Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Keep riding Michnus, I had 6 months off riding last year and a desk job, took the R1150GS out with the guys this morning, did about 150 miles at least 60% off tar, in 100F heat I struggled so out of condition.
    michnus likes this.
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Morning Michnus, Dr Alban “hello Africa” is playing Midrand next month
    btrrtlwtr likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    So sorry for not posting the last month. We are in Patagonia camping a lot and limited wifi. And to add injury to it my laptop screen is now fucked. So seems like a flight to Santiago Chile in a weeks time or so.
    :type:fpalm
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you. Be safe.
    alexf800gs, Franque and michnus like this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe:beer
    joenuclear likes this.
  6. Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found your blog recently and only on page 39 but had to jump forward and ask....do you listen to Frank Zappa, in particular his anthem “Titties and Beer”?
    Wife and i did the Ushuaia run last year, the wild camping down there was amazing....now we r living vicariously thru you
    michnus likes this.
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Wondered where you were watch out in Patagonia, they speak Welsh up in those hills.
    michnus likes this.
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your posts about Patagonia.
    michnus likes this.
  9. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I share your passion man for Frank Zappa, know that song well :super

Hope you enjoy my BS writing, I am skilled in talking shit :D

Have you posted on your Ushuaia trip, I would love to read it?

I heard so, haven't met people myself that speak Welsh, but many German-speaking people :)

I have to get cracking, bloody so far behind :D
    joenuclear likes this.
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Sober up for a day or two and catch up Mick.
    Your fans await!

:choppa
    Franque and michnus like this.
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I promise! We had good wifi for the last 4 days and fuck as things go my laptop broke. Luckily Chile Apple fixed it for free for me! But now that I have it back we have to move to get to Bolivia so hope in the next few days when we sit for a day or so I can catch up again. Could only tug on some wheat smoothies :beer
    joenuclear, Geezerguy and BLucare like this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Wondered where you were, there have been a few kidnappings, but I realized that is unlikely as they would have to feed you.
    michnus, Grynch, Franque and 2 others like this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wheat smoothies can prove quite costly!
    michnus likes this.
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    "Do you hear?
    blow it out your ass, motorcycle man! i mean, i am the devil,
    Do you understand? just what will you give me
    For your
    Titties and beer?" :photog
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    That's how we roll :lol3:beer:super
    roadcapDen likes this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    In Chile the weath smoothies are on the expensive side, but in the rest of the places it is poor mans food like it is suppose to be :D
  18. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    And they will run out of beer
  19. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We left the coast to go hop on a train that was built ages ago to help the locals with their produce - Devil's Nose. "The biggest complication faced by the construction of the Trans-Andean railroad was the Devil’s Nose, a mountain with almost perpendicular walls. To overcome this obstacle a zigzag railroad was bulit that climbs more than 500 meters in less than 12,5 km with steep ascents and descents. It today remains an impressive piece of engineering." It varies from 2,340 to 1,400 meters above sea level.

[​IMG]
    We searched for a nice little track to the town of Alausi instead of a boring tar road. And instead of a quick 4-hour ride, it took us the entire day and got to the town the night at 7pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    it is a colorful little town with rural people having this laid back existence.

[​IMG]

The old dudes talk their talk about the good old days and eager to chat about this car that has seen the best part of half a million miles. People are open to having a chat and casually going on with their day job. The train in the town brings in a decent amount of revenue but the town is not reliant on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The old and the new. The Ecuadorians are very proud of their heritage and culture and stick religiously to that. But the new generation is changing that with Western influence.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I am a big fan of old trains, well any train and as a kid could still ride on the sleep trains from Johannesburg to Cape town. These days such stuff is not as possible and the ones that are possible cost a fortune and a kidney.

But this was about the engineering and scenery and not a bloody impressive engineering feat.
    The Devil’s Nose train ride takes you from the town of Alausi on a forty-five minute ride down to Silambe – a journey through gorgeous mountain scenery in which time the train descends nearly a vertical kilometer in height. Not bad given it was built at the turn of the 20th century.

[​IMG]

Back in the day, when health and safety was something other countries did, the Devil’s Nose train ride was a steam-powered. The passengers was allowed to sit on the roof of the train’s carriages. They say that was the fun thing to do. It was also somewhat dangerous, what with those huge cliffs on the side of the track. Inevitably, a number of fatalities resulted, and today’s journey is confined to the interior of the train.

[​IMG]

It’s not all bad news though. The carriages are brand new and very comfortable. And the windows, thankfully, can be opened, meaning that if you’re taking photos you don’t need to deal with nasty reflections. Plus you can get those lovely views of the train curving ahead of and behind you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The actual descent of the Devil’s Nose is incredible, as the train has to switchback on itself twice in order to get down the, once thought impassable, hillside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the tracks in the back ground.

[​IMG]