Mid-Life Blues; Lets Go Riding, first up Australia.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Happyidiot, Mar 6, 2017.

1. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do formal "check stops" around key holliday dates looking for drunk drivers but my understanding is there must be "probable cause" (signs of impairment) present to actually justify a roadside breath test. It can't be completely random.
    During a check stop a road block would be set up and all vehicles passing through would be stopped and the driver questioned if he had been drinking while the officer observed for signs of impairment. If positive a breath test would be administered.
    JJ
    Happyidiot likes this.
  2. Happyidiot

Happyidiot Busy making the dream happen !

Oddometer:
    Sounds similar JJ but over here if you refuse to give a breath sample you will be deemed over the limit. There may be an option to request a blood test at a hospital but I would need to check that.
    :-)
  3. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Hi ADVriders, today's short & sweet RR Post.
    From the far north of Western Australia in the region of the Kimberley.
    Day 129 of the total tour Wednesday, 26/09/17, Halls Creek to Fitzroy Crossing......320kms

In Fitzroy Crossing the Locals, predominantly made up of Aboriginal people apparently have a drinking problem. This means you can purchase Full Strength Beer over the bar at $7 per can but no takeaways allowed unless they are light beers, ie 2.5%.

This rule applies to everyone, sounds a bit like reverse discrimination to me. Maybe the Politicians need to start dealing with the root cause of the issue and not slap a bandaid on the symptom.

Anyway over to happier things like riding. We came across Shayne today, who is about 2 weeks into a 3 month figure 8 tour of Oz on his Royal Enfield Classic 500. He has had a few problems like broken side stand, broken fuel tank mounts, loose fuel line but generally the bike is running well.

IMG_7251.JPG
    Shayne attempting his own epic tour on a Royal Enfield Classic 500cc, they cost about the same as Jenny's Honda CB500X. Good luck Mate :-)

Good on ya Mate, but I'll stick with my Yamaha for now. Seriously Shayne is a top bloke and we actually know each other through 6 degrees of separation. He is from down our way & went to school with my brother Steve. (Full Disclosure: Sorry I'm not the biggest RE 500cc fan after all the hassles we had with Jenny's RE Bullet in India).

I'm curious to see how his tour progresses, he is only posting on FB at https://www.facebook.com/ShayneoClassic500/

IMG_7261.JPG
    Check out the length of that Road Train carrying fuel, it's like a scene out of Mad Max. (Edit: We later found out it was Darren from FuelTrans and he was carrying a massive 175000 Litres of Fuel, thanks for the info sent to my Instagram by Jon).

Jen & I also got off the beaten track a couple of times and on one occasion I found a serious bull dust track, I hate that stuff !

IMG_7267.GIF
    We went in search of some caves, the Bull Dust on the track was crazy so I turned around & came back.

IMG_7265.JPG
    Jen does her best in a very shoddy camp kitchen at Fitzroy Crossing Inn, possibly the worst of our whole trip. We even had to bust out the MSR stove as the supplied gas burner didn't worked. Really for $36p/n it was well below substandard. Showers & toilets weren't to flash either.

NB: I just reread & checked over this post & it comes across as pretty negative. Have decided not to edit out any of the doom & gloom. Even though we are out there "living the dream" not every day can seem perfect. Overall it was a pretty good day & still beat a day in the Office by heaps. Will
    MaverickAus and just jeff like this.
  4. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    DAY 30 (140), Wednesday, 27/09/17, Fitzroy Crossing to Broome, 445kms.

Wow, things are improving for the Happyidiots. We had our earliest "break camp" start ever on the Motorbikes, departing Fitzroy Crossing just before 7am. We even ate our nuts & berries with UHT milk before going. The sunrise is currently at 5.35am in this part of the Kimberley.

As you can imagine starting early to beat the heat is the best way to go & the first couple of hours riding was exceptional, everyone else on the road seems in a good mood, all giving us a wave as we pass. There isn't that much traffic maybe 10 vehicles per hour so you pretty much have the road to yourself, making it extremely easy to check out the trees, birds & vegetation as you ride along at a relaxed 100km/h.

