Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Sitting on Sao Paulo airport waiting for our connection flight to ZA. Have to go back for a quick visit for 2 months. It is as good a time to update.

Next stop was on our way to Huascaran national park. But it was still a good 700km away and in Peru you dont do that in the day., especially the mountains. And there was some more stuff to see between. Well you can if you are Chuck Norris.

[​IMG]

We wanted to hit inland and stay in the mountains. That is where the action is. The coast is nice, but tea is also nice. And the general concession is that the mountain people are just nicer.

[​IMG]
    Starting to climb again to 4400m 130000ftv altitude. Going up this road you cross this river 3 times. It was raining and the road was most parts, okay but at the top it became nice and snotty. There are no people around, few local herders. The air is clean and crisp, burning the lungs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4500m right at the top. Although we have no started to acclimatize to the altitude it still feels like I am an asthmatic mouse breathing through a straw when taking photos. It is a bloody mission just to get off and on again. As for the bikes, we take it slow, they really suffer at this altitude but if we keep it smooth and slow they are doing okay.

On our way to Huascaran, we had to stay over in Cerro de Paso, a small mining town. On our way, we were stopped at 10 protestors road blocks. The first one was in Oroy. We checked out the mood, it was potato farmers protesting about the prices the government is giving them. The town was fully blockaded and cars and buses had a no go.

We decided to fuck it! I started to ask people to move their vehicles to allow us to go. Looking like a tourist helped and the guys quickly summoned more people and started to move the stuff just enough for us to get through. The next 100km to Oroy was 9 more. Rocks and burning tyres in the road and a mob hanging around. Cars waved us we can't go. But we persist and every roadblock we crawl forward for them to see we are bikers and when they stop us I say Sud- Africano, no Habla es Spanjol. They chat a bit and then allow us to go. Pulling a stunt like that in Africa with a protest will for fucking sure end in death and a bike burned. The Peruvians were quite kind to us and seem like they know the impact of tourism.

We ended late the night riding in snow to the only hotel we could find in the middle of town.
    [​IMG]

Eventually, we were guest for 4 days as the protestors blocked all roads and the locals advised us to rather sit tight and wait it out. So every day we had beer, grilled chicken and chips and chats with local vendors.

[​IMG]
    The mountains were calling and we took the dirt roads leading us into a more mountainous area.

[​IMG]
    The riding is absolutely fucking mouth-watering stuff. It is not just the dirt roads are fun, you are rewarded with scenery that is otherworldly and top that with small villages and BBQ grazing around.

[​IMG]
    We are going into the distance, but just look at that road!! Straight-line maybe 10-15km, road wise it is 30km easy. That is why you don't go anywhere in a hurry in Peru.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Constantly crisscrossing over the Andes and at these altitudes.
    Charmin, dave6253, george248 and 22 others like this.
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Hey Poes, come up to Kronstadt mid Sept first Bash /drink with the Dogs in 4 years .... :photog
    michnus likes this.
  3. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, Llama Braai Boet?
    michnus likes this.
  4. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    I don't know yet, we have a full schedule, but will try if possible. Otherwise we hit a beer in JHB sometime :D
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Hy het amper gekak!! My Leatherman can skin anything :lol3
    roadcapDen likes this.
  6. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    Lovely. Absolutely lovely. Scenery above the treeline is so special. Great photos.
    Have Fun. Kick Ass...or Lama, Alpaca (not literally).
    michnus and benedikt.m like this.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning photos! DR is not as fussy at elevation as DRZ. Take off air box door to get more air in and play with idle jet mix screw, assuming you've done the jet kit thing - usually makes DR happy. It's always a happy bike! :-)
    michnus likes this.
  8. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mich and Else!
    Have the DR's given you any troubles?
    If so, what kind? Also, what kind of impact would these bikes have made on your first trip if you chose the Suzuki and not the Beemer's?
    Besides the obvious answer; they will carry more beer and ice! :photog

Have fun , Edi says "Hi"!
    michnus likes this.
  9. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just Fucking Brilliant......Thanks!!
    michnus likes this.
  10. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    When are you in Jo,burg Michnus?:photog
    michnus likes this.
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks, bloody Lama spit me the in face!! :lol3

Yes they are not as fussed by altitude. To be honest I haven't done anything to them except fitted lighter weight exhaust. Sure, if I re-jet for altitude they will run a bit better, but we go slow and there is no need to race so they actually cope well. In Quito, we adjusted the air-fuel a bit and they can easily go to 5500m, albeit slow and very smooooth on the throttle. Maybe in Bolivia where you ride for days on end at above 4000m we will fit new jets.

