Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    michnus likes this.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    :wave
    michnus likes this.
  3. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    That week was long saddle days. We stayed in the mountains and it was slow going. Twist and turns, one after the other, after the other, neverending. We were rewarded with insanely beautiful, groovy scenery and views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Those roads in the distance on the side of the mountain, that's them, all day long :D

[​IMG]
    Decent to the village below and then climb out the other side. The place is breathtakingly beautiful but you get it to see it in slow-mo all day long :D

[​IMG]
    It is just unfuckingbelievable! In the middle of nowhere is a village hanging on for dear life on the edge of the Andes. Day time people farm on their pieces of plots and at houses are in the village. But if you get sick, or toothache it is an 8-hour drive to the next place. Hardfuckingcore! You sometimes have to see this up front to understand how good you have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not much else to do in these small forgotten villages.

[​IMG]
    They can use smoke signals to communicate with the other villages. But to get there? At least 3-4 hours drive.
    [​IMG]
    Stunning sunsets from the "hostel"we stayed for the night. Basically just a room, we used our multi-fuel stove too cook and we could kill our own meat... :D
  4. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great update....Thanks for taking the time to post!
    chinditone and michnus like this.
  5. Gambito

Gambito Ecuador Bike Rental by Sleipner

Oddometer:
    Duuuude! Howzit!!? Thanks for sharing this. It was such a pleasure to meet you guys. Let’s continue kepping in touch
    poppawheelie and michnus like this.
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah man same here! And for the kindness sharing your know how of Ecuador. We will stay in touch we would love to go back to Ecuador again. :beer
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    :choppaWhat kind of "smoke" signals? Very Groovy Man!!!
    michnus and elron like this.
  8. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    " Let me say this upfront. Ecuador is a small powerpack hard-hitting destination. You can go from the Amazon, riding the Andes to the sea, sipping a beer on a beach eating Ceviche in one day. For people with only two weeks, this is the adventure place to go trip. The people of Ecuador are friendly and since their currency is the US Dolla the pricing quite competitive. It is a relatively easy country to travel and loads of places to stay that is not priced for bloody tourist."

+1.
    Great paint job on the helmet. :D
    Grynch, klaviator, michnus and 2 others like this.
  9. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Morning Michnus and the lovely Elsebie,

I just thought I would drop you a line from a dry and dusty Johannesburg, we are heading towards mid Winter, but we are still in the positive overnight and 20C in the day, but dry as usual this time of year. I had the GSV out yesterday up to Beestkraal Stasie and a few Zamalek's a most enjoyable run.

But anyway, that was not the point, I thought I would wish you happy Anniversary, 8 years and almost a hundred pages since you started this thread, how time flies.

Thanks for all the great pictures and stories over the years, enjoy it while you can. :photog
    klaviator, BLucare, michnus and 2 others like this.
  10. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Hola, buenas noches amigo. The same from Argentina. It is about the same weather and temps as JHB but we are in the north of Argentina and the day time temps are still quite nice. About Zamalek, the beers in Argentina come in 1L size and price is Goldy locks,... just right, and very fine quality.

Who did you ride with?

Damn! I did not realize this thread has been going that long. The other thing about this thread is that it is actually a better-documented account than the stories we posted our website. :lol3

Hopefully, our BS can keep the few following this entertained for a while longer :lol3:beer
    Grynch, klaviator, benedikt.m and 6 others like this.
  11. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming.....love it!!
    michnus likes this.
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Yep, keep the BS flowing, it helps when I am stuck in my cage at the office, I rode the canals Solo, Ron's wife was in the USA and he is usually on the 300 anyway practicing for the roof. :photog
    elron and michnus like this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I am convinced Peru must be proportionally be spending the biggest portion of tax income of most nations in the world. They have to carve out roads and then maintain the lot after every year's landslides. To cover a straight 30km from point to point you sometimes have to cover 80km-90km due to mountains.
    It is also very dangerous roads with no barriers and 400m-500m drops. And to add to the spice the locals are hooligan drivers.

[​IMG]

We were heading for the Amazon part of Peru and it was the rainy season. It made normally dangerous roads even worse. Standing there taking the photo rocks were constantly crashed down the hill. It is ripping your heart to a stop, with bewilderment quickly looks back to see if one is not heading for me.

At least the constant rain was welcomed as the heat and humidity in this part of the Amazon feels suffocatingly thick.

[​IMG]
    To give some perspective, that is a close to 400m drop straight down to the river.

[​IMG]
    Part of the road behind Elsebie here disappeared in a landslide, they just fixed it sort off and people have to use it as it connects small villages in the Amazon.

[​IMG]
    Elsebie was not happy when I asked her to come to stand on the edge if this near vertical drop. It is amazing how people adapt to living in such demanding regions of the world.

[​IMG]
    The land demands offerings from the people. Everywhere there are shrines, reminders of locals that succumb to the conditions mother nature dish out.
    You can see the road disappearing in the background.

[​IMG]
    Having late morning tea at a roadside eatery chatting to an old auntie.

[​IMG]
    bungen, Grynch, klaviator and 19 others like this.
  14. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your BS flows just fine here.
    BLucare and michnus like this.
  15. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Then I am happy, that's all I want to hear. :lol3:beer
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a ride. Again - nasty helmet! Amazing pictures.
    michnus likes this.
  17. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

And apologies, I forgot to mention the lid. It was painted by a very talented Haylee Fieldes an Aussie gal that specializes in murals, surfboards, and such groovy stuff. Sometimes some good can come from sitting at overlanders places with too much time and beer. She and Elsebie decided on a rough idea and then Haylee did the entire design and did all the painting.
    http://www.fieldey.com

[​IMG]
    bungen, NSFW, Grynch and 9 others like this.
  18. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    When does the Elsebie signature model go on sale!?
    :1drink:photog:jack
    ScotsFire likes this.