Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I wondered where you were, I thought maybe you had taken a gap and were in RSA for xmas :photog
    michnus and Essbee like this.
  2. Flying D

Flying D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello from Canada. Just found your ride and am completely locked in. Hope my boss doesn't catch me lol. You are the most adventurous couple I've ever come across. Your pictures and descriptions are utterly amazing. Wish you both the best in your continuing travels:photog
    michnus likes this.
  3. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    :ear
    michnus likes this.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Flipped boys and girls, sorry for the lack of post. It was one hellova busy December and start to January. We are in Chile and had friends from South Africa over. And they had no time to waste so we were hauling ass doing stuff daily. :D

Nope, sorry Welsh, there are nude beaches here in Chile where they don't slaughter sheep to prove a point to the ancestors. Only problem was nobody was on the nude beaches except us :lol3

Thanks so much @Flying-D :thumb:beer
    MrKiwi likes this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    If you are a person that does not follow the herds to resorts and typical overrun tourist hot spots then the Ecuador coast is your place. It is still laid back and a bit rustic. It's the place for cheaper beer and good food. Cheviche and massive crabs are on offer at most restaurants. The water is warm and you can rent a hostel room for a relatively cheap price.

[​IMG]
    Ecuador wildlife is now looking after a bit better and they came to realise killing anything in sight ain't good for anyone.

[​IMG]
    Sunset is an event every evening and we celebrate every day as a good one on the beach with some beers. There are miles of open beach space and it is possible to wild camp on some parts of it.

[​IMG]
    One of the very few selfie's we have ever taken but it had to be done :lol3

[​IMG]
    Crossing the equator I was just a few steps short of all zero's. We added our sticker to the roadsign and moved on. The world was spinning too fast at that point.

[​IMG]
    We just did not have enough space to load that crab, otherwise, it would have been dinner.

[​IMG]
    Late afternoons women, dogs, kids, and everyone not working is on the beach doing something, relaxing drinking cocktails.

[​IMG]
    Long exposure luminescence in the sea water. it's a weird bloody place :lol3
    yokesman, 10ecjed, jaakmh and 27 others like this.
  6. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I have to be honest Mich, the idea of you on a nudist beach is pretty stomach churning, only Kilroy would be worse. :jkam Who was across, BIL?
    michnus, elron and MrKiwi like this.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I have the bod off Brat Pitt man, the ladies love it :lol3
    10ecjed, Pplater and Bunyip1260 like this.
  8. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    All along the coast in the small towns where they fish you can buy some bloody good fish dishes till about 10-11am as the fisherman boats return. The women clean and the fish and some make dishes from the fresh fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We just could not afford to go to Galapagos. The place now is reserved for the wealthy. Even local Ecuadorians who receive discounts it is too expensive for most of them to go visit.
    More South are a small island called, Isla de la Playa, many of the animals also call that home. The trip there is called Poorman's Galapagos. It is a one day trip. But for the money worth the visit.
    Isla de la Plata is a small island off Ecuador's central coast, near the town of Puerto López. Part of Machalilla National Park, the uninhabited island features beaches, headlands and shrubland. It's known for its many marine birds, like blue-footed and masked boobies, plus Galapagos albatrosses. Trails run from Drake Bay to sheer clifftops overlooking waters that attract manta rays and migratory humpback whales.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blue-footed Boobies.
  10. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    More great stuff from you saffa's.
    Keep it coming
    michnus likes this.
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love Boobies, Blue Footed or not.
    mbanzi, michnus and ScotsFire like this.
  12. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I was waiting for SOMEONE to make a comment like this. For once it wasn't me.
    ricochetrider and michnus like this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Who does not like Boobies? :lol3:photog
    10ecjed, jaakmh, mbanzi and 3 others like this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Now the thing with having time to go slow is when you hit a cool spot you can stay for a day or a month or a year. Okay a year is pushing it but generally a week or so suffice. Just as you get really settled in it is best to get kitted and hit the road. Otherwise, the rut you get into will be bloody difficult to get out off.
    Ayampe is one such a groovy little coastal village. It was a lazy quiet little fisherman's village and still is. But the surfers found it and then the Yoga hippies found it and with that came a bit of growth. Growth in the meaning of a few hostels and a yoga retreat cum bakery with good food. But it is still as lazy and laidback as it was, just the surfers liven the place up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    We fell on the place during a stop for some beer early afternoon as the sun was beating us mercilessly. While sitting sipping on beer an American surfer dude with came pass and we start chatting. He got there a few years earlier and decided to stay. Converting an old wooden shack into a cool looking crib.
    His wife is an Ecuadorian lawyer and very easy on the eye. They invited us to stay a few days at their place and offer a bit of discount seeing we are overlanders. Which we gratefully accepted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Open air kitchen overlooking the ocean. No vegan here, all fish dishes and meat. Every morning at daybreak local fisherman will come pass selling fresh fish and prawns. Later the morning the fresh veggies and fruit merchants pitch up with their beaten up pick-up trucks to sell their stuff. Groovy to have convenient shops deliver fresh at home :lol3

[​IMG]
    Afternoons kids play soccer on the beach and generally just get up to mischief.

[​IMG]

Sunset is spectacular events with most of the village hanging out on the beach with something to drink saying goodbye to a good day.

[​IMG]
    BLucare, yokesman, 10ecjed and 32 others like this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Some of us prefer smaller, more pert boobies.
  16. jaakmh

jaakmh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yet again the master travellers do not disappoint..... boobies an all!!
    Breathtaking pictures!
    ricochetrider likes this.
  17. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
  18. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhh...They're sleeping in.
    poppawheelie and ricochetrider like this.
  19. rrtips

rrtips LifeUnloadedRTW.com

Oddometer:
  20. 10ecjed

10ecjed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy your updates. Thank you once again