IMG_3467.JPG
    One of the many gnarly Boab Trees in the Kimberley, this one is just a medium size tree, about 500 years old. At the start of the Wet Season it will start to sprout leaves. We noticed some had already started to have some leaves.

We stopped at Wilaire Roadhouse (about 140kms from Broome). The 91RON petrol was extremely expensive at $1.90 per litre so I just put 5 litres in the S10 & 4 litres into the Honda, enough to extend our range 100 kays, ensuring we make it to Broome. All the other Roadhouses up this way have been at around $1.65p/l so a bit of obvious price gouging going on. I still bought some sandwiches & drinks off them, they were nice.

While eating our sandwiches at Wilaire R/H we got talking to Tracy a nice woman in her 50's who is pushing a 3 wheeled cart around Australia with her little dog Dexter, so far she has walked 6000kms from the Gold Coast over the past 20 months. She covers about 25kms per day & is doing it to raise money for Suicide Prevention. I donated a small amount to her cause, she didn't ask or hint for it & I was impressed at her determination.
    http://onewomanwandering.com/

IMG_3466.JPG
    Once in Broome we have some time to kill, so check out some of the sights. Here we are out at the Broome Port, but just around the corner at the recreational boat ramp, near the Fishing Club.

Finally we arrive at Broome, Jenny & I love this place. In our lives before children (BC) we worked here for 4 months the first time, living in a small tent at the Roebuck Bay Caravan Park. Then returned the following season & did nearly 11 months both working at the Cable Beach Club Resort. Lord Mc Alpine owned it then (and much of Broome at the time). So his staff had somewhere to stay he also bought the Ocean Lodge Resort, which has 58 rooms & was originally built in 1984.

IMG_3465.JPG
    Broome's famous Cable Beach, Australia has many fantastic beaches but this is one of the best, definitely in the top 10 in my opinion. Best time is in the morning before the breeze comes in.

For that "BC" year back in 1990 it was one big party ( that involved a bit of work) for the Happyidiots, along with our 30+ similarly young instant friends it was great. We now look back on that time as one of our best ever years together. Often back then I'd ride a tired old Yamaha 350 to work that I borrowed off Steve one of my work mates. Otherwise we got around on push bikes or sometimes used our old 1972 VH Chrysler Valiant sedan, which mainly sat in the Ocean Lodge Carpark, collecting dust. Keep in mind the "Gulf War" was on & fuel prices were through the roof, I recall it being just over $1 per litre !

After checking out all the accommodations options in expensive Broome, the Broome Time Lodge (formally the Ocean Lodge) was the cheapest in town, at $115 per day.
    Whoah did Jen & I experience some massive flashbacks, I think they have even put us in my old workmate Carl's room. Our old room, number 21 in over on the other side. I had a slight chuckle when the Receptionist asked if we have been here before.... ah no :-)

IMG_3464.JPG
    The "party"pool at Broome Time Lodge (formally Ocean Lodge) where Jenny & I lived for nearly a year back in 1990. We use to swim in this pool nearly every day or have pool shoulder fights with the girls on the blokes shoulders. Last girl to loose their bikini top won.....great times :-)

So there's a little bit of team wiljen history for you, I'm amazed it was 27 years ago, but it does put a big grin on my face when I think back to it. 2 or 3 nights here in this tropical paradise & then we will continue south.
  5. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Just Jeff, get a feeling you are planning another Bike Tour in Australia ?
    Will.
  6. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great idea! How hard would it be to buy a bike there for a non Australian?
    JJ
    Happyidiot likes this.
  7. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Not hard at all JJ, usual routine you need a residential address in the State you are buying the bike. You just use the Motorbike Shop (salesman maybe) you plan on buying & selling the bike back to, or if that doesn't work out then some fellow Aussie ADVrider address who lives here. Same for insurance, bike will still be in your name & you own it. You don't need an Aussie Drivers Licence to buy a vehicle here. Well in WA anyway.
    Will
    just jeff likes this.
  8. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Thursday the 28/09/17, relaxing day in Broome, we took the Tenere & had lunch at Matso's Brewery, then checked out China Town (Broome's CBD). On the way back to Broome Time Lodge we stopped & bought some supplies for tomorrow as we are leaving town.

