Michnus & Elsebie Piki-Piki Around the World.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by michnus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes, it was one of those quick stop for a few photos moment and this one just came out nice.
  2. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    As we rode we saw this mutha of a clusterfuck dark cloud monster in the distance. It was around 4 the afternoon and still had a good part to go. With rains on these roads, it was for sure going to slow us down. I checked as we rode on the GPS if the road just maybe would turn and we would miss this thing.
    Fuck-all! We were going to hit it head on!

[​IMG]

It was not full-on raining, it was pea-size hail raining down! In buckets! And got worse, with massive thunder. And that was bad, there were nowhere to hide. Lightning in such open areas can not be good.

We stopped at the only goat shelter next to the road to sit out the storm. Just got off the bikes and we heard the sound of a child crying. Over the rock wall fence, three kids were walking out of the field towards the road. Soaked with rain, all three sobbing, the youngest I guess 4 years and the oldest maybe 7-8. The hail hit them in the face with the oldest trying to shelter the youngest while walking.

I ran out to my bike, rip off the tarpaulin from under the bags and wave to them to come to get over to me. They got such a fright from this big man with the funny close waning they hesitated for a moment. I wave again and walk towards them, it is hailing bath size, not buckets by then.

Got them under the roof, Elsebie got the youngest to sit close to her, poor kid is soaking wet and it is fucking cold! We were still at 4000m.

[​IMG]

Luckily we had some coffee on the bike in the flask we made that morning for a stop somewhere during the day. It helped them to warm up a bit. Obviously, they live close by and was out playing when the storm hit them. We sat with them until the worst of the storm passed for about an hour. With time we figured out their house was the one way off into the distance.

[​IMG]

It looked it snowed, I rapped my tarpaulin around the three kids and watched them walk off to the house, the small still crying. We waited and watched them until they got close to home. Why and where de hell their parents I don't know, but that is how kids grow tough in the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And sometimes you just bugger up a water crossing. This was one of these looks easy as pie crossings but then turns into a devil of a bastard with rocks catching you off guard. :lol3
  3. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    1820.jpg
    High altitude kids, on their own, even at 'just' 3000m/10.000ft, in a 3.world country, even on a good day, makes you think about life, in a different way...for a long time.
  4. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You both earned some Karma points.
    elron and kiwial like this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Furthermore, beer and Braai are on us!! Next time we meet up!!
    :beer:bandit
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Incredible pictures and story:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    poppawheelie likes this.