Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some locals told us about a place with the most beautiful waterfalls. Not many people go there, even locals. Whatever reason no one knows., but they said it is worth seeing and to make the detour. We head off early morning as it looks like a long day ride with all the twisties and dirt. Also, it has been raining for a few days and we did not know what the road would be like.

[​IMG]
    You have not done your day's ride if you haven't crossed the 4600m+ altitude crossing for the day. Luckily no rain and we could make good time.

[​IMG]

Just love riding at that altitude, the air is crispy fresh with not much haziness and dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop often to take photos and just take in the view. The contrast and landscapes are mind-bendingly beautiful. It takes some time to let it sink in.
    [​IMG]
    You can see where Elsebie is riding?

[​IMG]
    This piece some generations ago had to cut it out to be able to horse goods between the sea and from the mountains. With the rains, the water rushing through the canyon was deafening.

[​IMG]
  2. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible!!
    michnus likes this.
  3. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triple like !!! Especially those last two pictures.
    michnus likes this.
  4. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Playin it casual... Mr Kewl... but what a fantastic few photos.
    michnus likes this.
  5. michnus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    On the way to the little village, we will be staying the road meandered next to this river with water run down from the snow capped mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is a beautiful canyon with the road coming in on the bottom right and disappearing on the top left corner. Nonstop dirt track with the most amazing views.
    Saso, Foiler, flying.moto and 11 others like this.
  6. michnus

Oddometer:
    This is what we came to see. 17km long canyon with cascades along the entire route. We stayed a few days and did some outrides into the area.

[​IMG]

When people talk about Peru, it is always, ooooh we want to see Machu Pichu, have you been there? Fuck, people are besotted about Machu Pichu, but Peru is so much more than MP. Yes MP is something to marvel about. But here lies something that very few tourists come to see and even fewer overlanders that is in my humble opinion as good if not nicer than MP.

[​IMG]

These were just walking distance out of town.

[​IMG]
    dustyrider, klaviator, Saso and 21 others like this.
  7. michnus

Oddometer:
    The entire 17km is littered with these small waterfalls. I can only imagine what it looks like in the rainy season.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Asking locals for some road advice. Hit ratio from getting what we are looking for generally it ain't good. :D

[​IMG]

Any day riding stuff like this I consider a bloody great day well spend.

[​IMG]
    Making some coffee with river water... and then wait for it cool down to enjoy some whiskey to end off another kickass day :thumb
  8. elron

Oddometer:
    Don't take this wrong way... (or do)...."I love you guys".
    michnus likes this.
  9. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    That was one of our favourite spots when we came through. Outstanding.
    one of
    Foiler, michnus and joenuclear like this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ I Love you also!! :)
    michnus likes this.
  11. lojo

lojo Still Riding

Oddometer:
    It's taken me 2 weeks to get this far, truly an epic ride & story. Thank you & keep it up!
    michnus likes this.
  12. michnus

Oddometer:
    Hahaha thanks, I don't generally roll that way, but as they say, don't dish something you haven't tried :lol3:bmwrider

Wish we could have stayed there a bit longer, but it cold and we had to leave before some snow. :)

:thumb:beer
    Grynch likes this.
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    marvelous. great find.

thanks for the updates.
    michnus likes this.
  14. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Michnus, get your ass into gear, two lines in the best part of a month is unacceptable. :photog:photog
    michnus likes this.
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    I'd ask him to sober up occasionally to report but I think about Elsie having to put up with Michnus sober and don't have the heart....

:photog
  16. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said !
    michnus and joenuclear like this.
  17. elron

Oddometer:
    "Hahaha thanks, I don't generally roll that way, but as they say, don't dish something you haven't tried."

I was gonna respond with well you gotta be open ended about it. ... but then I re-read that and though oh oh, :hmmmmm :doh

Alas .. just know how much I enjoy both of you , your travels, posts, and photos.
    michnus likes this.
  18. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Simply breathtaking scenery, great photography too, really does put one in the picture and you can almost smell the dirt, feel the wind and throb of a thumper underneath you.
    Such an epic RR.
    Keep it going Saffa!
    michnus and poppawheelie like this.
  19. michnus

Oddometer:
    Sorry, sorry, sorry..... fuck:lol3:freaky

Yaaah, yaah I know :D

:lol3

Thanks so much, yes trying hard to pack in as much as possible.
    reed valve likes this.
  20. michnus

Oddometer:
    Sitting on Sao Paulo airport waiting for our connection flight to ZA. Have to go back for a quick visit for 2 months. It is as good a time to update.

Next stop was on our way to Huascaran national park. But it was still a good 700km away and in Peru you dont do that in the day., especially the mountains. And there was some more stuff to see between. Well you can if you are Chuck Norris.

[​IMG]

We wanted to hit inland and stay in the mountains. That is where the action is. The coast is nice, but tea is also nice. And the general concession is that the mountain people are just nicer.

[​IMG]
    Starting to climb again to 4400m 130000ftv altitude. Going up this road you cross this river 3 times. It was raining and the road was most parts, okay but at the top it became nice and snotty. There are no people around, few local herders. The air is clean and crisp, burning the lungs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4500m right at the top. Although we have no started to acclimatize to the altitude it still feels like I am an asthmatic mouse breathing through a straw when taking photos. It is a bloody mission just to get off and on again. As for the bikes, we take it slow, they really suffer at this altitude but if we keep it smooth and slow they are doing okay.

On our way to Huascaran, we had to stay over in Cerro de Paso, a small mining town. On our way, we were stopped at 10 protestors road blocks. The first one was in Oroy. We checked out the mood, it was potato farmers protesting about the prices the government is giving them. The town was fully blockaded and cars and buses had a no go.

We decided to fuck it! I started to ask people to move their vehicles to allow us to go. Looking like a tourist helped and the guys quickly summoned more people and started to move the stuff just enough for us to get through. The next 100km to Oroy was 9 more. Rocks and burning tyres in the road and a mob hanging around. Cars waved us we can't go. But we persist and every roadblock we crawl forward for them to see we are bikers and when they stop us I say Sud- Africano, no Habla es Spanjol. They chat a bit and then allow us to go. Pulling a stunt like that in Africa with a protest will for fucking sure end in death and a bike burned. The Peruvians were quite kind to us and seem like they know the impact of tourism.

We ended late the night riding in snow to the only hotel we could find in the middle of town.
    [​IMG]

Eventually, we were guest for 4 days as the protestors blocked all roads and the locals advised us to rather sit tight and wait it out. So every day we had beer, grilled chicken and chips and chats with local vendors.

[​IMG]
    The mountains were calling and we took the dirt roads leading us into a more mountainous area.

[​IMG]
    The riding is absolutely fucking mouth-watering stuff. It is not just the dirt roads are fun, you are rewarded with scenery that is otherworldly and top that with small villages and BBQ grazing around.

[​IMG]
    We are going into the distance, but just look at that road!! Straight-line maybe 10-15km, road wise it is 30km easy. That is why you don't go anywhere in a hurry in Peru.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Constantly crisscrossing over the Andes and at these altitudes.
    Charmin, dave6253, george248 and 22 others like this.