IMG_3495.JPG
    Lunch Stop at Matso's Brewery & a couple of Mango Beers to wash it down...Broome WA.

IMG_3494.JPG
    Looking down Dampier Street in Broome's China Town area.

IMG_3496.JPG
    Sun Pictures out door Cinema, oldest one still operating in Australia I think.

Upon our return to Broome Time Lodge I went to retrieve my bike cover, which I had folded & placed on Jenny's bike seat under her bike cover. I noticed that it was laying on the ground, I did think it was strange but didn't really put much thought into it.

For the rest of the day & evening we rested up chilled out. Doing our best to ignore the noisey kids in the swimming pool (it is School Holidays at the moment). Later we also had a great chat with the new owner of Broome Time Lodge, Dean........15kms.

IMG_3493.JPG
    Our Travel Mascot, Becky Beetles last time with us (from the day before, Wednesday). Before she goes AWOL.
    MaverickAus likes this.
  9. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    DAY 32 (142), Friday, 29/09, Broome to Sandfire Roadhouse, 360kms.

Our day started out normal enough. Jenny finished off her latest Blog edition & we just quietly packed up our gear. Not far to go today, we are aiming for Barn Hill approximately 160kms south of here. Highway riding all the way except for the final 9kms into Barn Hill which is dirt track (they do advise it's suitable for 2WD cars).

As we loaded up the bikes we noticed our team Mascot, Good Luck Charm & all round Good Sport who never complains, Becky Beetle had disappeared from under Jenny's Honda wind shield. We looked around, rechecked our room & bags but nothing ??? Oh no Becky Beetle had been "Bug Napped" or maybe decided to stay in Broome permanently !

Now I know this sounds silly (& it is but sometimes you need a strange sense of humour on these long tours) so hear me out. During the tough moments you can use a Mascot to pep you up, if something goes wrong you can focus the blame on the team Mascot instead of each other. Plus it's just a bit of fun. That little red fluffy Beetle has been on many epic trips with us, so we were both a little shitty that it had gone astray.

We reported it to Management & told them we thought the Bug Napping (I can hear you all laughing now, so that just proves our Mascot Theory works, it's good for a laugh ! :-) ) had occurred when we were out for the 3 hours the day before, remember my bike cover was on the ground. Also the Honda's number plate was badly bent out at a right angle like someone had bashed into it in their haste to get away.

My best guess is kids, most likely staying at the Lodge. Though there is also the possibility the Becky Beetle just fell off somewhere in Broome, we will never really know ?

It really isn't that bigger deal, we will find a replacement Mascot for our next epic tours. See ya Becky the Port Lincoln Gutter Beetle. :-)

IMG_3489.JPG
    On our way out of Broome we do one final check at the Roebuck Hotel to make sure Becky Beetle isn't there on the piss.

Eventually we arrived at the Barn Hill turn off, gee it looks pretty sandy. We open the closed gate, Ride our bikes through, shut the gate & nervously head down the sandy track. A couple of times I nearly come a cropper, handling the Big Yamaha on the red pindan sand felt nearly impossible to me. I could barely keep upright, with gear, fuel & me on board I reckon the whole setup comes in at 400kg (880 pound) after nearly 2kms the track didn't improve if anything it was getting worse.

IMG_3490.JPG
    As I'm sure most of you already know, heavy 1200cc Adventure Bikes & soft sand don't mix.

Jenny was trying to remain stoic & doing her best to paddle along the sandy track but we both thought this madness has to stop before one of us gets hurt. So we both agreed to turn around & head back.....Mission Barn Hill, aborted.

