Mid-Life Blues; Lets Go Riding, first up Australia.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Happyidiot, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Happyidiot

Happyidiot Busy making the dream happen !

Oddometer:
    Hi MaverickAus, definitely have heard of them, but haven't read or researched them much. Your outfit looks very well set up. So far the little Honda seems to be holding up pretty well, shall wait & see what happens next.
    Thanks Will
  2. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Apologies for getting a bit behind fellow RR followers, lots has been happening. We are currently staying in Torquay about 25kms out of Geelong, with our friends Matt, Anna & their two children. These guys run their own Motor Bike Tour Company, which operates rides in Australia & India.

"Now this isn't an add for them but it is a quick plug so no links look it up if you feel you have too."

We first met Matt last year, prior to starting our Indian bike tour. Matt & Anna's Company is called Nevermind Adventure Tours, for discloser I get nothing (well a couple of beers and a mattress on the floor for a couple of nights) from him & was a paying customer for the 10 day Indian Rajasthan Tour last October, that morphed into 8 weeks, 5000kms bike trip riding India with Jenny on Royal Enfield's. It was a great 10 day tour....plug over !

Today's Tour Notes !
    Day 17, 18th April 2017, Tuesday
    From/Too: Princetown to Geelong then back to Torquay. GOR
    Distance: 230kms
    Depart: 9.30am to 2pm 3.5 hours ride time.
    Weather: max temp 24C mostly clear skies, no wind, fantastic riding weather.

Apart from my aching left thigh, it was a fabulous ride along the GOR. Prior to departing Princetown I hopped onto my smart phone and booked a 3pm appointment with a Myotherapist in Geelong, so that put a small time constraint on our ride, i.e. 5.5 hours to ride 200kms (about 3.5hrs riding time along the GOR). We stopped in Apollo Bay for Brunch, then continued to enjoy the scenic coastal ride that meanders along. As the day wore on the traffic increased, most of it seemed to be heading West so we still had a pretty good run heading east with not to many slow vehicles to spoil our enjoyment.

IMG_2486.PNG
    Lovely riding through the GOR forests.

Both Jenny & I still had to take it a bit easy as our tyres were now at the wear marks, particularly in the centre of the tread & in the shaded areas the road was damp & slippery.

xwqz237498.jpg
    Gibbons Stairs, just east of the extremely busy 12 Apostles. GOR.

By 2.15pm we were in Geelong at the Myotherapist who proceeded to massage my back & stick acupuncture needles into my left glute & left leg. Did it help ??? Well it did feel quite a bit better afterwards. I was also given specific exercises to do. We will see how it feels after a few days.

IMG_2483.PNG
    Into the final section of the GOR, check out the glorious Autumn day we have copped for it !

xwqz321222.jpg
    Ouch, I've just been poked & prodded, still can hardly walk. :-( Myotherapist in the back ground.

After seeing the Myotherapist we headed over the the Nevermind Adventures shop about a kilometre away and caught up with Matt, from there we followed him back to his house. That night we swapped travel tales, had some beers & shared a meal with Matt, Anna & their children, good fun !

Tomorrow (which is now !) we get new tyres & GPS, I'll let you know how it all turns out soon...catch ya !
  3. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Day 18, 19/04/17, 62kms, Torquay to Geelong & back.

Can't really call Wednesday a rest day, Jenny & I have heaps to do. First up we follow Anna, who is driving the car to "Road to River" in Newtown (Geelong) to have our new tyres fitted to the bikes. I have been having email & phone discussions with Tom for the past 3 weeks on what is going to be a suitable tyre for each of the bikes. Once we arrive there, Anna waits patiently in the car for us, while Road to River owner Peter takes care of us. I already have a few ideas but Peter shows me a few other alternatives in their vast array of stock.

xwqz355943.jpg
    My bike has done 19300km & Jenny's 15900kms our tyres are pretty worn out, time for some replacements.

Eventually I decide on the Continental TKC70's for my Super Tenere & for Jenny's Honda CB500X there isn't to many options due to the 17" front rim. The Avon AM53 trail rider seems to fit our brief so that is what we opt for.
    The bikes are left at Road to River for the tyre fitting & we head over to the Nevermind Adventures store with Anna.

xwqz037969.jpg
    Jenny with Anna (middle) & Kylie at the Nevermind shop, Geelong.

Anna has work to do & Matt had earlier headed into Melbourne to visit the Indian Consulate & sort out a visa for an up & coming tour. Jenny & I decide to go for a walk around Pakington Street, Geelong & find some breakfast/coffee.

My left leg is really sore & has a constant dull ache, after walking for 10 minutes I'm over it & we stop at a Cafe called Box Office made out of an old 6 meter Shipping Container. It was good but a little pricey. Afterwards we kill more time in a park & then more coffee at another small Cafe called Three Little Figs.