Was only in JHB for 2 days, now in East London. Will be back in 4 weeks and we will go for some beers:thumb
    poppawheelie likes this.
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Cool will line the boys up. :photog:clap
    michnus likes this.
  13. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Touch wood, nothing! Except for the shocks, which was I think in most part the people that serviced them. But for the rest I am actually amazed how well they have kept up with all the offroad we did. As for BMW, not on a long trip ever again for me! Learned my lesson with them and got the tshirt. With the DR650's I am so much more relaxed and have way more peace of mind. Breakages won't cost a fortune as like with the BMW's, they are easier to troubleshoot and fix. Just an example, I can rip the rear shock out of the DR in 20min, the Dakar was a bloody 2-3 hour job. The DR I only have 200gram stand, the Dakar needed a 3kg center stand.
    The BMWs are good for no kit travel in a developed country, long term proper fun offroad, they can rather stay home ;)

The weight makes such a difference, it does not matter how much people want to swing dicks about riding big loaded bikes, to date all the people we have seen, met and know off did not do any of the nice offroad parts. Even the Dakar's were heavy when it got too real offroad parts.
    We have traveled with people on 800gs's and those bikes off-road and with weight are monsters to ride, they are cumbersome and left the riders bloody tired. One road we picked those bike's up 4 times, fuck man! That's not fun, the DR's ate those bits for breakfast.

And for our budget, I am happy with them.
    klaviator, elron, BillUA and 6 others like this.
  14. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We were heading for the mountains again. There is this road a few locals told us to ride that crisscross the Andes and then more north will get back to Huascaran park.
    Check the pass in the back ground.
    Fuck me! Was this fun and mind-bendingly beautiful!

[​IMG]
    The snow-capped mountains runoff water and the soil turned the lakes into these deep blue turquoise coloured water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took it slow, first off due to the bikes and secondly, it is such incredible landscapes we were just stunned by the beauty.

[​IMG]
    How to take a photo that can convey the scale and size of that lake and mountain in the background? Its bloody enormous.

[​IMG]
    Part of this road is for a mining company. They are so environmentally conscious we did not even know there was a mine. They are responsible for the upkeep that part of the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The colour of the water is weird. It is crystal clear when close up, but from further away it has this deep blue-green turquoise colour. This lake is fed from the snow in the background.
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Wonderful! Thank you.
    michnus likes this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now you did it!!........Screen saver pictures for sure!!.....Good way to start the morning, Thanks!!
    michnus likes this.
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My BMW G650GS - DR Comparo:

The two year comparo is done. In 2009 the wife and I bought these two bikes new. I have ridden both for a total of about 29,000 miles.
    ================================================================
    The ride:
    The BMW feels planted, sure footed, regardless of the surface it’s on.
    The DR is an athlete, light and quick to respond. It wants to go faster, faster.

Reliability: Both are legendary.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Points in favor of the DR:
    Ignition switch easy to reach. Turn signal switch is smooth and easy to operate. The BMW switch is stiff and has an uncertain feel. The gas cap lock on the BMW broke. In short, all of the controls on the Suzuki are easier to use and are of better quality.

DR is 75 pounds lighter.

DR cost exactly 1/2 as much!

Maintenance is easier on the DR, with a sight glass to check the oil. Changing the oil and filter is simple, unlike the BMW which requires the removal of numerous bolts, facades, and covers. Battery in the DR is sealed. BMW uses an old fashioned wet acid/ plate.

Ergonomics and windshield: I constantly struggled with the BMW in search of comfort, changing the seat, adding bar risers, trying multiple windshields. A number of specialty aftermarket windshields are available for the BMW at $300 ~ $400. None of them work to my expectations. Any one of a number of less than $100 windshields simply bolt to the Suzuki and work fine. A left over $60 Slipstreamer is on there now. The ergo’s required no change, but the seat did.

Those bird beak fenders on BMW’s make no sense to me. A sub fender is then required, to clog with mud. WTF! Adds weight too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What the BMW does have that the DR does not:
    Fuel injection.
    More than enough wattage to power heated clothing, aux lights, etc.
    ================================================================
    What I figured out: A lot of little things like stiff switches and overly complicated maintenance kept bugging me about the BMW. Bottom line is, I prefer Japanese engineering. I took wholesale value to get rid of the BMW.
    Yannick and michnus like this.
  18. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the colour of the lake is influenced by glacial flour. Finely ground up rock into dust which gets suspended in the water which creates the colour but looks clear when you are close.
    Yannick, BillUA, michnus and 2 others like this.
  19. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superb photography!! You're in motorcyclist heaven! Thanks for posting and keep traveling...BTW you need to have this one framed:

[​IMG]
    klaviator, dano619, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  20. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    You nailed it! My thoughts aswell. :)
    poppawheelie likes this.