IMG_3491.JPG
    We can't handle this sandy track out to Barn Hill, so in order to live & fight another day we turn back after 2kms.

Soon after our aborted mission we stopped for lunch, WTF our bread rolls are covered in small sugar ANTS (probably from the BT Lodge) as we had left them out on the bench, forgot about that past Broome Ant issue we use to have. Oh well dust them off, slap some ham & cheese in them & try not to think about the Ants you may have missed.

Our plan B was Eighty Mile Beach another 220kms along the highway then turn off on another track. In our distant past we have been out there about 3 times, I recall the last time the track being a gravel road. By the time we reached Sandfire Roadhouse we were both over it. There was still another 50kms until Eighty Mile but it was now nearly 4pm & we had, had enough.

After a couple of beers at the Sandfire Bar Jen & I decided we would cheat & get a budget room, $80 for a double, how bad could it be.....quite shit actually so we asked for a refund & paid the Staff $20 bucks to set up our tent on a sandy patch of ground.

IMG_3492.JPG
    Late afternoon at the Sandfire Roadhouse, how bad can it be, I must say the staff are really nice & beer is cold.

Next up it was dinner, we are still missing today's Mojo so opt to eat in the Sandfire dining room. Rissoles & Vege are on special so we both go for that. Sadly the rissoles were raw in the middle. We were both over complaining by now so just ate the cooked outside bit of the rissoles & scrapped the raw mince to the side. At least the showers were ok.

This is the sort of shit that happens when you lose your Touring Good Luck Charm. Not to worry tomorrow's a new day & who knows what joy it will bring.
  10. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey you two... I just thought that I would let you know that there is another Canuck following your report with a thought to heading down under. It's not inexpensive though, compared to all the other riding options available. Dodgy rooms at $100 a night and campgrounds at $40. Fuel at $1.50/ltr. Are there any bargains to balance off the budget?
    Enjoying it vicariously. Thanks for posting.
    S.
    Happyidiot and just jeff like this.
  11. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Hi SteveTheLocal (hope it's ok to call you Steve :-)). Great to hear from you, sometimes I wonder who out there is even interested in our "Married Couple Ride".

That is a great question...."is Australia cheap to travel" ? I think the general answer is NO when compared to Spain, India, Indonesia & Thailand. YES compared to New Zealand, U.K, Denmark & Switzerland. On PAR with France, Germany & Belgium.
    The good news is that life is pretty safe & reasonably predictable when touring Aus. unlike India (talking about the roads in India mainly) and parts of SEA. Haven't been to any other developing countries so can't talk for those places.

It can be done on the cheap if you want, FREE CAMPING is very easy. We haven't done much on this tour (maybe 6-8 days) because I think we are getting a bit soft, plus I really love riding with Jenny & don't mind the price of keeping her happy.
    YHA & Hostel beds are often available at around $30 on average. Petrol/Gas we often use premium 95 or 98 RON but 91RON is usually up to 10-20 cents cheaper per litre. Our daily fuel cost when moving is about $20-$25 per bike, the Honda uses about 1 litre per 100kms less then the Yamaha. That gets us 350-400kms.

We have a bit of a unwritten rule, if we pay for accommodation we cook in & if we stay in the tent we often eat out. Obviously cooking for yourself will be cheaper. I'm keeping a record of our spending & a good guess would be $15 per person per day if you sorted out your own tucker.

We aim on $150AUD per day for both of us, quite hard to achieve that when we stay in Motels & Cabins, they would average $100-$120 per night which we think is rediculous. At least 50% of this tour we have been in our tent or staying with friends & family.

I think as a single bloke doing this trip, sometimes staying with FB Fiends, fellow ADVriders & HU riders you could get by on $500 per week & enjoy your trip...
    Food $100
    Fuel $120 doing 1500kms per week
    Accom.Camp sites $80-$100 per week, 3x CV Parks, 1x Hostel, 3 x free camps or friends.
    Beer ??? for me it's way to much but it's one good way to meet people & create opportunity. 30 can Block of beer is about $45 from the store but not practical to carry that on a bike. I just buy the occasional cold 6 pack at $20.
    Sight seeing & Tours ??? For us it's mainly been about the ride.
    Total per week for one person on the cheap = $320, with extra Accom., sight seeing, better food & beer = $550.