Around 12 noon we receive a call saying our bikes are ready for collection so Jen & I head back to Nevermind, have a bit of a chat with Matt & a customer who is on his next Rajasthan Tour then Anna runs us both over to Road to River.

xwqz524635.jpg
    Yay, new rubber ! Next job is to sort out some servicing. the 20000km service for the Tenere is a big one.

The tyres look great & Peter has given us a big discount off the sticker price of each tyre (about $200 in total) all up for the 4 tyres & fitting the price came to $1115. From there we use the smart phone to find a JB HiFi store (major electronics retail chain) & look for a GPS. We want to stick with Garmin as our computer account & previously purchased maps are all through Garmin, plus we know how too navigate our way quickly on the screen. Unfortunately all the Garmin vehicle GPS are now sized 5" screen or larger, our SW Motec cover is only suited for 4.3" ..... argh when will this bloody pain in my leg stop !! My sore leg is making me impatient with the sales assistant. The only 4.3" screen GPS is a TomTom which we don't want so we go for the $250 Garmin with the 5" screen, knowing it won't fit in the cover & I'll have to sort out yet another mounting option.

xwqz294151.jpg
    Matt & I , great to catch up & thanks to you & Anna for your help & a place to stay for a couple of nights.

From there Jenny & I head back to Torquey (amazed at how good a new set of tyres feel) & later we head out to a Thai restaurant for dinner with Matt, Anna, Stella & Hunter.

Tomorrow we tackle Melbourne traffic & try to find our way to the Air BnB we have booked in Saint Kilda.
    Shaggie and GutsyGibbon like this.
  4. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done Will!

Hope the leg sorts itself soon.
    Happyidiot likes this.
  5. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    thanks Shaggie, it seems I have an inflamed Piriformis (Groin) Muscle that puts pressure on a nerve. I'll rest it as much as possible over the next week in Melbourne. At least it will get better eventually. Will
  6. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Day 19 Torquay to St Kilda (Melbourne). 111kms

The first objective of our ride is completed. Arrive at Melbourne on the 20th of April to catch up with family & celebrate my youngest brothers 40th Birthday.

IMG_5024.JPG
    Time to load up the Beasts for our ride into Melbourne.

Not a very satisfying ride into the city. Jenny & I just belted down the M1 into a stiff breeze, dodging moderate traffic. We missed our off ramp to St Kilda which meant riding through a section of Melbourne's CBD to get back on track.

IMG_5026.JPG
    You have just got too love Cable Ties, I jury rig up a temporary mount for the GPS to get us into St Kilda.

The new Garmin GPS worked well & Jenny only had to toot at one car that tried to cut her off.

We arrived at our Air BnB at 1pm (check in is 2pm) but the keys were waiting for us in the special place, so we just settled in. Looks basic but nice & is in a convenient location.

IMG_5027.JPG
    At the St Kilda Appartment there is under cover parking for our bikes....great stuff.

IMG_5028.JPG
    Our home for the next week. It will do.

I don't foresee much riding over the next week in Melbourne so I won't bother posting to much until we get back on the road. Great to get here but I'm sure we'll both be keen to get going after a week of Aussie Rules Football, Dinners, Drinks and sightseeing. Back soon

BC Brian and B10Dave like this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great trip so far. Really enjoying travelling with both of you. Carry on.
    Happyidiot likes this.
  8. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, enjoy your week and hopefully the pain in the leg eases up. When I did the GOR I stayed with friends in Glenroy for a week, we went to the Superbikes and the Avalon Airshow. Had an awesome time.
    Happyidiot likes this.
  9. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the positive comments B10Dave. I'll do a quick post of some of our Melbourne antics, but want to keep focused on the ride. A week will whizz by here. Will
  10. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    MaverickAus we were advised by fellow travelers that Glenroy is a great place to camp. Riding the GOR was so much better then driving ( which we have done twice). Thanks for the feedback keeps me going. Will
    Joern601 likes this.
  11. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't help ya with the camping I stayed with friends in their apartment. I'd never done the GOR before it was good to do it both ways. I left Glenroy went west to Warrnambool, went to Horsham the next day and back to Warrnambool going on both sides of the Grampians. Next day back to Glenroy.

