Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! Keep em comin when you can!!
    michnus and MikeyT like this.
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Howzit Michnus, I was wondering where you were, looking good, seeing that food I trust you are not wasting away. Ronnie the round Shark rode the Roof qualifier two weeks ago and qualified for the Roof. :photog
    michnus likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We are definitely not dying of hunger here. Cold and rain, but not hunger :D

He is old as fuck!? And I thought he stopped riding. Good to hear he is still on a bike. What class is he riding?
  4. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Howzit, heading into a dry cold winter here, Ronnie is looking at Bronze. :clap
    michnus likes this.
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Riding Peru hit you in the face like an ice cold cloth on an early winters morning. You can either do the typical thing and stick to the PaaaanAam on your big pimped out Adv bike. Or hit the mountains and get thrills and fun from the moment you enter Peru.

Our Christmas spent with good friends and a new overland couple from Poland we met on the way. Turned out to be one hellova Christmas especially that all of us were alone and not with family. While sitting drinking we figured out the Dakar was not far away and would start in Lima, Peru's capital. That's a 1300km run in a week so we had to get going.

[​IMG]
    Our first introduction to Peru was a bit of tar, man, was that fun :D

[​IMG]
    Suzie and Kelvin, surely the two coolest Pommies we have ever had the honour to be friends with. Also batshit crazy :lol3
    https://www.avvida.co.uk/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Liwia and Joki the Polish couple who tripped two up through the Americas. https://www.facebook.com/lifewelove
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Damn that's kiff! Where to follow him?

Argentina now and it is also getting piss cold. Wanted to head into Bolivia but will rather go spent time on the beach in Uruguay or Brazil till Aug/Spet.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Okay, to come back to riding Peru. Drivers are silly and the roads are dangerous. Point, full stop. Here in lies the fun :thumb

From all the roads in Europe, we have ridden I can confidently say Peru is way more exciting and gritty to ride. Nothing sanitized about it. You have to focus and pay.fucking.attention. Hairpin bends aren't the same as the nicey, nicey ones in the Eu. Every turn and bend is different with different poison coming at you.

Riding is slow, although you can see the other side it takes 30-50km's to get there. And trying to average 50-80km/h is difficult. 200-300km days takes 8 hours with a few stops and photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. kelvin_uk

kelvin_uk n00b

Oddometer:
    Yer man, some fun times and cool riding ✊
    Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida likes this.
  9. Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida

Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of drinks with great friends..
    michnus likes this.
  10. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We had to make head way towards the coast and hit the PaaanAam to make up time as riding in the mountains just took up too much time. I just hit a point on the coast and the GPS routed and we got going. As we kept going I told Elsebie over the intercom somethings going to happen as we had to drop from 4000m Altitude to sea level and we were 100km away. And we are on dirt, so maybe this route is going to turn a bit nasty.

Late the afternoon we went through a cutting in the mountain and this was the view greeting us. 3500m altitude, in the distance, is the sea straight line about 50km away. The road starts at the right and snakes all the way down to sea level bottom left-hand corner.

[​IMG]
    From up here it looked like a quick walk in the park, yeeeeh riiiiight:lol3

Some places had rock slides and we had to work the bikes on the inside to avoid going over the edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It ain't stopping. This was halfway down.[​IMG]
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    It is theeeee best :beer:super
    Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida likes this.
  12. Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida

Suzie&Kelvin/AvVida Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We love Wales
    michnus likes this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Only travelled Wales for a week but loved it. Welsh is only sticking to ZA for the biltong and food. :lol3:dukegirl
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    The magnitude of the scenery and landscape in Peru is bewildering at times. The size of the mountains, canyons, rivers, everything is supersize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dubbed “The Everest of the Desert,” Cerro Blanco, located nine miles east of Nazca in the Nazca Valley, is considered one of the world's tallest sand dunes. At 2,080 meters above sea level, it is said to be the highest in the world.
  15. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Everything's bigger in Texas. And Peru, apparently :thumb Looks brilliant!
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    The one thing Texas has over Peru is also the one I really like. Even if it makes me looks like a redneck, I don't care :lol3:super

[​IMG]
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you guys are interested in photos of the Dakar. it was a lifelong dream to at least witness the spectacle. It was also the last year it was held in the 3 South American countries. Now it is moving to Saudi, well, fuck! What we got told by people there is that the owners of the Dakar rally demand ridiculous amounts of money from the countries and some said no way Jose. Also, Argentina had an issue with the terrain they damage. Well, that's what we heard.

We followed the Dakar for 4 days and then hit inland to see more of Peru.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Camping on the beach always a good idea.

[​IMG]
    And then some sightseeing before heading off inland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hit it up from sea level to 4000m in 150km odd. We slept at the Vicunas national park. As we were alone the rangers said we could sleep for free. It was raining and bloody cold. Luckily across the road, a lady owning a small shop was able to feed us. She also stocks Pisco liqueur which went down well in the cold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Trout is a big dish in Peru and we had loads of the little fishies to eat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No TV, no wifi, what's a man to do? Drink, be merry and plan world domination, only if it starts in Peru. :lol3
    Pro tip: Btw, it is a bad idea to hit 4000m altitude and consume alcohol :deal:lol3
  18. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pro tip: Btw, it is a bad idea to hit 4000m altitude and consume alcohol :deal:lol3

I've heard that said before :augie
    michnus likes this.
  19. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    We had to confirm and test the rumor. :freaky
    SOLOKLR, MrKiwi and joenuclear like this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    with substantive evidence to say it was all true :lol3.