What are the BARGAINS, clean & diverse environment (probably similar to Canada but warmer, guess I'll find out next year myself while on our North American tour). Friendly helpful people, food at grocery stores in larger towns & cities is fairly cheap & good quality, fuel isn't actually overly expensive when compared to other countries ie NZ, Indonesia & India. You never have to buy drinking water (but sometimes in isolated areas we top up our camel backs in the hand basins in the ablutions) as Roadhouses want to sell it to you. Secondhand motorbikes are quite cheap in Australia at the moment in my opinion.
    Hope this answers your question Steve, once we get home in 2 weeks I'll do a breakdown of what our trip cost us & where we could have saved some cash.
    Will.

IMG_3498.JPG
    It's just after 6am at Sandfire Roadhouse, $10pp to stay in our tent out the back. Time to break camp & head for Port Hedland.

IMG_3499.JPG
    It's a windy morning, 37km/h SE Wind which means a crosswind.

IMG_3501.JPG
    The DeGrey River, 150kms north of Port Hedland, we are here at the end of the Dry Season, during the Wet it is flowing at full force, often the Great Northern Highway is closed for days, especially after Tropical Cyclones.

IMG_3500.JPG
    Crossing The DeGrey River, today Saturday 30/09/17 total travel days 143, Sandfire Roadhouse to Port Hedland, 320kms.
    MaverickAus and cejnys like this.
  12. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Map Details:
    Day 29 (139), Tuesday 26/09/17 Halls Creek to Day 33 (143), Saturday, 30/09/17 Port Hedland. Via Fitzroy Crossing-Broome-Sandfire. 4 riding days, 1 rest day. 1460kms

IMG_3503.JPG

30th of September. Some more photos from our day. Port Hedland is a mining town, Millions of tonnes of Iron Ore are shipped out of here every year, most of it comes from BHP Billiton Mines like Newman.

IMG_3506.JPG
    Jenny & I chat with a couple of Gold Prospectors, Rob & Marrie. They left the real world 2 years ago & haven't looked back. Living full time in their tricked up Camper Trailer & Toyota Landcruiser Ute, with their 2 dogs.

IMG_3505.JPG
    Cooke Point, Port Hedland, just after sunset, the tides are huge up here & it looks a fair way out at the moment.

IMG_3504.JPG
    A panoramic shot of the Cooke Point at sunset.
    MaverickAus, Carbyhead and just jeff like this.
  13. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Sunday 1st of October, Port Hedland to Point Samson on WesternAustralia's Pilbara region 245kms.
    (Phone reception at Point Samson terrible & no free wifi, still a nice place).

IMG_7342.JPG
    Large Iron Ore Ship being pushed into Port Hedland by a couple of Tug Boats.

IMG_7353.JPG
    The Whim Creek Hotel, quick stop for a coldie :-)

IMG_7375.JPG
    Honeymoon Cove at Point Samson, this is our view from the tent. If you walk across the small Car Park.

IMG_7377.JPG
    The Point Samson Hotel is next door but the Happyidiots decide to eat in tonight.
    MaverickAus likes this.
  14. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Monday 2nd October Point Samson to Karratha/Dampier 110kms.
    Ho hum another great day chasing the dream, meeting people & seeing the sights. Riding around under the Big Blue Sky on a 30C day with the Wife ain't to bad either.

Spending a couple of days in Karratha with friends.

IMG_7386.JPG
    Old Court House in Cossack, was once a pearling town.

IMG_7396.JPG
    Museum inside the Cossack Court House built 1896.