[​IMG]
    Happyidiot likes this.
  12. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Happyidiot likes this.
  13. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    While talking to Matt (of Nevermind) I came to the realisation that Victoria is blessed with an abundance of great roads to ride. Once we get back from NZ we will most likely follow the Vic coast line up to NSW. Winter will be here so Jen & I'll make our way north until it warms up a bit. Hey MaverickAus that is a nice panoramic pic of the 12 Apostles.
  14. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Shaggie likes this.
  15. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, that was using my LG G3, it has a great camera. If you are coming through Coffs Harbour shoot me a PM and I'll try to get out for a ride with ya or even just meet for a coffee or something.
    Happyidiot likes this.
  16. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Mate, that would be great. Reasonably sure we will pass through Coffs.
  17. Shaggie

Oddometer:
    Will n Jen

Pellegrini's is not fancy but its genuine! After all the talk of Lygon Street and then getting hassled by every owner as you pass (even though we found a fab place to eat), Pellegrini's is no stress and comfortable - no printed menu, 'you're eating what we're cooking" :dukegirl

The owners Nino and Sisto run a cool place. Definitely try the granita - a sensational watermelon drink. They're not licensed but if you snuck a bottle in and then asked, I'm pretty sure they'd give you some glasses....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Happyidiot likes this.
  18. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Third Map of our Ride across Australia so far.
    Day 10 Burra, South Australia to Day 19 (20th of April) Melbourne, Victoria.
    Approximately 1508kms, (total distance ridden since leaving Mandurah, Western Australia 3454kms).

IMG_2526.PNG
  19. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Day 20, 21st April 2017, Friday to Day 25, Wednesday 26th of April.
    A week of catching up with Family, Eating, Drinking, AFL games & some shopping.
    Not very much motorbike riding action, both of us went out on Jenny's little Honda CB500X a few times around St Kilda but mostly we made our way around the city on Trams & Uber Taxis.

Friday was a big one as it was my brother "Steve's" 40th Birthday. The Clan all went out on the town, ate to much meat at Meat Maidens, drank to much Beer & spent way too much, good night though.

IMG_5046.JPG
    Birthday boy, Steve, yours truly "Happyidiot", Bill "Bonza" & Geoff.....photo of me with my two brothers & Dad. We all came to Melbourne from different parts of Australia.

Saturday we caught up with Jenny's cousin "Lucas" & his girlfriend "Jackie" (who both permanently live in Melbourne).
    On the Sunday we both saw another Myotherapist in St Kilda, he was very good & provided some pain relief but I've now come to the conclusion that I have torn a muscle in my upper left leg & only time will make it better. Every day it feels slightly better. Last time I did this sort of injury it took at least 6 weeks to heal, I'm only into week 3 now so just have to be extra careful while I grin & bare it.

IMG_5049.JPG
    Jackie & Jenny check out some street art in Collingwood, while Lucas locks up his work ute.

We tried to buy new helmets on Monday the 24th at Peter Steven's Motorcycles on Elizabeth St, Melbourne, CBD & even when we were trying on $900 Shoei Modular Helmets none of the 3 Staff standing around the counter would come over and assist us. We gave up and it looks like we will continue to use our old HJC Sport Helmets until at least we get to Sydney.
    More success shopping at the Kathmandu Outdoor Clothing Store, they had a large clearance sale on so we updated some of our travel clothes & jettisoned some of our old worn out stuff.

IMG_5089.JPG
    Jenny, happy to be at the MCG for the biggest non-finals Aussie Rules Footy game of the year.

The ANZAC Day AFL Football clash between Essendon & Collingwood, played at the MCG turned out to be pretty good fun. 83000 Fans all cheering for their team it was quite an experience. It is one of the bigger sporting events at one of Australia's most iconic grounds on the calendar and I'm glad we were able to see it. For the record, I'm a West Coast Eagles supporter, but since we obtained our Tickets through the Essendon Football Club (the Bombers) we barracked for them on the day & they ended up winning by about 20 points !

IMG_5106.JPG
    The first 3 Quarters it was close, in the forth & final Quarter the Bombers, pull away from the Magpies.
    Final Score:
    Essendon Bombers 15.10.100
    Collingwood Magpies 11.16.82

Enough now about our "Non-Bike" week in Melbourne, tomorrow we fire up both of the 2 cylinder parallel twin Beasts, get out of the "Big Smoke" & head East for Gippsland, which we'll check out over 6 days.
    Then on May the 2nd it's back to Melbourne, put the Bikes into Storage for a month & fly out to Auckland, New Zealand. Initially we intended to hire a Bike over there & ride two-up for a couple of weeks but it will depend on how my left leg is feeling...just have to wait & see ?
    Shaggie likes this.
  20. Happyidiot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input Oldbeer, somehow missed your post here. Looking forward to Suzuki releasing the 2017 V Strom in Oz, it will be about $5000-$6000aud cheaper then the 800 Tiger, that's a lot of coin so would be difficult to walk away from the V Strom 650. I think it would be a great Adventure Tourer for Jen.
    We hear the comment often that the Nullarbor is boring, Jenny & I have traveled across it several times, this is our first by Motorbike. It has a certain charm, there is heaps to see & do. Obviously straight roads & motorcycle aren't as much fun as the twisties, but occasionally it's nice to put the old brain into autopilot & just cruise along. :-)
    Take care, our ride recommences again tomorrow, looking forward to it.
    just jeff and Shaggie like this.