left onto a dirt road that was half not showed onto any maps. We just did not want to go ride the same shit every other overlander does when getting into Ecuador. Only later we heard most do not ride this route as it is a Colombia, Ecuador drug border thing.

[​IMG]
    Landslides are part of life in the backcountry in South America. Taking this backroad was one of the best decisions. The mountains and landscapes were numbing the faculties it was just that incredible to experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We have never seen so many waterfalls. They were just everywhere as far as we rode. It was still at some 3000m altitude.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We got onto this small village where they practiced the voodoo thing of levetation. Elsebie was quick to pick up on this funny sorcery shit. But Kelvin was like a brick, that fucker just can't levitate :photog
  15. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Our route planning was to get into the Amazon as far as we could. The oil industry and boom allowed for some good roads once we hit the interior. But just so far, then it is dirt again. We went from piss cold mountains to brain boil hot humid Amazon.
    [​IMG]
    We got into a small village called Limoncocha it is part of a national biological reserve. Sleeping is in wooden rooms suspended up on wooden poles.

[​IMG]
    Parking is another story :D

[​IMG]
    5 Star shit!! :pimp:jkam

[​IMG]
    Life is so much less complicated in small villages in the outback. Kids do what kids do and tablets and wifi is something only city slickers occupy their time with.

[​IMG]
    Lunch at the only shop in town. Crackers and beer :dukegirl
  16. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    At least there’s beer. Saving grace of many a small village.
    michnus likes this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Sunset over the Amazon after it rained.

[​IMG]
    There are some weird-ass animals in the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And Pihranas for dinner :D

We went to a sanctuary for wild animals that can't be released into the wild again. It is great to see they are cared for, but also sad to see them in captivity.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ecuadorians seem to understand that nature, tourism and wildlife is the future and more sustainable than digging stuff out of the ground and fucking up their country.
  18. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    MOST BEAUTIFUL ONCE AGAIN !!!! :clap

Now.... if you are interested in ruins and ancient culture of S America, I just posted a blip on @XR Valdeez thread. page 52
    You know you need more educating :imaposer
    michnus likes this.
  19. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michnus

1. Awesome trip report. You guys are really living the life.
    2. You talked about biltong. You are correct it is excellent stuff.
    3. My I respectfully say, your wife has a beautiful smile. You are blessed to have someone that likes to travel like you do. I am also blessed. When I look at our travel pictures my wife always has on a big smile. My wife would rather go on a motorcycle trip than have gifts of diamonds and gold.
    MrKiwi, ScotsFire and michnus like this.
  20. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Not sure I’d eat fish from a guy wearing an Inter Milan jersey.

Just sayin.
    michnus likes this.