IMG_7412.JPG
    We have been here before & it is even better then I remember, Cossack WA, at Tien Tsin Lookout on a 30C day...magic✌️

IMG_7417.JPG
    Sitting at the Mermaid Hotel, Dampier, waiting for our friends to come in on their fishing boat.
    MaverickAus, just jeff and oldbeer like this.
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks epic Will and Jen, living the dream as they say. I'd like to object to all the comments about NZ being expensive, but unfortunately its true!! What price paradise, though?
    Take care on the last legs home.
    Happyidiot likes this.
  16. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Hi Oldbeer, certainly don't intend to offend any of my Kiwi mates. I would visit your country any time. As you are right, it is a little bit of paradise ! Our month touring the North Island was great.

Fuel is expensive about $1.90AUD per litre, but on the plus side the travel distances are less though it takes more time due to those excellent winding roads.

Food in general was dearer, camp grounds & motels as well.

Beer, hire van & those fantastic mussels were all cheap.

If you are reading this and haven't been to New Zealand I would put it at the top of your list, great people, amazing scenery a large variety of landscapes. Jen & I hope to return soon for a minimum of 3 months & focus on the South Island.
    Chiz EnZed Cuzzy Bros....Will
    MaverickAus likes this.
  17. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    We spent 3 Days in Karratha then head down to Onslow, 320kms, DAY 38 (148) Thursday 5/10/17.

IMG_3515.JPG
    The Red Dog Memorial in Dampier, great true story about a Red Heeler Dog with no one owner who travelled the Pilbara in the 1970's. There is an Aussie Movie out there called "Red Dog" I've seen it & enjoyed it.

Wow Karratha has changed a lot, last time we were there would have been in 2003. Since then there has been the GFC, a massive commodities Boom & now a Bust. There are about 5 small high rise buildings....they weren't there before.
    This is our territory we are riding in now, what that means is we don't need a Map or GPS to find our way home. Both Jen & I know at least 3 different routes we could take to do the next 1600+ kms. On this occasion we will stick to the coastal route, as it should be a bit cooler then the inland route.

IMG_3517.JPG
    Burrup Gas Plant at Dampier/Karratha. The main commodities that go through this area are Iron Ore, Natural Gas & Salt.

Also since we are now travelling in our own backyard we know lots of people. While in Karratha we spent a night with Jeff, Tash & their 3 kids, The next night was in one of the new appartment buildings with Kelly & Darren (the real bed was nice). Then on night number 3 we stayed with Paul, Shelly, their 4 kids & 3 dogs. We had a great time.

IMG_3518.JPG
    A new Karratha CBD, the building on the right with the yellow leaves (?) is located on the old Public Swimming Pool site.

IMG_3519.JPG
    We stop to check out the Fortescue River on our way to Onslow. 36 degrees celsius out here but 6 degrees cooler on the coast at Onslow.

Right now we are in Onslow, this town has changed heaps as well & there are now a couple of nearby Gas Plants. It use to be a bit of a "Wild West" small fishing town, best remembered for when I caught a 20kg Cobia offshore from here. It is also the base for a British Nuclear Bomb Test.

At 8am on The 3rd of October, 1952, an atomic bomb, as big as the one that had destroyed the Japanese city of Nagasaki seven years earlier, was detonated about 70kms off the coast of Onslow at the Monte Bello Islands. I have actually met a couple of Old Timers during my life who were at the Onslow Hotel on the top balcony & they could see the bright flash & hear the distant rumble of nuclear bomb created thunder. Will we ever learn ?
    To the Australian Government of the day's shame, they allowed a further 12 nuclear bomb tests by the British over a 5 year period on Australian soil. Many Aussie Service Men went on to develop cancers & other health issues.....were they used as guinea pigs ? History Lesson & Rant Over......

