Mid June, eastern Mojave, 75F...you kiddin me?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Skooter, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Typically 600 degrees this time of year. Can’t pass this up.
    IMG_8144.jpg

Veterans Memorial Park, always one of the nicest peaceful stops on that west end of Rt 66...
    IMG_8155.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg
    Gets some wind down here too.
    IMG_8158.jpg
  2. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    IMG_8161.jpg
    IMG_8164.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg
    Flew past some cholla clusters headed up to Oatman and figured I’d backtrack for pics. Glad I did.
    IMG_8176.jpg
  3. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Thinking these have to be my favorite cactus. Love the desert, and have sure seen some amazing ones. None of the pics of which I can find at the moment. So try to be content with these... Will have to give these a closer look this evening but this one could be one of my personal favorite desert pics. (edit, large format second look, the one below this one I think is better)
    IMG_8195.jpg

Believe what you wish, but I’ll never be convinced all this was created just by happenstance over a bazillion years of random accidents. Praise God!

Coming from the rainy gloomy southeast you’ll forgive me for having such a blue sky fixation.
    IMG_8194.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8204.jpg
  4. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Not a ton of pictures this ride but I have a hard time out here in the west. What should be a 2 hour ride often becomes 5 or 6 hours when you’re stopping for pictures, gettin off the bike every quarter mile or so!
  5. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    These are prevalent in NW AZ as well...
    (Plus unlimited visibility )
    IMG_1896.jpg
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling well...

very cool - I rode that section of Old Rt 66 coming down from Oatman...
  7. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    There's about a 40 mile segment around Oatman, it's kinda like riding through Zion NP in that you have a hard time keeping your eyes on the road, but MUST, or you die. Fortunate to live in this area, with time to find those magical out of the way spots ya miss on the first few rides through.
    Like one curve with concrete steps upward to a small spring and a commanding view of the valley to the north...
    IMG_7490.JPEG
  8. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics:thumb

Nice Versys too!
    Chillis and black 8 like this.
  10. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics and ride @Skooter, huge fan of the desert down there and wish I had closer access to get out and ride. Crazy to have it so cool given the time of year, especially after seeing news reports of triple digit heat there a couple weeks back.

The shot you took looking out from that spring is amazing, what a killer perspective. Is that water drinkable out of that spring? Maybe with a lifestraw or other water filter? Seriously neat spot - an oasis.

Good on you for getting out there :thumb
    Chillis and klaviator like this.
  11. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Skooter you reminded me to get down there to try out the dirt roads/trails around Oatman.

Have you done any trail riding in the area?

Nice pics. Beautiful area.
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  12. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Don't get me started on the VX300. When it was introduced for 2017 it seemed to address everything I didn't like about the last-gen KLR I used to own. So after about 6 months of stellar reviews (the ADV thread is pushing 900 pages now) I had to have one. For freeway use you're up in the 9-11K RPM range, redline at 12, and most folks who don't like the bike don't understand it's OK to rev it that fast. All day every day for years actually, these engines are built for it. Smoothest bike I've ever owned, it's almost like electric. :-)

Have you ridden one? It's a full size motorcycle but a heckuvalot easier for my 5'10 145lbs to handle than that topheavy KLR was.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  13. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Thank you. The water wasn't moving, seemed kinda stagnant actually but depending on purification method anything's possible I guess. From the survival shows I've seen on televison (plus I slept at Holiday Inn express last night) purity has alot to do with what's upstream and whether any wildlife has tainted it and so forth.
  14. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Yes I have, but there's a reason it says moto-slowpoke under my screen name, so don't look to me for advice! lol Kinda miss my old TW200 but it was an absolute dog and I wouldn'ta felt safe running down the interstates between exits on that thing.

So after an exceptionally rugged trail on the VX300 where the biggest challenge was not damaging the beautiful VX I ended up getting an XT250 for the insane stuff. Kinda disappointed in top speed, seems to be only about 7-8 faster than the tee-dub, but hey, 70-75mph and keep an eye on the mirrors, I think it'll go places. XT is pretty lame as dual sports go, but it's like an elite level motocross machine compared to the TW!!! I wanna take it to the Grand Canyon sometime, and headed east after Seligman includes a steep 40 mile interstate run to Williams. Figure I can peg it, maybe hold 55 in the right hand truck lanes and be ok.
    It's also 100 lbs lighter than the Versys-X300 and easier to load in the back of my truck.
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  15. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take Route 66 from Kingman to Ashfork and then search maps because there are dirt roads from Ashfork to Williams.
    Skooter and black 8 like this.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden one but have always liked that bike. I already have a Versys 650, had a KLR650 and plan on getting a KLX250 so I really don't have room for a VX300. If I was starting my fleet of bikes from scratch I would certainly consider it. I saw a white one at a dealer recently that looked really good although it would be tough to pick it over Kawasaki Green.
    Skooter, black 8 and Chillis like this.