As I peck this out on my Mini IPad 4 it is Friday October the 6th & our time is running out. We will spend 2 days in Onslow then head to Coral Bay for 2 Days. The bikes are going well, but I have noticed a small air leak in the S-Tenere's rear tyre. It is losing about 5psi a day. I've tried to locate the cause but can't find it, so will probably get it checked out in Geraldton. In the mean time regular checks & inflation.
    MaverickAus likes this.
  18. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Map Details:
    DAY 34 (144), Sunday, 1/09/17, Port Hedland to DAY 39 (149) Fri, 6/10, Onslow. Via Point Samson & Karratha. 3 travel Days & 3 lay over Days. Distance = 790kms

IMG_3521.JPG
    On the bottom right of the map is the town of Tom Price, Jenny & I lived there with our 3 kids for 8 years. 1996-2004 so we know this area well.

IMG_3522.JPG
    A Full Moon rises over the Bay at Onslow (yesterday evening October 5th).

IMG_3523.JPG
    Another great morning in the Pilbara, Beadon Bay, Onslow, Western Australia.

IMG_7460.JPG
    Beadon Hotel, Onslow. Only $28 for a Steak Sandwich ! Gave it a miss as it exceeded my financial pain threshold :-)
  19. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Onslow to Coral Bay, day 150 of our Oz ride.
    Saturday, October the 8th.....410kms

IMG_7475.JPG
    Jenny busts out some moves down at the small Onslow Port located in Beadon Creek.

Currently we are riding the windy West Coast, 37km/h South/West wind today which generally meant a hitting the right shoulder headwind & feeling like you are a punching bag.

Onslow was good & the night before we watched a massive full moon rise over Beadon Bay. In the morning I checked the bikes tyre pressures and the S-Tenere's rear tyre was at 25psi....Bummer !

I checked for the leak once again but no luck, I'm suspecting maybe the external string plug I put in back at Carnarvon Gorge, Queensland is failing. Though nothing is bubbling out of there. I guess the tyre will have to come off soon. In the meantime pump it up & monitor.

IMG_7476.JPG
    Termite Mounds that look like Poo Emojis
    . Constructed by Spinifex Termites.

We stopped at Nanutarra Roadhouse & saw Alan & Chris who we first met back in Point Samson, this lead to a long talk and therefore a long break at Nanutarra.

IMG_7482.JPG
    Bayview campground at Coral Bay. In the background are the Soccer Hooligans who are travelling in Wicked Camper 4WD's to be fair they were actually ok. :-)

After such a windy ride we were both happy to reach Coral Bay, booked into the Bayview CV Park & discovered we had been placed between a bunch of young English soccer hooligans & two lots of families with heaps of small children. Rest day tomorrow.

IMG_7486.JPG
    Here is a glimpse of Coral Bay on the Ningaloo Reef. Amazing snorkelling!
  20. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    October the 9th, Coral Bay to Hamelin Pool (Shark Bay, WA). via Carnarvon.
    Day 152 of our Ride. 500kms.

As always Coral Bay was wonderful, we met more travellers & generally relaxed.

The strong South/Westerly Headwinds continue. At the 50km mark just before we crossed south of the Tropic of Capricorn we caught up to Matthias from Germany who is riding from Darwin to Perth, we spent some time chatting the day before, really nice bloke.

IMG_7503.JPG
    Matthias had covered 50kms in 3 hours not to shabby with a light headwind.

IMG_7507.JPG
    We are going to miss the Tropics, only 28C max today.

Other fellow adventures we met were the Guys from Brazil of Ruta Roots (search them out on FB) they are doing a 3 month lap of Oz on their KLR650, 2-up. Hopefully they will stay with us next week....

20171009_133156.jpg
    Ruta Roots, these two are from Brazil, they have ridden all over South America, now doing a lap of Aus. We did spot them at the Barkly Roadhouse NT but didn't get the opportunity to meet.

After our longish ride we ended up at Hamelin Pool, home of the ancient Stromatolites. We put the tent up on a nice bit of grass, great spot but no drinking water.

IMG_7526.JPG
    One of Earths first life forms, Stromatolites have been around for 3 Billion years. Hamelin Pool (Shark Bay) has one of the best examples of them.

MaverickAus likes this.